Flint Firebirds 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Most people's First Choice
Right. So it’s likely Piercey, Deline, Cranley. Panwar, Terry and Mayotte out. Which was one of the major reasons I was upset about the Cranley acquisition. They basically gave up a 3rd and a 5th (which is usually enough to land a solid, proven OA goalie....Cranley is not yet what I’d consider proven) PLUS the spot Terry/Panwar/Mayotte could assume. I HOPE they find a decent landing spot for at least two of them while gaining at least a little something in return but I find it unlikely.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
6 of 8 of Flint’s 2nd round picks have reported. The only elite top flight 2nd round pick we really missed on was Owen Power.
Mmmm, Aaron Brown was picked in the 3rd. I thought he was a 2nd rounder....still....Branch wasted a 2nd on Power, a 3rd on Brown and a 3rd on Tyler Dunbar. Those picks are just too high up there to repeatedly be blowing it. Once every few years? Ok. You have to take some risks but wasting a pick in the first 3 rounds every year can seriously hinder a franchise. It’s handicapping them now and did so last year too.

Getting quality players to sign since Rolf reacquired control hasn’t been an issue. Really looking forward to watch these kids grow and develop.

Reactions: MJ5 and Toldyaso

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Really excited for Reed Gee on the blue line. A warm welcome to him, his family, and friends.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Mmmm, Aaron Brown was picked in the 3rd. I thought he was a 2nd rounder....still....Branch wasted a 2nd on Power, a 3rd on Brown and a 3rd on Tyler Dunbar. Those picks are just too high up there to repeatedly be blowing it. Once every few years? Ok. You have to take some risks but wasting a pick in the first 3 rounds every year can seriously hinder a franchise. It’s handicapping them now and did so last year too.

Getting quality players to sign since Rolf reacquired control hasn’t been an issue. Really looking forward to watch these kids grow and develop.

barclay was never famous for doing alot of homework, he was pretty famous for not really working that hard.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I’m not sure Rolf and getting quality players to sign belong in the same sentence. Winning teams get players drafted and pro contracts. I think if any one individual is due credit, it’s Othman for reporting when drafted and again last season when some outside the organization were predicting a mass exodus.
Wasting a pick on Power would have been a tough pill to swallow; but if not done, London would have had Stranges and Power both rated within the top 5-6 at picks #21 & #23.
I believe Flint may have been a bit quick to pull the trigger on Cranely as well. But Flint can rotate four OAs since Cranely won’t start every game. There should be significant interest in all of Deline, Panwar, Piercy, Terry, and maybe even Cranely later if the firebirds’ younger goalies prove capable. Either one of Panwar or Piercy seem like a particularly good fit for the Petes; especially Panwar imo.

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Othmann Giroux Hayes
C.Pitre Lombardi Piercey *
Panwar * Kresler Hay
Assinewai K. Pitre Pitters
Bradshaw Petrou Aspinal

Deline * Kuzmin
Damato Terry *
Petrovski Bertucci
Gee Strohack

Day
Michellone

They will most likely deal OA fwd and Terry for 02 Goalie. If they get 03 G then they will keep Terry over OA fwd.

Team needs some size and physical presence and I would assume trades/moves are coming.
If our Import selection reports, Nikita Zozulia, that is another forward we will need to account for. Also, if Simon Slavicek comes back, that is another forward to add to the above list.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Without a major trade, the firebirds are probably better keeping two OA-D.
Deline-Terry
Kuzmin-D’Amato
Bertucci-Petrovski

There’s still a deep forward group. The 3rd line I have would be very difficult to play against imo.
Othman-Giroux-Hayes
Slavicek-Lombardi-Pitre
Bradshaw-Hay-Kressler
Aspinall-Pitre-Assenawei

Extras: Gee; and Petrou, Pitters, Zozulia, Patterson

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Deline-Terry
Kuzmin-D’Amato
Bertucci-Petrovski

There’s still a deep forward group. The 3rd line I have would be very difficult to play against imo.
Othman-Giroux-Hayes
Slavicek-Lombardi-Pitre
Bradshaw-Hay-Kressler
Aspinall-Pitre-Assenawei

You’re probably right but the old-school player in me still thinks they should go add a D and keep Piercey. It’s 2022 but there are still Xhekaj’s and Mutter’s around and I don’t think many players will want to anger Piercey next year. He struggled a bit late and through the playoffs but I really believe that was due to injury. He had points in like 13 straight during the season and absolutely turned a playoff game with one of his fights. I’d expect a return to form and a 40+ goal season while being one of the most feared players in the league next season. That being said, if they don’t add a D that’s a thin D core in front of a still suspect goaltender and Terry is very reliable and rarely takes an ill-advised penalty. Piercey would also yield more than Terry in a trade if they go that route too.

If our Import selection reports, Nikita Zozulia, that is another forward we will need to account for. Also, if Simon Slavicek comes back, that is another forward to add to the above list.
Kuzmin and I’d expect Slavicek to return and be the imports. Doubt you’ll see Zozulia this year if ever.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Savard18,
I like Piercy too, a lot! But more for a team like the wolves to play with the two big ‘05 born 1st round picks. With Flint, one of Piercy, Pitre, Hayes, Hay, Kressler would be relegated to the 4th line. Piercy can only play RW imo.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
You’re probably right but the old-school player in me still thinks they should go add a D and keep Piercey. It’s 2022 but there are still Xhekaj’s and Mutter’s around and I don’t think many players will want to anger Piercey next year. He struggled a bit late and through the playoffs but I really believe that was due to injury. He had points in like 13 straight during the season and absolutely turned a playoff game with one of his fights. I’d expect a return to form and a 40+ goal season while being one of the most feared players in the league next season. That being said, if they don’t add a D that’s a thin D core in front of a still suspect goaltender and Terry is very reliable and rarely takes an ill-advised penalty. Piercey would also yield more than Terry in a trade if they go that route too.

Kuzmin and I’d expect Slavicek to return and be the imports. Doubt you’ll see Zozulia this year if ever.
Forgot about Kuzmin. If Slavicek does come back, I agree we would not see Zozulia.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Deline-Terry
Kuzmin-D’Amato
Bertucci-Petrovski

Othman-Giroux-Hayes
Slavicek-Lombardi-Pitre
Bradshaw-Hay-Kressler
Aspinall-Pitre-Assenawei

Looks good with a few changes IMO.

Deline Terry
Kuzmin DAmato
Bertucci Petrovski
Gee

Othmann Kressler Hayes
Slavichek Lombardi C. Pitre
Giroux Hay Bradshaw
Petrou K. Pitre Pitters

Zozulia or Slavicek can only be one especially if Kuzmin returns.

Patterson may wait a year to come.
Aspinal Assinewei

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Still not sure about Bradshaw and Pitters. I suspect they will need a very good training camp and exhibition season.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Othmann-Kressler-Piercey
C. Pitre-Lombardi-Hayes
Slavicek-Hay-Giroux
Assinewai-K. Pitre-Pitters
Bradshaw, Petrou, Aspinall

Deline-Petrovski
Kuzmin-D’Amato
Bertucci-MacLean

Terry-Gee

I run 4 OA’s until they can find a landing spot for Terry. I like Petrou a lot but I try to find a good landing spot for him too. Hayes, Assinewai and Pitters are all familiar with each other from Compuware. Pitters is American and I’d think promises were made to get him to sign. He’ll only be 17 and he did have 4pts in just 9 games as a 16yo which is pretty decent. There’s gonna be injuries and Bradshaw and Aspinall with both find their way into the lineup. There’s speed with that F group and size. Piercey, Hayes, Bradshaw, Aspinall are big and Othmann, Pitre, Petrou, Giroux all hit or have an edge. I think I’m actually fine rolling that F group into the playoffs with no additions. I expect huge strides out of Bertucci and Petrovski. James played big minutes through stretches of the playoffs....I mean BIG minutes for a few games and I have no worries about him. MacLean? He’s big. He’s 18. He hits. He looked ok as a forward but we only saw a little of him on D. Can he handle a regular shift back there? I hope but I think Flint needs to use their limited assets to go get a stud D. Then hope they don’t have to use more for a goaltender. So that’s my logic on roster construction there but a bit of that is thinking with my heart and trying to find a spot for Piercey. I just find it hard to move on from someone I expect to be one of the top legit power forwards in the league in an era power forwards barely exist anymore. I think there’s a possibility they could move Panwar for a pick pre-season. Maybe. He’d be really good this year too. Mayotte was good in the playoffs. Really good at times but the OA market is crowded.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Just saw 2021 Flint 15th round pick Dylan Bly was traded to Guelph for a 12th round pick. Apparently Bly is related to part of the Storm ownership group.

hes the son of one of the new owners. guelph could have 3 'sons' on the roster with walker, bly and feldman

Reactions: Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I’d be quite a bit surprised to not see Pitters or MacLean at camp. There’s 3 OA D, 2OA forwards and Cranley. If they keep 1 OA F, 1 OA D that leaves them with only 7 signed defenseman including MacLean.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I’d be quite a bit surprised to not see Pitters or MacLean at camp. There’s 3 OA D, 2OA forwards and Cranley. If they keep 1 OA F, 1 OA D that leaves them with only 7 signed defenseman including MacLean.
Pitters is listed now.

Reactions: Toldyaso
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad