GDT: Florida @ Caps, 3/7/2013 @ 7:00 PM

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
Schultz signed that deal after his +50 season. While plenty wanted more from him after that nobody was saying he wasn't an NHL player. Give Olesky some time to expose his flaws for everyone to see...

I'm sure he has flaws, but all I've seen the last 2 games is someone make Schultz and Poti who should be working their butts off considering one is a UFA and the other is on the verge of losing his job, look like AHL call ups.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
So you think if he keeps this up, he wont challenge Kundratek for that 6th spot?

I don't see how he doesn't,.....he brings elements of the game Kundratek's play doesn't.

Kundratek is a legit prospect. Oleksy is a 27 year old minor league journeyman. He spent time in the ECHL last season. He is a nice story and good for him getting his cup of coffee in the NHL but he is not sticking around long term. He's here because he is a right shot. It is as simple as that. If he was a lefty he would be buried behind Poti and Schultz amongst others and nobody around here would even know his name.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I'm cracking up over here... "Orrleksy" "O'Gretzky" :laugh: good stuff

The guy is playing some solid third pairing hockey, but he's 27 so he's not going to improve very much... I also think some of the praise is way out of hand... yeah he's a shiny new toy, but he hasn't been extremely impressive... just a nice change of pace.

It's nice to have a physical defenseman in the lineup behind Erskine though, so I think he's a very serviceable 3rd pairing defenseman that, if he keeps his play up, should play ahead of 55 and 3.

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
The only reason he'd challenge anyone for that 6th spot of the healthy defense is his handedness--that's why he's on the roster, after all.

Watch him a bit more closely next game. He gets bullied around the net (Matthias drove off the half-wall right into the slot on the play that generated the goal), he doesn't skate with the puck, he rarely pinches, and he made one outlet pass that wasn't to his defensive partner or indirect off the boards (his second assist).

Other than physical maturity, I don't know what he brings to the game that Kundratek doesn't.

Well, every Caps D gets bullied around the net aside from Erskine, the skating with the puck comes with experience in the NHL. Kundratek was pretty hesitant himself the 1st 5 games or so.
The pinching also comes with experience. When you're called up, the last thing you want to do is cause an odd man rush.

Aside from his physical maturity, he's done a pretty solid job blocking shots. Holtby was talking him up after the Bruins game.

I know he's not Pronger,....he may not even be Corey Sarich , but if he can ease into the simple facets of the game, I like knowing someone is gonna plaster the opposing team and isn't afraid to drop the gloves, so I want him to succeed.

Too many of you are just salivating for this "kid" to fail, seems rather fatalistic and for what reason.....I've no clue.

Caps came back to beat the Bruins and just steam rolled the Panthers, and all I've read from some of you is just how inferior Olesky is and how it's just a matter of time til he fails.

Halpysback*

I haven't seen people rip into a player who came forth and dragged the team from the darkness into the light this hard since this very board cannibalized Alex Semin many moons ago (and to this day)

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
Kundratek is a legit prospect. Oleksy is a 27 year old minor league journeyman. He spent time in the ECHL last season. He is a nice story and good for him getting his cup of coffee in the NHL but he is not sticking around long term. He's here because he is a right shot. It is as simple as that. If he was a lefty he would be buried behind Poti and Schultz amongst others and nobody around here would even know his name.

Yeah well Alex Burrows was also an ECHL'er , spent most of his early years in the ECHL, then 2 years with the Moose, then finally with the Canucks at 25. Had 9 points with the Canucks at age 26 in 81 games, then,...well you know what happened then.

Point is, this whole " it's only a matter of time " stuff just comes across as arrogant and cocky.

Vabeachblue

Dec 5, 2010
Va
The kid has looked good for 2 games. I want him to play good, I like what he has brought so far. Plays with more heart than poti and schultz.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Yeah well Alex Burrows was also an ECHL'er , spent most of his early years in the ECHL, then 2 years with the Moose, then finally with the Canucks at 25. Had 9 points with the Canucks at age 26 in 81 games, then,...well you know what happened then.

Point is, this whole " it's only a matter of time " stuff just comes across as arrogant and cocky.

Yes there is always exceptions to the rule but IMO this guy is no different than parade of minor league journeymen who have come through DC since say '07 who all started out pretty well and then were fairly quickly found out by the league. To make it even worse though this guy plays with a decent edge so of course many are already in love with him.

The guy is 6' 190 lbs. He isn't big, he isn't fast, he isn't quick, he isn't very skilled, but damn if he isn't willing. How about we call him Rudy? Everyone loved Rudy...

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
Yes there is always exceptions to the rule but IMO this guy is no different than parade of minor league journeymen who have come through DC since say '07 who all started out pretty well and then were fairly quickly found out by the league. To make it even worse though this guy plays with a decent edge so of course many are already in love with him.

The guy is 6' 190 lbs. He isn't big, he isn't fast, he isn't quick, he isn't very skilled, but damn if he isn't willing. How about we call him Rudy? Everyone loved Rudy...

You're right , chances are he may not stick around, but I'm surprised you don't see a difference between him and Fahey, or Doig, or Kiwi, or Sloan, etc. I do.....it's pretty obvious he's playing with his heart on a sleeve and why in bloody hell does playing with an edge make matters worst?????

Cos fans on these boards are excited to see someone lay a few guys out, block a few shots?
Where's the problem man ?

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime

Any defenseman with a fully descended pair of testicles will look good in a Caps uniform when you are looking at them through Jeff Schultz goggles.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
You're right , chances are he may not stick around, but I'm surprised you don't see a difference between him and Fahey, or Doig, or Kiwi, or Sloan, etc. I do.....it's pretty obvious he's playing with his heart on a sleeve and why in bloody hell does playing with an edge make matters worst?????

Cos fans on these boards are excited to see someone lay a few guys out, block a few shots?
Where's the problem man ?

Everyone of those other guys played his butt of when he first got to the league. Everyone does that. It is just that that was a long time ago and also colored by the fact that eventually they were found out as not good enough.

Don't get me wrong. I think it would be great if I was wrong and Rudy went on to a long successful NHL career while leading the Caps to a cup. I just don't see it happening, certainly not the cup part at least... ;)

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
Everyone of those other guys played his butt of when he first got to the league. Everyone does that. It is just that that was a long time ago and also colored by the fact that eventually they were found out as not good enough.

Don't get me wrong. I think it would be great if I was wrong and Rudy went on to a long successful NHL career while leading the Caps to a cup. I just don't see it happening, certainly not the cup part at least... ;)

Well here's hoping Rudy scores the OT goal in game 7 of the cup finals ;)

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I think the new guy played well. I do think he gets somewhat exposed on the road however.

Like many have said about Erskine...its not pretty but simple and effective. Most important is hes healthy.

Im prob the biggest Green fan ever...but hes really disapointing. He has the biggest drop off of any young gun and hes always hurt.

I hope hes watching Carlson,Kundratek and now an echl call up do just fine without him. Maybe he comes back and earns his check with some goals.

Brave Sir Robin

Jul 7, 2011
Schultz signed that deal after his +50 season. While plenty wanted more from him after that nobody was saying he wasn't an NHL player. Give Olesky some time to expose his flaws for everyone to see...
That doesn't change the fact that at this point Schutlz is not an NHL level player.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
wow...you would never guess from this page that the caps won 7-1 and are on an 8-3 roll. i would there would be basic joy. the caps need only mind their own business the rest of the way and they are playoff bound. they have games in hand on all but the rangers. they are two points off off the devils and 3 off carolina by winning their games in hand.

yet here...its still pissing and moaning. you guys sure know how to have fun.

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland

As soon as that deal got done i knew it was a big mistake. That +50 was when he was playing with green at his prime and often that pairing got time with ovie in his prime. He got paid 2.5 for riding the coatails of guys tearing it up. Hes big, soft and slow. For years i couldnt understand why they would put 55 in instead of erskine etc. i always thought erskine at least brought toughness and grit. BUY BEAKER OUT!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
while thats true the even strenth goals against green, who everyone said couldnt play in his own end and ovechkin, who everyone said wouldnt play in his own end, were very small. schultz went some ridiculous number of games without being on the ice for a goal against of anykind as i recall.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I don't even know why we're having any kind of argument at all. The Caps should bring up that physical guy that skates really well that laid out that huge open ice hit up in Calgary a couple years ago. He looked really good those first couple games. I wonder what happened to him.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
It is rather interesting to see some haggle over a feel good story in #61 with the team on a nice roll. I am sure he will come down to realty soon enough. Guess some have to argue over something.

More pressing discussion, IMO, is whether the team is finally embracing Oates system, and this level of play is sustainable, or its nothing more than a hot streak.

I'd like to think its Oates system taking hold, but i will remain cautious. Been burned before.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Good game obviously.

Oates called off the dogs bigtime after the Ovie goal and that was respectful I thought. He probably did it more to rest the key players.

Don't like Wolski but how can you not give him credit for stepping up? Way to go WW and please keep it going.

Ribeiro has looked as good as he ever has and very good chemistry with #8.

LOVE Oleksy. He is really bringing it with the physical play and I see him becoming a fan favorite before too long. I am perplexed at how explosive of a hitter he is given his size.

Seems like a polarizing figure already. I've brushed through this thread and it is very apparent that the same posters who are being negative towards him are the EXACT same ones who have shown their lack of appreciation for physical play based and pretty much every one of their positions for the past 7 or 8 years I've been around. Not suprising or shocking.

To the people who are unbiased and those that are biased to physical play this kid has shown us nothing but good these 2 games and has made a big difference. Hendricks and Holtby raving about his physical play and it takes alot of pressure of #4 to have to do all the heavy lifting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad