GDT: Florida @ Caps, 3/7/2013 @ 7:00 PM

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Solid win even though it was the Panthers. Given the Caps have earned about a third of their points from them I'm not sure what to take from this game. I guess that question will be answered in the next few games. How many more games are left with the Panthers?

Decent night for the Caps league wide. The D and it's evolvement continue to be nice subject matter. LOL Of course so do the forwards.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Frigging Ovi was high 5ing him on the bench after his hip check.

Fehr (I think) was saying how his big hit vs Thornton got the team fired up too. He really gets the team and crowd going with those highlight hits.

A few more then opposing players will have to always check to see if he is out there for the fear factor thus affecting their game.

Random but I remember Tinordi's first game and that crushing hit on Jagr and we had been missing that presence up then since Stevens. Its a good feeling to have a guy back there that can at least do it a bit.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Olek already has more points than Poti Alzner Crabb and Johansson.

No, not combined. But he has more assists than all of them combined. Give him a few more days. Take your time coming back Green.

He has already thrown bigger hits than I have ever seen from Sarge in just 2 games. And bigger hits than I have seen from any RD all year.

Sure he may be solved by the league or run out of adrenaline, but his fans do not care. We have no expectations on a career minor leaguer.

The players are rallying behind the guy and it seems like hockey is becoming fun again, with him in the mix. The fans should get behind him too.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I like watching the guy well enough. I'd be thrilled/amazed/bewildered if he kept up a similar level of play for an extended stretch. I just remember how the big Sloan hit got everyone fired up and on his side for a while too. We know how that ended.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I like watching the guy well enough. I'd be thrilled/amazed/bewildered if he kept up a similar level of play for an extended stretch. I just remember how the big Sloan hit got everyone fired up and on his side for a while too. We know how that ended.

Absolutely good to temper the enthusiasm. So far so good but only 2 games I understand.

However not sure its fair to compare to Sloan. Oleksy is a different type of player and always racked up PIMs in other leagues. I don't remember but I don't think Sloan was a "tough guy" type in the minors. I could be wrong tho.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Sloan threw one hit got attacked and never tried to hit like that again.

That's probably why his tenure here ended before his contract ran out. That was not his game.

George invested time and term into the wrong type of player, a player that was just more of what he had plenty of, mobile and soft LH shot defensemen.

Olek is not redundant. He actually brings something new to the right side of the ice. The chance of getting hit.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Sloan threw one hit got attacked and never tried to hit like that again.

That's probably why his tenure here ended before his contract ran out. That was not his game.

George invested time and term into the wrong type of player, a player that was just more of what he had plenty of, mobile and soft LH shot defensemen.

Olek is not redundant. He actually brings something new to the right side of the ice. The chance of getting hit.
See, there's the rub. You only know after an extended viewing that Sloan was not going to end up hitting like that again.

With Olesky, we've only seen the good side. I don't think that we can assume that he will connect on all of his checks, never take any bad penalties, never put himself out of position trying to make a hit, etc. It would be the same as only watching two games of good Semin and making the assumption that every night will go as well.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
See, there's the rub. You only know after an extended viewing that Sloan was not going to end up hitting like that again.

With Olesky, we've only seen the good side. I don't think that we can assume that he will connect on all of his checks, never take any bad penalties, never put himself out of position trying to make a hit, etc. It would be the same as only watching two games of good Semin and making the assumption that every night will go as well.

Based on what people that watched him in Hershey his is a big hitter. Some quick and lazy research showed this to me:

in 170 games in Hershey Tyler Sloan ammassed roughly 250 PIMS. 7 fights.

in 55 games in Hershey Oleksy snagged 155 PIMs. Double the rate. 11 fights. Astronomically higher rate.

Oleksy seems to be a completely different player.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Based on what people that watched him in Hershey his is a big hitter. Some quick and lazy research showed this to me:

in 170 games in Hershey Tyler Sloan ammassed roughly 250 PIMS. 7 fights.

in 55 games in Hershey Oleksy snagged 155 PIMs. Double the rate. 11 fights. Astronomically higher rate.

Oleksy seems to be a completely different player.

So Oleksy takes more minor/non-fight PIMs than Sloan per game (although that's not adjusted for icetime, if they're really different in that respect); 1.82 to 1.26. More physical, or more "HHS" type penalties because he's a lesser skater?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

I kind of figured that was not Sloan otherwise he would have been on radar after my semi monthly reviews of the Bears stat sheets. Luc!

Yeah he can't do much better than he has done and that is acknowledged. But I have watched a parade of RD's coming in here and struggling with basics for years (yes, George's top guys), so take the good when I see it. I maintain a low expectation bar for unproven Dmen.

I wonder what his stats would be in Hershey if he wasn't running around trying to fight so much. I am seeing decent offensive skills for a guy that looked on paper to be a McPhee - an undersized goon with minimal points. I presume he got little PP time.

Like Sloan said when he was called up, its easy being a dman here. There is much less, bordering on no hitting (and fighting) to be concerned with, and playing with great players sure makes life a lot easier. Ask Sarge.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
So Oleksy takes more minor/non-fight PIMs than Sloan per game (although that's not adjusted for icetime, if they're really different in that respect); 1.82 to 1.26. More physical, or more "HHS" type penalties because he's a lesser skater?

PIMs are an indication of aggressiveness. Alot of those I bet were of the roughing variety. And I would further suggest that many of those were matching minors too. The more physically involved you will be the more penalties you will get generally.

He sure looks like a far greater competitor than Sloan ever did.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
PIMs are an indication of aggressiveness. Alot of those I bet were of the roughing variety. And I would further suggest that many of those were matching minors too. The more physically involved you will be the more penalties you will get generally.

How soon we forget Sloan's first game in Calgary where he blew up Langkow with one of the biggest hits we've seen from a Caps' defenseman in ages and then dropped the gloves with Bourque.

EYEuhFRAYtee

Smile
Apr 28, 2004
All Hershey call-ups must be judged through the prism of TFS.

The guy has looked decent in two games, it is what it is.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland

Some PIMs are an indication of aggressiveness. Some aren't. I imagine he was more of the aggressive type but you need the breakdown to really know, not just the number.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
How soon we forget Sloan's first game in Calgary where he blew up Langkow with one of the biggest hits we've seen from a Caps' defenseman in ages and then dropped the gloves with Bourque.

Keep being negative if you like. In the other thread we discussed this. Different players. Oleksy in Hershey got 2x the PIMs and 4x the fights, on a per game basis, than Sloan did in his time.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Roughing... you must mean Oliwaksy err Osalaksy err Oulletteksy.

Nailed it.

Just for kicks
Alzner Green
Kundratek Carlson
Erskine Oleksy

First team to rock 4 RHD. Kundratek sure looked comfortable in Ovi's spot in the LW circle.

EDIT - Sloan did drop the gloves. We got a 9 minute PP and lost.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Some PIMs are an indication of aggressiveness. Some aren't. I imagine he was more of the aggressive type but you need the breakdown to really know, not just the number.

But generally speaking this is true. Not many players can amass those kinds of PIMS purely through hooking and holding calls.

The 11 fights in 55 games alone should help solidify that.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Keep being negative if you like. In the other thread we discussed this. Different players. Oleksy in Hershey got 2x the PIMs and 4x the fights, on a per game basis, than Sloan did in his time.
What does their play in Hershey have to do with competitiveness in DC?

I'm guessing I was right in what I said last night: Orrleksy wouldn't be getting half the praise he is if he had 30 PIMs in Hershey and not 100+.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Sloan did drop the gloves--I just watched the video to confirm.

He essentially got tackled into the boards by Bourque, who came flying across the ice. That's the only thing that kept him from getting a fighting major.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
competitiveness in DC?

I'm guessing I was right in what I said last night: Orrleksy wouldn't be getting half the praise he is if he had 30 PIMs in Hershey and not 100+.

You know its ok to admit you were wrong right?

I mean there is no one on here who spewed more venom at GMGM in the day but since the turnaround in 07 I stepped back and gave him credit.

Oleksy looks good. Its only 2 games but he does and he provides many things our other D do not. You can't deny that. Be happy for him and the Caps.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ah thanks NB - he did drop the gloves my mistake. I knew he didn't get a fighting major and we lost all the MO of that hit by not scoring on the PP

That GDT may be worth resurrecting to see if it mirrors are most recent re: new shiny toy talk

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
competitiveness in DC?

Hershey is Hershey. The guy played 2 good games in DC. I don't blame people for looking back at Hershey to try to get an idea of what to expect down the road.

I wonder if he's playing above his norm. Maybe one of our beat writers will ask about it. If this IS his norm, then he's a solid 3rd pair guy IMO. But I think it's more likely that he's jacked up on adrenaline and playing above himself. Either way, as soon as one of the regular righties comes back, he's gone.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
You know its ok to admit you were wrong right?

I mean there is no one on here who spewed more venom at GMGM in the day but since the turnaround in 07 I stepped back and gave him credit.

Oleksy looks good. Its only 2 games but he does and he provides many things our other D do not. You can't deny that. Be happy for him and the Caps.

Wrong about what?

I stand by my opinion that signing any career AHLer to a 3 year deal is an absolutely moronic piece of contract negotiation.

And I stand by the fact that he's got a ton of holes in his game that haven't been repeatedly exposed yet, but likely will.

I've also said he had a solid few games, and it's good for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad