GDT: Floms vs Wuld 9 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
So no one reacted to my comment that said Gaudreau will play next game. Don't want to make a thread because my source isn't proven. But what do ya kno, maybe he's telling the truth? I guess this will be a good test.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
So no one reacted to my comment that said Gaudreau will play next game. Don't want to make a thread because my source isn't proven. But what do ya kno, maybe he's telling the truth? I guess this will be a good test.

They did say during the game that Gaudreau's only problem is with slapshots, otherwise he's ok. So it's not impossible that he'd be back next game.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

He might be back next game? That's ****ing sick, I have tickets for that game! Hopefully he is back!! :yo:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, I've been thinking they're probably trying to get him into the game without fanfare to catch the other team by surprise. Would be great if he's back for Sunday.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
When gaudreau comes back what do you guys think the line combos will look like'

Tkachuk- Backlund- Frolik
Versteeg-monahan-Brouwer
Johnny-bennett-ferland
Hathaway-stajan-Hamilton?

Keep the momentum up with the first two lines and maybe get some mismatches with johnny.

Eventually I want to see what the combo of johnny-Bennett/Monahan- b/m could do

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Im hoping Gully will read these boards and like these line ups haha

I think most of us are on the same page that when Johnny gets back. Move Bennett to centre and put him with Gaudreau or Versteeg. With Monahan's new found chemistry with Versteeg this is what I'd like to see

Versteeg - Monahan - Ferland/Brouwer
Gaudreau - Bennett - Brouwer/Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Chiasson - Stajan - Hathaway

Once Bouma gets back he can go back and forth with Chiasson and Hathaway for fourth line minutes.

The top three lines are pretty interchangeable. Backlund's line is technically the top line but I put them in this order to show my hope that Monahan gets back to form and Bennett really explodes at center

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Gaudreau will play with Monahan again and they will make magic.

Do you think this because Monahan is starting to figure himself out? Because I think now that Monahan is coming back into form it might be good to keep them apart and allow Monahan to keep developing without riding on Johnny's coat tails

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Do you think this because Monahan is starting to figure himself out? Because I think now that Monahan is coming back into form it might be good to keep them apart and allow Monahan to keep developing without riding on Johnny's coat tails

If it is mental issue because of Monahan being too cautious because of his back injury, playing with Gaudreau could give him confidence boost. So I'd at least try them together and see how it goes.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I just think they are such good natural partners. Johnny is the possession driving player and Monahan is the finisher. Monahan has been heating up a little, Johnny might be able to make him catch fire and vice versa.

Lastly, I think they are best friends and they want to play together.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Judging by that play last night, where Mony had a clear look/lane to the net and decided to pass instead, I think it's definitely a mental block/confidence issue, usually he goes for the kill in that scenario.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Nice win. Gotta take the good with the bad with a player like Tkachuk, wouldn't tell him to change a thing.

Engelland-Jyrki were in constant fire drill mode to me, do not like that pairing whatsoever. So good to see Monahan string a nice couple of games together. Bennett on the other hand is fading this season :( he needs to get more ice time and play better.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I hope they hold Gaudreau back and think it would be irresponsible to activate him so soon. Even if his recovery is progressing very well, the first time he steps on the ice he's going to get slashed again, simply because he gets slashed every game. He needs to be completely healthy when that happens, IMO. Also I think given the nature of this injury and the fact he's able to keep practising while he's out it might be a good idea to make him wait until he's going a little stir-crazy; I hypothesise there's a higher chance of him playing very well from the get go if he's felt able to play for a while.

Also play him with someone other than Monahan, FFS.

In any case:

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gaudreau will play with Monahan, don't kid yourselves people. 2 seasons of success is not wiped out by a poor 15 games

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Gaudreau will play with Monahan, don't kid yourselves people. 2 seasons of success is not wiped out by a poor 15 games

I want to see them back together soon, I just think we should take advantage of the current chemistry and try and get Johnny some favourable match ups to ease him back in. Once he's really clicking, put him back with Sean who's had to carry his line a few more times, he's looked much better the last 3-4 games

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I want to see them back together soon, I just think we should take advantage of the current chemistry and try and get Johnny some favourable match ups to ease him back in. Once he's really clicking, put him back with Sean who's had to carry his line a few more times, he's looked much better the last 3-4 games

I don't think there's any specific chemistry outside Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik at the moment, and putting Gaudreau with Monahan does not mess with that.

L13

Oct 1, 2015

I've wanted them separated since last winter. When Monahan is in shape they're okay together, but Monahan does not help Gaudreau like I think Backlund could help him. I think playing with Backlund would maximise Gaudreau's production.

Now I understand the coaches may have valid reasons not to play them together even if they agree with me, such as not front-loading the roster, but I'm not convinced Monahan is a better long-term option than Bennett either.

I think playing Gaudreau and Monahan together until the end of the time and never even trying out different combinations to see if something else might work better is not very responsible. But I guess Monahan's contract has made that course of action inevitable.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Monahan, Versteeg and Brouwer have shown to have some chemistry together so why break that up? Don't see the point in loading up a top line while setting Bennett up to fail with the likes of Chiasson, Bouma and Brouwer. Spread out the wealth:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Gaudreau-Bennett-Chiasson
Versteeg-Monahan-Brouwer
Ferland-Hamilton/Stajan-Hathaway
Bouma

is a lot better than

Gaudreau-Monahan-Versteeg
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bouma-Bennett-Brouwer
Ferland-Stajan-Chiasson

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Monahan, Versteeg and Brouwer have shown to have some chemistry together so why break that up? Don't see the point in loading up a top line while setting Bennett up to fail with the likes of Chiasson, Bouma and Brouwer. Spread out the wealth:

Versteeg and Monahan have shown a great deal of chemistry lately, but I don't know how much Brouwer is contributing to it, to be perfectly honest.

It's interesting that Gaudreau-Monahan-Versteeg didn't really work, but with Brouwer on there now it is working. It seems like that is entirely down to Monahan being better, and so I'm hopeful that that line renewed could produce results.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I've wanted them separated since last winter. When Monahan is in shape they're okay together, but Monahan does not help Gaudreau like I think Backlund could help him. I think playing with Backlund would maximise Gaudreau's production.

Now I understand the coaches may have valid reasons not to play them together even if they agree with me, such as not front-loading the roster, but I'm not convinced Monahan is a better long-term option than Bennett either.

I think playing Gaudreau and Monahan together until the end of the time and never even trying out different combinations to see if something else might work better is not very responsible. But I guess Monahan's contract has made that course of action inevitable.

If we had a guy that played RW that could put the puck in the net on a regular basis you might have a point. But we don't. Money (when he's on his game) is one of the great young finishers in the game. Once that line starts getting the hardest pairings it will open up the TkaBackFro line to hopefully bump their scoring as well.

Our most obvious need (other than a solid #4 D) is a RW that complements those two well. Hopefully it gets addressed this coming offseason.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Versteeg and Monahan have shown a great deal of chemistry lately, but I don't know how much Brouwer is contributing to it, to be perfectly honest.

It's interesting that Gaudreau-Monahan-Versteeg didn't really work, but with Brouwer on there now it is working. It seems like that is entirely down to Monahan being better, and so I'm hopeful that that line renewed could produce results.

It's more Versteeg and Monahan and Versteeg and Brouwer. Basically Versteeg is a lesser Gaudreau and can elevate his linemates.

Which is also probably why Gaudreau-Monahan-Versteeg didn't work in the past and likely won't moving forwards; there's only one puck and both Gaudreau and Versteeg want it. Plus Versteeg seems be better on the left side.

Based on all that, wouldn't mind seeing

Gaudreau-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Monahan-Brouwer
Tkachuk-Bennett-Ferland
Bouma-Hamilton/Stajan-Hathaway
Chiasson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad