Friedman: Florida linked to Jeff Skinner

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Bjugstad is playing wing for us just because we are stacked at center. So Rask is really not interesting at all.

Yeah I personally hold that 15OA quite a bit more valuable compared to a, let's say, 20-25OA pick this year.

If the Panthers are trading a first rounder, I'd rather try to make it a 2019 one.

Who's Florida's 3C. I know you have two great centres but after that...It's far from stacked. Unless their is a prospect coming up...I don't see a good 3C on Florida's roster.

Borgstrom seems ready for the NHL, Is he ready to play centre?

Holy Jokinen

Mar 4, 2007
Tampa
Who's Florida's 3C. I know you have two great centres but after that...It's far from stacked. Unless their is a prospect coming up...I don't see a good 3C on Florida's roster.

McCann or Borgstrom

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

McCann played 3C for us this year. And if you're just stat watching you might say that he's not good but he actually was, the problem was that our bottom six in general was horseshit the whole year and he didn't get much ice-time because of that.

And yeah, Borgstrom is coming up and he's going to be competing for that C spot too next year.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
McCann played 3C for us this year. And if you're just stat watching you might say that he's not good but he actually was, the problem was that our bottom six in general was horse**** the whole year and he didn't get much ice-time because of that.

And yeah, Borgstrom is coming up and he's going to be competing for that C spot too next year.

Yah, I like McCann but I don't like his 38.5% on draws. He's Probably more so a winger.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

More or less its been to expected that Borgstrom will be 3rd Line Center, since in his younger Age he need a bit of Icetime and expierence. So 4th Line make no sense for him, in the matter of developing Process.

McCann or Borgstrom

As said, also to expected there not much option for McCann. Upcoming 4th Line Center is the most possible Situation for him. He is not a Winger as Bjugstad are try to play. And his productive and stats and Developing trough the Year in Florida was not the big Outbreak. McCann still could play PK, has a good shot and is a good Guy into Board Game. The same stuff McKenzie plays, but McK Productive and good Ice Preformence Days or done.

Holy Jokinen

Mar 4, 2007
Tampa
Yeah it's his biggest problem but that's fixable. Certainly not a reason to move him to wing since he looks like a natural center.

Yeah. On the flip side he lead the team in +-. A flawed stat, of course. But I'd like to see Borgstrom there anyways, for obvious reasons.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Yeah. On the flip side he lead the team in +-. A flawed stat, of course. But I'd like to see Borgstrom there anyways, for obvious reasons.

It's Borg's job to lose imo. Tallon's own guy and they just burned a year of his ELC + the reports are that he is a pure center. McCann may still be ok as a winger.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I doubt Tallon is giving up the 15OA for Skinner unless it's a sign and trade. And if im Jeff i don't sign anything right now. Rather play my best hockey next year and then see what my options are.

I wouldn't be surprised if Skinner is with the team start of camp and then gets traded during the season, probably easier to get assets for him when teams know where they sit.

Pending UFA's just aren't a hot commodity in the summertime, especially for teams not in win now mode.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Skinner is super underrated. That guy is an elite top 6 forward when he's on his game. In some games he looks deadlier than phil kessel, but he is a defensive liability when he doesn't show up. I think he had some issues with carolina though and thats why he was inconsistent. Should be worth a top 20 pick +

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
id do 15th + McCann + Petrovic but considering hes only signed for one more year i doubt tallon would.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I doubt Tallon is giving up the 15OA for Skinner unless it's a sign and trade. And if im Jeff i don't sign anything right now. Rather play my best hockey next year and then see what my options are.

I wouldn't be surprised if Skinner is with the team start of camp and then gets traded during the season, probably easier to get assets for him when teams know where they sit.

Pending UFA's just aren't a hot commodity in the summertime, especially for teams not in win now mode.
There would be back channel discussions about an extension, before a deal was made.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
id do 15th + McCann + Petrovic but considering hes only signed for one more year i doubt tallon would.

Make it 2019 1st and I'd be ok with it. But even then your basically saying we have to re-sign him for that deal to make sense. So he will hold all the cards and will get whatever deal he wants.

And imagine if he doesn't work out? Ouch.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Make it 2019 1st and I'd be ok with it. But even then your basically saying we have to re-sign him for that deal to make sense. So he will hold all the cards and will get whatever deal he wants.

And imagine if he doesn't work out? Ouch.
giving up the 15th pick for a player of Skinner's caliber is not the end of the world. You also get the peace of mind that you aren't potentially giving away a lottery pick if it all goes to hell and the Panthers are a bottom 5 team again.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
giving up the 15th pick for a player of Skinner's caliber is not the end of the world. You also get the peace of mind that you aren't potentially giving away a lottery pick if it all goes to hell and the Panthers are a bottom 5 team again.

They can get a better player with this pick. And 8 years younger. And on ELC. Of course, they can get a bust as well.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

Lottery protected, like all 1st rounders should be.

And there could be a big difference between 15OA vs. 20-25 OA this year. I wouldn't just ignore the difference in value, especially if we are already including both Petrovic and McCann.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
15th OA for Skinner is chump change. The chances the 15thOA outscores Jeff during his career is pretty small.

As a Canes fan the plus has to be reasonably legit to justify not keeping him and just doing this at the deadline if necessary.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
15th + McCann I would do.

McCann is a better fit for middle-6 C than Victor Rask given what Brind'Amour is looking for. McCann's advanced stats indicate he has more to give offensively as he grows (potential top-6 C?). 15th gives them a good shot at Kupari/Kaut/Hayton/Smith.

Skinner has a full NMC so he will have to green-light any trade. If he waives, I'd guess there is a high chance that he would sign a fair-market extension.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
They can get a better player with this pick. And 8 years younger. And on ELC. Of course, they can get a bust as well.
of course they could get a better pick, but the reality is it's likely they won't. You have to trade value to get value. 15th overall

It's broken down perfectly here.

Florida Panther Hockey Website | Panther Parkway

Lottery protected, like all 1st rounders should be.

And there could be a big difference between 15OA vs. 20-25 OA this year. I wouldn't just ignore the difference in value, especially if we are already including both Petrovic and McCann.
You do realize that Carolina has to agree to that protection? They aren't going to give away a top 6 26 year old winger for cheap. You have to give value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad