GDT: Florida-Ottawa 3 Dec 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panthersfan1989

Feb 24, 2013
S. Florida
This franchise is so awfully run that they instagramed a video of huberdeau missing and open net at practice. I'm no marketing wizzard but comon. I have no faith in this team. Tallon, viola... Or scouts.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Can we even get to 25 wins this season? My major problem with the team the last 2 weeks was the PP and they get 2 tonight but still lose? I know the 3rd Sens goal was a fluke but this team can't finish/bury those chances the opposition seems to do against us every night.

Very frustrating game to watch tonight. Refs didn't help at all but Tallon needs to pull the trigger on an "impactful" trade sooner than later. 7-16-5 is just sad.

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
Sorry folks actually had to go and listen to Potvin on the Ottawa feed because I am so sick and tired of listening to Billy and Goldie pumping the tires of players who are not deserving. McLean totally mixed his lines up tonight after losing a couple of games; how long do we have to watch the same lines thrown out game after game? This is a poorly coached hockey team and even more poorly managed. Please quit trying to sell me that Huberdeau, Barkov and Bjugstad are the cat's ass. Tallon knows the season is lost and he is totally in showcase mode ie. Olsen and Hayes. Sorry for my cynicism but it's all just so damn pathetic!

catEye

The Barkov Era
Dec 27, 2008
Miami, FL.

So was guds and goc n a whole lot more. Its not just one guy. This team have holes all over the place. I really dont know what tallon is waiting for at this point. To me Boyes or Hayes have no business being in the top lines. But then again who else u going to put at this point thats useful?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
So was guds and goc n a whole lot more. Its not just one guy. This team have holes all over the place. I really dont know what tallon is waiting for at this point. To me Boyes or Hayes have no business being in the top lines. But then again who else u going to put at this point thats useful?

Well again, it´s easy to say that trade everyone who sucks but how do you do that? It´s not like other teams are queuing up to get players from one of the worst teams in the league. And a guy like Flash, who is struggling, is actually a good player. Boyes sucks but he also leads the team in goals. Who do get to replace them? Tallon can´t just dump everyone like Versteeg and get mediocre talent or prospects back.

The team isn´t going to make the playoffs, no reason to sell these guys right now when their value is low. Only thing Tallon can do is hope a guy like Flash gets going and trade him when playoff teams run into injury troubles or are looking to beef up around the deadline.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
gearing up for ekblad.

maybe its time to let clemmensen get a start, i mean why not? not like it really matters at this point, so we don't have to start thomas, who's older, every game. give him a rest, he hasn't been that great the last couple of games. we got a back-to-back coming up this weekend, where clemmensen could potentially be used anyways. let markstrom stay in SA for the rest of the season (unless thomas or clemmensen is traded).

Gudbranson, Ekblad, Petrovic as our top 3 RD would be pretty amazing. really high on ekblad and would loveeeee to add him with gudbranson and petrovic. I'm NOT hoping we tank, id rather play well, but it seems its inevitable we get a top-3 pick. in order of reinhart (as a rw), ekblad, then dal colle as my preference...

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
gearing up for ekblad.

maybe its time to let clemmensen get a start, i mean why not? not like it really matters at this point, so we don't have to start thomas, who's older, every game. give him a rest, he hasn't been that great the last couple of games. we got a back-to-back coming up this weekend, where clemmensen could potentially be used anyways. let markstrom stay in SA for the rest of the season (unless thomas or clemmensen is traded).

Gudbranson, Ekblad, Petrovic as our top 3 RD would be pretty amazing. really high on ekblad and would loveeeee to add him with gudbranson and petrovic. I'm NOT hoping we tank, id rather play well, but it seems its inevitable we get a top-3 pick. in order of reinhart (as a rw), ekblad, then dal colle as my preference...

as great as ekblad is, we need offense in the worst way. we need everything, but specifically offense. i can't stand watching the inept forwards on this team. the young guys all would be better served with some veteran leadership around that has a clue. i remember arguing with a few on here (not naming names lol) about how the lightning were set up well for this season and how focusing on offensive depth is the way to go these days. its an interesting case study, and sad to see that a guy like bishop looks like the answer compared to marky these days. obviously, bishop has had plenty of time to improve, and marky will get better with age provided his confidence isnt shot (probably not an issue knowing his personality). i have no idea when we'll stop being inept, but i don't see it happening until after we make major changes through FA, trades, and perhaps another GM change; we'll see.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
as great as ekblad is, we need offense in the worst way. we need everything, but specifically offense. i can't stand watching the inept forwards on this team. the young guys all would be better served with some veteran leadership around that has a clue. i remember arguing with a few on here (not naming names lol) about how the lightning were set up well for this season and how focusing on offensive depth is the way to go these days. its an interesting case study, and sad to see that a guy like bishop looks like the answer compared to marky these days. obviously, bishop has had plenty of time to improve, and marky will get better with age provided his confidence isnt shot (probably not an issue knowing his personality). i have no idea when we'll stop being inept, but i don't see it happening until after we make major changes through FA, trades, and perhaps another GM change; we'll see.

outlets is such a big part of offense in todays hockey. good outlets can turn a mediocre forward into a good one, or a good into a great.

our transition game sucks and defensemen can help with that a lot

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i also said i prefer reinhart the most :) but if he's gone i take ekblad over dal colle. ekblad is going to be an absolute stud, and i still have a lot of confidence in gudbranson (but he needs to be paired with a real line mate, like campbell), and with petrovic filling it out on the 3rd would be incredible (theyre all big guys too).
and on bishop, he's always been solid, i remember i think it was his first start he shut us out, he's always been a solid backup and i knew he'd be much better than lindback. tb had the 2nd or 3rd best scoring in the league last season and still finished 3rd worst because they're blue line was lacking and they had bad goaltending. if you don't have goaltending, you will not win, plain and simple, bishop isn't a marquee name, but he's finally getting his chance and he's always been solid (not to mention hedmans been playing incredible and carle as well. D is improving). guys playing well…unfortunately.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Can we even get to 25 wins this season? My major problem with the team the last 2 weeks was the PP and they get 2 tonight but still lose? I know the 3rd Sens goal was a fluke but this team can't finish/bury those chances the opposition seems to do against us every night.

Very frustrating game to watch tonight. Refs didn't help at all but Tallon needs to pull the trigger on an "impactful" trade sooner than later. 7-16-5 is just sad.

If by "impactful" you mean desperation trade (trading young players for a "good" overpaid player that MAYBE helps us move up 2 places in the standings) I hope he doesn't do it. Let's face it, we are nit going anywhere this season. I think we are better served holding on to our young players for now and wait for trade deadline/offseason to make a big signing/trade. As much as the fan base is unrealistically hoping/screaming/cursing for a big trade, I just don't see it happening anytime soon. I wouldn't mind trading Flash at this point, would be happy with two decent prospects on the verge of playing in the NHL with some potential.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
I guess I am just not as high on Petrovic as most seem to be here. I mean, he has played very mediocre in the NHL when he was called up last year and downright awful during this preseason. Yes, I know he is having a good year in San Antonio, but like I said, so far not impressed by his showings with the big team. Same and maybe even worse goes for Robak. Another example of us over-valuing prospects.

CapeShamrock

Jul 15, 2011
I guess I am just not as high on Petrovic as most seem to be here. I mean, he has played very mediocre in the NHL when he was called up last year and downright awful during this preseason. Yes, I know he is having a good year in San Antonio, but like I said, so far not impressed by his showings with the big team. Same and maybe even worse goes for Robak. Another example of us over-valuing prospects.

My positive spin of the situation. Not concerned one bit with the direction of this team. I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel for sure. Out team scoring and defense will improve gradually over time as the younger players mature and we gradually supplement the roster with proven, mature, expereienced leadership. I expect several SA players to begin their migration before the season in over. Also the character of this team will begin to take shape.
with Skruds and Madden etc on the bench, you are not allowed to take shifts off and you are expected to skate the 180 ft and you are expected to play in your face, physical, gritty tough to play against hockey.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If by "impactful" you mean desperation trade (trading young players for a "good" overpaid player that MAYBE helps us move up 2 places in the standings) I hope he doesn't do it. Let's face it, we are nit going anywhere this season. I think we are better served holding on to our young players for now and wait for trade deadline/offseason to make a big signing/trade. As much as the fan base is unrealistically hoping/screaming/cursing for a big trade, I just don't see it happening anytime soon. I wouldn't mind trading Flash at this point, would be happy with two decent prospects on the verge of playing in the NHL with some potential.

I mean a Flash + prospect/pick trade or a Kulikov + prospect/pick trade would net us something pretty decent in return. Someone that would make an immediate impact, I like Hayes and Olsen but I more mean we need a player 25-30 years old who has proven NHL talent.

We can't keep piling up picks and hoping everyone of them is a winner. It's time for Tallon to do his job and make some trades, then come off season, it's time for Viola to do his job and open his wallet to help Tallon sign some FA's.

I know it's probably not easy for Tallon to just trade our underachievers but that's his job and packaging Flash or Kulikov with say Robak and a 2nd/3rd rounder would probably get us a top 6 winger or a top 4 d-man which we need desperately.

I don't think Flash is part of the "blueprint" as Tallon refers to and apparently Kulikov isn't either if he's being shopped aggressively. Those are our two biggest pieces to trade so let's get going, plus everyone is claiming the season is over so why not start building for the rest of this season and next?

I don't see Tallon trading our 1st rounder unless it's packaged for a legitimate 1st line winger or 1st line d-man. I'm not asking to trade our future at all in Flash or Kulikov am I?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I mean a Flash + prospect/pick trade or a Kulikov + prospect/pick trade would net us something pretty decent in return. Someone that would make an immediate impact, I like Hayes and Olsen but I more mean we need a player 25-30 years old who has proven NHL talent.

We can't keep piling up picks and hoping everyone of them is a winner. It's time for Tallon to do his job and make some trades, then come off season, it's time for Viola to do his job and open his wallet to help Tallon sign some FA's.

I know it's probably not easy for Tallon to just trade our underachievers but that's his job and packaging Flash or Kulikov with say Robak and a 2nd/3rd rounder would probably get us a top 6 winger or a top 4 d-man which we need desperately.

I don't think Flash is part of the "blueprint" as Tallon refers to and apparently Kulikov isn't either if he's being shopped aggressively. Those are our two biggest pieces to trade so let's get going, plus everyone is claiming the season is over so why not start building for the rest of this season and next?

I don't see Tallon trading our 1st rounder unless it's packaged for a legitimate 1st line winger or 1st line d-man. I'm not asking to trade our future at all in Flash or Kulikov am I?

I´m sure DT is working trades as we speak, no doubt. But even though we as fans would like to see a blockbuster trade right away, it probably hasn´t been available (or it would have been done). Like I´ve said couple of times already there really isn´t a hurry to do it either. They can´t salvage this season anymore or at least it is very very improbable.

I´m all for trading the first rounder btw. I think that could seriously heat up the conversations with other teams and open up options.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Anaheim Ducks traded Bobby Ryan to the Ottawa Senators for Jakob Silfverberg, Stefan Noesen and a 1st round selection in 2014.

Seriously, for a bonafide 30-goal, top-line player. That's worth it. Would like to see Tallon do something similiar.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Anaheim Ducks traded Bobby Ryan to the Ottawa Senators for Jakob Silfverberg, Stefan Noesen and a 1st round selection in 2014.

Seriously, for a bonafide 30-goal, top-line player. That's worth it. Would like to see Tallon do something similiar.

What would be our equivalent to that trade though?

Trocheck/Shore + Howden/Petro + 1st rounder...I don't think it would be beneficial for us to make that type of trade right now.

Ottawa was a playoff team last year and fully expected to contend this year. They lost alfy so they needed to replace that production. It's a completely different scenario. Bringing in a Bobby Ryan type player would get me excited but I don't think it will put many more wins on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad