Friedman: Florida linked to Jeff Skinner

Allhailtheleafs

Feb 18, 2018
What kind of
this is not close. carolina does not touch this.
add are we talking. I'm an outsider, and figured it favours Edmonton, but it can't be far off. Hanifin/Faulk have a lil more alue then klefbom/rnh. Skinner has more value then 10 oa and 2nd rounder. Figured it was close, but not sure how to seal the deal. Feels like Friday night

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You make it sound like North Carolina has none of those things...

Side note: I'm not sure how it applies to NHL players, but some states (NY being one of them) AGGRESSIVELY goes after people who work in their state even for short periods of time to collect tax revenue there. A guy I used to work with had a group under him that were in NY so he'd go up once a month to meet with them and spend a couple days with them. NY came after him aggressively and he had to pay NY state tax for the days he spent in NY. I was told NY state started this to go after large revenue streams that professional athletes bring in. Some other states followed suit.

My wife's uncle ran into this when he lived in Florida for 7 months of the year but NY 5 months after retiring. Because he owned a home in NY, the state came after him to tax his retirement even though he was officially a State of Fla resident. His attorney said it would cost more to fight it than to just pay.

Even if that's the case, for the remainder of the games played in FLA, the taxes are better.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
What kind of

add are we talking. I'm an outsider, and figured it favours Edmonton, but it can't be far off. Hanifin/Faulk have a lil more alue then klefbom/rnh. Skinner has more value then 10 oa and 2nd rounder. Figured it was close, but not sure how to seal the deal. Feels like Friday night

well you kind of explained it yourself. Both breakdowns show carolina coming out behind.

If Hanifin is on the market, I see a team paying heavily for him. Young D men with high upside are very elusive to nhl teams. He's the type of player Carolina needs to cash in on. (in short i see the Hanifin for klefbom probably heavily slanted to edmonton more than you do)

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Side note: I'm not sure how it applies to NHL players, but some states (NY being one of them) AGGRESSIVELY goes after people who work in their state even for short periods of time to collect tax revenue there. A guy I used to work with had a group under him that were in NY so he'd go up once a month to meet with them and spend a couple days with them. NY came after him aggressively and he had to pay NY state tax for the days he spent in NY. I was told NY state started this to go after large revenue streams that professional athletes bring in. Some other states followed suit.

My wife's uncle ran into this when he lived in Florida for 7 months of the year but NY 5 months after retiring. Because he owned a home in NY, the state came after him to tax his retirement even though he was officially a State of Fla resident. His attorney said it would cost more to fight it than to just pay.

Even if that's the case, for the remainder of the games played in FLA, the taxes are better.
professional athletes have to pay taxes in every state they play a game in. Their taxes are extremely complicated for that reason.

so EX. 41 games of his paycheck would be taxed at the tax rate of the team he plays for and the other 41 would be taxed at the rate of each state he plays in that night.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
professional athletes have to pay taxes in every state they play a game in. Their taxes are extremely complicated for that reason.

so EX. 41 games of his paycheck would be taxed at the tax rate of the team he plays for and the other 41 would be taxed at the rate of each state he plays in that night.

Thanks. I knew that states went after athletes years ago, but didn't know how pervasive it was.

Reactions: Beezeral

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad