GDT: Floms vs Wuld 9 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Tkachuk will get a call but I think he realized what he did pretty quick the way he skated away. Love his intensity but I hate that ****

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I had such high hopes for Jokipakka, really too bad about how invisible he is.

We got the win though so I can't complain.

That is a bizarre comment on a night where he made multiple great defensive reads and added what I'm pretty sure was an assist on the Versteeg goal.

Only problem with Jokipakka is that he needs to play with a partner like Nakladal or Kulak who can really hold the puck in offensively and move the puck swiftly defensively rather than Deryk Engelland.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Anyone else kind of confused with their usage of Bennett?

The only players who started less in the offensive zone than Bennett were Stajan and Engelland (5v5). I really hope when Gaudreau gets back that they unite those two with someone like Ferland and give them a lot of o-zone starts.

Backlund's line will find their way into the offensive zone independent of where they start. Monahan can get some easier matchups and feed off Versteeg; and the forth line (if Stajan's moved down with Hathaway & Chiasson/Hamilton) will be able to start any zone.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Not a guy that needs to stand out. If he is invisible he is most likely doing his job.

That's probably true, but I notice a lot of bad plays out of him too, seems like it's either he's invisible or he's ****ing up.

I should just watch every shift he takes in the next game, I'm curious whether he really is making smart plays behind the scenes and he's just quiet about it a la Wotherspoon

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Anyone else kind of confused with their usage of Bennett?

Only that

1) he's still playing Left Wing when he is a centre and is terrible at left wing relative to himself at centre.

2) He's playing with bottom six linemates when he is a top six forward (and has all season except when he had Versteeg or Tkachuk)

Beside that, Bennett-Stajan-Chiasson is naturally a very responsible defensive line that can get up the ice quickly on the rush, so that might be the reason for their inflated defensive zone starts.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Beside that, Bennett-Stajan-Chiasson is naturally a very responsible defensive line that can get up the ice quickly on the rush, so that might be the reason for their inflated defensive zone starts.

In theory, I believe that. Over the past two games they've played most of the night in their own end. I just don't like the make-up of that line. Gaudreau cannot come back fast enough.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
In theory, I believe that. Over the past two games they've played most of the night in their own end. I just don't like the make-up of that line. Gaudreau cannot come back fast enough.

Over the past two games our third pair has been Jyrki Jokipakka and Deryk Engelland :laugh:

This is where Kulak being scratched is biting Gulutzan in the ass so bad but he's just not noticing because Kulak had a few bad plays three games ago when the whole team was crap.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I'm fine with Bennett being used on the defensive end of things. He was touted as a two-way player at the draft, I like him learning from a veteran two-way centre like Staj. He's not scoring but long-term this will make him a better player.

Once Johnny comes back I fully expect Bennett back at centre and for his game to be much better overall.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Over the past two games our third pair has been Jyrki Jokipakka and Deryk Engelland :laugh:

This is where Kulak being scratched is biting Gulutzan in the ass so bad but he's just not noticing because Kulak had a few bad plays three games ago when the whole team was crap.

While I think some may have to do with those two being on the ice together along with this group; they're not only played as a 5man unit. I'm not disagreeing that having Jyrki and Deryk together is a tire-fire; but I don't think those numbers are only due to those two playing with the Stajan line.

Tonight when the Backlund line and the Gio-Dougie pairing got that offensive zone start; after that FO win by Backlund; a full minute was played in that offensive zone with several scoring chances. Defensemen make a big difference; of course.

Bennett needs to be back at centre, and he needs linemates that can be offensive threats. Sam Reinhart and Leon Draisaitl aren't better players than him, but both are being used in top roles for their teams and producing similar numbers. Bennett needs to move back down the middle and play with someone like Ferland. Gaudreau as a LW for those two would kill.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
While I think some may have to do with those two being on the ice together along with this group; they're not only played as a 5man unit. I'm not disagreeing that having Jyrki and Deryk together is a tire-fire; but I don't think those numbers are only due to those two playing with the Stajan line.

Tonight when the Backlund line and the Gio-Dougie pairing got that offensive zone start; after that FO win by Backlund; a full minute was played in that offensive zone with several scoring chances. Defensemen make a big difference; of course.

Bennett needs to be back at centre, and he needs linemates that can be offensive threats. Sam Reinhart and Leon Draisaitl aren't better players than him, but both are being used in top roles for their teams and producing similar numbers. Bennett needs to move back down the middle and play with someone like Ferland. Gaudreau as a LW for those two would kill.

Preachin' to the choir, bro. :handclap:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I'm fine with Bennett being used on the defensive end of things. He was touted as a two-way player at the draft, I like him learning from a veteran two-way centre like Staj. He's not scoring but long-term this will make him a better player.

Once Johnny comes back I fully expect Bennett back at centre and for his game to be much better overall.

I hope so. Honestly I'm not sure that any other recent top 5 pick gets as screwed as he does limemate wise. His three most common linemates are Brouwer, Stajan and Chiasson. It's hard to believe that he's tied for 2nd in team scoring while tied to that mess.

Versteeg is better than Brouwer. I really wish instead of essentially finding ourselves a David Jones replacement (and paying him even more) that we would've moved some salary around and gone after someone with the track record of an actual top 6 player like Okposo or even Eriksson, who I know is struggling.

I don't know why Ferland is still being used on the 4th line I'd really like to see him and Bennett play together, with Bennett at center.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I don't know why Ferland is still being used on the 4th line I'd really like to see him and Bennett play together, with Bennett at center.

I assume, management's directive is to get Ferland signed to a team-friendly extension before he goes all Lance Bouma / Joe Colborne on us. Well, I mean, he's doing that anyways, from the fourth line, but eh.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Bennett's line just doesn't seem like they ever have a plan out there.

A lot of those situations with all three of them in the same spot. They seem to win a lot of battles, emerge with the puck, and then have no options to pass to at all. Complete lack of chemistry.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Dream lines

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Gaudreau-Bennett-Versteeg
Ferland-Monahan-Hathaway
Stajan-Hamilton-Brouwer

concentrate the stink on one line instead of keeping it spread out. though you probably want to inflate brouwer's stats this year so that Vegas might take him if we're lucky and 4th line minutes won't do that

also swap around Monahan and Bennett as required. but I want to see Monahan drive his line if possible

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ferland's got as many points as Brouwer but with six and a half minutes less per game. Long season, lots of games left, etc etc etc, but I'm leaning more and more towards exposing Brouwer and trading for a seventh forward worth protecting. Given McPhee's history with Brouwer (traded a first round pick while with the Capitals) good chance that saves Kulak/Shinkaruk/Poirier too.

And yeah, hopefully when Gaudreau comes back, Gulutzan pairs him with Bennett instead of gluing him to Monahan forever. Or at the very least, leave Versteeg to play with Bennett instead of Stajan/Brouwer/Chiasson.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Also, I'd really like to see a Kulak-Brodie pairing. It will even have the side bonus of taking Wideman away from Cameron so the PP might improve

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Dream lines

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Gaudreau-Bennett-Versteeg
Ferland-Monahan-Hathaway
Stajan-Hamilton-Brouwer

concentrate the stink on one line instead of keeping it spread out. though you probably want to inflate brouwer's stats this year so that Vegas might take him if we're lucky and 4th line minutes won't do that

also swap around Monahan and Bennett as required. but I want to see Monahan drive his line if possible

I'd really like to see these lines... Which of course means Bennett will continue to be misused and Gaudreau will remain shackled to Monahan.

That said, all I want... ALL I WANT... is to see Gaudreau with Backlund for one whole game. Just imagine it.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The view that Bennett is a better option at Center then Sean is just typical the grass is greener on the other side mentality.

Heard through the grapevine that Johnny will play on Sunday.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
why can't they both lose

Ain't that the truth. The Ducks are a Burrows away from having all the Canuck players I can't stand. I was at the point where I didn't even dislike the Oilers and I was starting to really feel bad for their fans and then they got all carried away with their hot start and starting all the **** talking with us and making fun of the Flames. That made me realize I'm supposed to hate them and not feel bad for my sworn enemies. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad