Flint Firebirds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Like I said Dent has made some awful decisions. Without Lombardi and Kuzmin not sure you would have had to worry about watching them get bounced from the playoffs, they probably wouldn’t have made it this year. You seem to have it all figured out, maybe see if Rolf will hire you as the GM.

My comment about wishing they would have stayed in Hamilton was a joke (guess I should have added the laughing emoji) because MJ5 said he was rooting for anyone but Othmann in the East and by default rooting for Hayes and White is rooting for Othmann.
Well, what I actually wanted was Dent to strip the cupboards bare adding what needed to be added to make a serious run at a Championship. Build around your boys and give them a REAL shot at a Championship. Like every recent OHL Champion has done because that’s the obvious, proven formula for success. It’s basic 5th grade OHL GM material. Once he had dropped the ball on EVERYbody else (Constantini, Arcuri, Pastujov, Kyrou, DelBelBelluz, Del Mastro, Winterton, Humphrey, Wright, Dionicio, Harrison, Holmes, Hayes, Gavin White, Morrison, Beck, Hache, Mintyukov, Savard, Bloom, Zhilkin, Fimis, Sirrizotti, Moore, Zito etc….are you starting to sense a theme here? All those star players went from rebuilding teams to contenders for a reason.) it became OBVIOUS Flint was done and would be out in the 1st round, 2nd at best. As I said. Was I wrong? The Soo wasn’t catching Flint no matter what. The finished 20pts behind them in the standings. So it’s out in the 1st round and they’re down 6 picks with Dann maybe filling an OA spot next year. Or you could do what me and others were yelling as the trade deadline approached and have a bunch more picks and another young star player on your roster. It’s not rocket science. It’s basic have just a little common sense and knowledge on how this league works. Perhaps you’re fine with never actually winning anything and just crushing on Amadeus every night for a few weeks longer but I’d rather celebrate a Championship. Preferably WITH Amadeus and Kuzmin on the ice but if that’s not gonna happen, move them to a place where they can realize that goal. It’s really really easy to see. Look at who’s left in the playoffs. 7 teams that added significant players at the deadline and one that beat Flint because Dent blew it.

Watch game 7 replay, they in fact blew the play dead and then it took forever for it to be fixed.
Yeah. That’s the point. It’s NOT supposed to be blown dead. It’s happened in Flint twice in the last two seasons and they didn’t blow it dead. It’s in the rule book. As is having to leave the ice if the equipment can’t be fixed in a timely manner.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I know it's not really my "place" to talk & being a Sting fan my opinion on how to build a good team should definitely be taken with a grain of salt with our history, but in saying that..

Staying put/standing pat for me is always the absolute worst thing you can do. I know its not as cut & dry as we are going all-in! Or sell everything & tank! But you should be hovering in one of those areas.

look at the past few OHL Finals.

2022 ~ HAM-WSR. 2 most aggressive teams at the deadline.

2019 ~ GUE-OTT, the 2 most aggressive teams at the deadline.

2018 ~ SSM-HAM. Both swing big at the deadline & went all-in.

2017 ~ ER-MISS. Both added in the yr prior & yr of to go for it.

The list keeps going but u get my point. Common occurrence on those teams? They almost all had just a brutal season a yr or 2 before going for it because they sold off instead of being average. Added a ton of picks & Young studs then when it was go-time they were loaded at the deadline to add a superstar or two to truly go on a run.

You guys 100% win the West last yr if Dent was a bit more aggressive at the deadline. Like Windsor was. This yr I'm truly shocked at how he managed it. Your core team was really good to start the yr. Othmann stuff hurt. The thing he couldn't do IMO was ride it out which is what he did. Had to decide we use these assets to go for it NOW & we beat Sarnia to Pastujov, or Windsor to Harrison, or LDN to Winterton.. or we sell Lombardi/Kressler for a sh*t ton & next yr/yr after we r elite. Just my opinion. Sorry for novel haha.

letsgofirebirds1

Mar 15, 2016
Well, what I actually wanted was Dent to strip the cupboards bare adding what needed to be added to make a serious run at a Championship. Build around your boys and give them a REAL shot at a Championship. Like every recent OHL Champion has done because that’s the obvious, proven formula for success. It’s basic 5th grade OHL GM material. Once he had dropped the ball on EVERYbody else (Constantini, Arcuri, Pastujov, Kyrou, DelBelBelluz, Del Mastro, Winterton, Humphrey, Wright, Dionicio, Harrison, Holmes, Hayes, Gavin White, Morrison, Beck, Hache, Mintyukov, Savard, Bloom, Zhilkin, Fimis, Sirrizotti, Moore, Zito etc….are you starting to sense a theme here? All those star players went from rebuilding teams to contenders for a reason.) it became OBVIOUS Flint was done and would be out in the 1st round, 2nd at best. As I said. Was I wrong? The Soo wasn’t catching Flint no matter what. The finished 20pts behind them in the standings. So it’s out in the 1st round and they’re down 6 picks with Dann maybe filling an OA spot next year. Or you could do what me and others were yelling as the trade deadline approached and have a bunch more picks and another young star player on your roster. It’s not rocket science. It’s basic have just a little common sense and knowledge on how this league works. Perhaps you’re fine with never actually winning anything and just crushing on Amadeus every night for a few weeks longer but I’d rather celebrate a Championship. Preferably WITH Amadeus and Kuzmin on the ice but if that’s not gonna happen, move them to a place where they can realize that goal. It’s really really easy to see. Look at who’s left in the playoffs. 7 teams that added significant players at the deadline and one that beat Flint because Dent blew it.

Yeah. That’s the point. It’s NOT supposed to be blown dead. It’s happened in Flint twice in the last two seasons and they didn’t blow it dead. It’s in the rule book. As is having to leave the ice if the equipment can’t be fixed in a timely manner.
...because being an OHL GM is just like being Sonny Weaver Jr. on Draft Day. It's not like you have a bunch of other teams competing for those same players. How do you know that Dent didn't have trades worked out that fell through? Were you in his office? Did you speak to any of the players? But then again, you do know 5th grade OHL GM stuff. Perhaps others know 6th grade or even 12th grade.
As for me, I'm out. Over and over again you belittle people who might have a different opinion than you have. You've already chased a few people out of this forum. I'm going to be a Flint fan, come what may. You go ahead and be a "superfan." Soon, you'll be all alone in here.

Reactions: Hockytwn51419

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I know it's not really my "place" to talk & being a Sting fan my opinion on how to build a good team should definitely be taken with a grain of salt with our history, but in saying that..

Staying put/standing pat for me is always the absolute worst thing you can do. I know its not as cut & dry as we are going all-in! Or sell everything & tank! But you should be hovering in one of those areas.

look at the past few OHL Finals.

2022 ~ HAM-WSR. 2 most aggressive teams at the deadline.

2019 ~ GUE-OTT, the 2 most aggressive teams at the deadline.

2018 ~ SSM-HAM. Both swing big at the deadline & went all-in.

2017 ~ ER-MISS. Both added in the yr prior & yr of to go for it.

The list keeps going but u get my point. Common occurrence on those teams? They almost all had just a brutal season a yr or 2 before going for it because they sold off instead of being average. Added a ton of picks & Young studs then when it was go-time they were loaded at the deadline to add a superstar or two to truly go on a run.

You guys 100% win the West last yr if Dent was a bit more aggressive at the deadline. Like Windsor was. This yr I'm truly shocked at how he managed it. Your core team was really good to start the yr. Othmann stuff hurt. The thing he couldn't do IMO was ride it out which is what he did. Had to decide we use these assets to go for it NOW & we beat Sarnia to Pastujov, or Windsor to Harrison, or LDN to Winterton.. or we sell Lombardi/Kressler for a sh*t ton & next yr/yr after we r elite. Just my opinion. Sorry for novel haha.
I don’t really see it as all Flint did was ride it out. I do think Dent was a bit handcuffed by the fact that his 1st picked 16 yr olds brother plays for the team.
In the Othmann trade Dent got the big D in Guryev probably for an OA season and a couple of high picks. In the D’Amato trade he got another 6’4” D for 2-3 seasons. Dann should also play another season.
I don’t think Flint had to sell.
The team has a good group of ‘04 & ‘05 born. In the last draft Flint selected 1, 2, 3-3s, 4, 2-5s. This upcoming draft Flint is positioned to pick 1, 2-2s, 3, 3*, 4, 3-5s, 2-6s, 2-7s.

Flint at any time in the next few seasons is in as good of a position or better to go ‘all-In’ than Sarnia or Peterborough were this season imo.

Hockytwn51419

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2023

Apparently you’re the only one who gets to have an opinion. Stop being such an @$$ to everyone who doesn’t share YOURS. FYI, I would like to celebrate a championship team and just because I like to watch Lombardi doesn’t mean I’m crushing on him, but hey I guess because I like watching the entire team and some of the other teams I must be crushing on all of them as well.

Next time just scroll past anything I post.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I don’t really see it as all Flint did was ride it out. I do think Dent was a bit handcuffed by the fact that his 1st picked 16 yr olds brother plays for the team.
In the Othmann trade Dent got the big D in Guryev probably for an OA season and a couple of high picks. In the D’Amato trade he got another 6’4” D for 2-3 seasons. Dann should also play another season.
I don’t think Flint had to sell.
The team has a good group of ‘04 & ‘05 born. In the last draft Flint selected 1, 2, 3-3s, 4, 2-5s. This upcoming draft Flint is positioned to pick 1, 2-2s, 3, 3*, 4, 3-5s, 2-6s, 2-7s.

Flint at any time in the next few seasons is in as good of a position or better to go ‘all-In’ than Sarnia or Peterborough were this season imo.
FLT had also been building for this 2 yr run. Last yr he passed up going for it (cost himself a championship if not an OHL championship) & this yr I fully acknowledge the Othmann situation sucked, but to me you make a decision what kind of yr it is at that point.

He follows it up by trading Petrovskiy a solid young D. To me that signals we have traded away a young piece who'd be a staple for years to come to add picks presumably to trade because why else trade a 17 yr old D. I didn't like the D'Amato swap at all. He was thriving there. Solid production, was amongst the league leaders at +21. Smith much like Guryev is a big body, but he's no more than a 3rd pair guy. That Dann trade was an abomination, too. 6 picks for a guy with SIX goals?? He did no better in FLT than NIA.

I mentioned it when the trades happened trading 2 "modern" style D who could skate & make good outlet passes for 2 "throwback" D had me scratching my head. Watching the SAG series for me showcased what I was worried about. Couldn't move it quickly, looked slow on D, chased hits instead of playing positionally.

Maybe Couslon threatened them he'd demand out if they didn't take Kaden, but if u didn't wanna be handcuffed by not being able to trade your 1st .. don't take his brother! At the time a majority of ppl thought it was a rather big reach, too if I remember correctly. Passed up everybody's fave Parekh lol. Christoforo, too who's unbelievable.

In the end: Traded Othmann, D'Amato, Petrovski, Two 4ths, 8th.

Got back Dann, Guryev, Smith, 2nd & two 5ths. Not great. Not great at all.

Maybe he's building something great, but looking at the roster it'll be just okay next yr (losing a lot) & it'll be the final season for Guryev, Hayes, Dann & Giroux (3 of their 4or5 best Fs).. Idk. Just not a fan whatsoever of his work the last 2 years as a GM. Apologize again for the novel lol. Respect your guys opinion just disagree.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
FLT had also been building for this 2 yr run. Last yr he passed up going for it (cost himself a championship if not an OHL championship) & this yr I fully acknowledge the Othmann situation sucked, but to me you make a decision what kind of yr it is at that point.

He follows it up by trading Petrovskiy a solid young D. To me that signals we have traded away a young piece who'd be a staple for years to come to add picks presumably to trade because why else trade a 17 yr old D. I didn't like the D'Amato swap at all. He was thriving there. Solid production, was amongst the league leaders at +21. Smith much like Guryev is a big body, but he's no more than a 3rd pair guy. That Dann trade was an abomination, too. 6 picks for a guy with SIX goals?? He did no better in FLT than NIA.

I mentioned it when the trades happened trading 2 "modern" style D who could skate & make good outlet passes for 2 "throwback" D had me scratching my head. Watching the SAG series for me showcased what I was worried about. Couldn't move it quickly, looked slow on D, chased hits instead of playing positionally.

Maybe Couslon threatened them he'd demand out if they didn't take Kaden, but if u didn't wanna be handcuffed by not being able to trade your 1st .. don't take his brother! At the time a majority of ppl thought it was a rather big reach, too if I remember correctly. Passed up everybody's fave Parekh lol. Christoforo, too who's unbelievable.

Maybe he's building something great, but looking at the roster it'll be just okay next yr (losing a lot) & it'll be the final season for Guryev, Hayes, Dann & Giroux (3 of their 4or5 best Fs).. Idk. Just not a fan whatsoever of his work the last 2 years as a GM. Apologize again for the novel lol. Respect your guys opinion just disagree.
The Firebirds’ roster for next season is more than just ok, and will be loaded with ‘06 & ‘07 prospects.

About going all-in last season, only Hamilton did that. Windsor added, but the moves were for the most part lateral. Henault & Currie for MacDonald & Ladd. Christopolous turned out to be a gift from NB honouring a request for more TOI on another team.

I agree with some stuff. The price paid for Dann was a surprise. Similar to G.Frasca for Kingston, K.Pitre was a bit of reach. But not necessarily the wrong pick.

The part about about the modern day D though, there will be 20 like D’Amato next season, and 20-40 more ‘modern day D’ a year or more away from being able to defend their position.
There is real potential for an OA season of Guryev to be a real difference maker on ice for Flint or unique option for deadline buyers.
D’Amato for Smith when you have Kuzmin, Deline, and future star Bertucci should not be a head scratcher imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toldyaso

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Go back and watch it again and also read the rule book again. It's just before the 51-minute mark of the video. The referee lets the play continue, Lennox flops around and makes a couple saves with no blade and then the Spirit defender chops the puck out and the ref blows the whistle. EXACTLY what the rule book says. I don't know what happened in your previous games but even our announcer said that ref Cairns blew the whistle as soon as the Spirit gained control of the puck. Now I think they gave him WAY, WAY too much time to repair it and I fully expected Oke to have to go in while it was being repaired.

Here's the rule from the rule book:

When a goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask or his skate blade and his team has control of the puck, play shall be stopped immediately to allow the goalkeeper the opportunity to regain his helmet and/or face mask or skate blade. When the opposing team has control of the puck, play shall only be stopped if there is no immediate and impending scoring opportunity. (edit: The ref allowed the scoring opportunity to continue and only blew the whistle when the Spirit got possession.) This stoppage of play must be made by the Referee. When play is stopped because the goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask, the ensuing face-off shall take place at one of the defending team’s end zone face-off spots.

Reactions: bcspragu

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

Agree with pretty much all of it and your previous post. I thought last year was one of the rare years it was a good idea to stand pat for Flint. I was wrong, if Flint had added Perrott and a solid top 6 forward they’re on to the Finals and maybe even a title vs a beat up Bulldogs squad. I think dirty is correct that there’s an opportunity to simulate what Sarnia and Peterborough did this year next year though. Possibly. Couple issues that concern me there though are 1. Flint doesn’t have a Voit or Robertson to start with. 2. It will completely drain the cupboards dry as Sarnia, Peterborough, Windsor, Kitchener fans know and see right now. That was unnecessary. Flint could have positioned themselves to blow the doors off any trade competitors next year if need be and still have picks and young talent left. 3. Yeah…..we HOPE the ‘06’s and 07’s are good but we haven’t seen enough out of the ‘06’s yet to know that and if they were THAT good we would have seen more of them this year. Which leads me to believe they may struggle to draft impact ‘07’s this year. We’ll see. I think Flint is set up ok next year with the ability to climb towards the top of the standings but I hope they realize their mistakes and prepare to build a serious contender around the ‘05’s.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Agree with pretty much all of it and your previous post. I thought last year was one of the rare years it was a good idea to stand pat for Flint. I was wrong, if Flint had added Perrott and a solid top 6 forward they’re on to the Finals and maybe even a title vs a beat up Bulldogs squad. I think dirty is correct that there’s an opportunity to simulate what Sarnia and Peterborough did this year next year though. Possibly. Couple issues that concern me there though are 1. Flint doesn’t have a Voit or Robertson to start with. 2. It will completely drain the cupboards dry as Sarnia, Peterborough, Windsor, Kitchener fans know and see right now. That was unnecessary. Flint could have positioned themselves to blow the doors off any trade competitors next year if need be and still have picks and young talent left. 3. Yeah…..we HOPE the ‘06’s and 07’s are good but we haven’t seen enough out of the ‘06’s yet to know that and if they were THAT good we would have seen more of them this year. Which leads me to believe they may struggle to draft impact ‘07’s this year. We’ll see. I think Flint is set up ok next year with the ability to climb towards the top of the standings but I hope they realize their mistakes and prepare to build a serious contender around the ‘05’s.
Starting with Hayes is as good as starting with Robertson or Voit imo, maybe better. Starting with Guryev, Giroux, & Dann is better than starting with Piercey, Deline, & Cranely.

It would be kind of a big deal if the Firebirds can sign or trade R.Patterson.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Starting with Hayes is as good as starting with Robertson or Voit imo, maybe better. Starting with Guryev, Giroux, & Dann is better than starting with Piercey, Deline, & Cranely.
It would be kind of a big deal if the Firebirds can sign or trade R.Patterson.
Whew. I guess both those are closer than I thought now that I think about it. Hayes doesn’t drive play quite the way Voit and Robertson do and I’d prefer my elite forward be down the middle but Hayes could net 50+ next year which neither of those two were gonna do. You can do the OA math a few different ways. Cranley became a back-up, so that was a waste of an OA spot but I’m not a huge fan of Nolan Dann as an OA either. He was one of the better forwards in the playoffs on Lombardi’s line and had some killer plays. He really stepped up but he’s a bit of a perimeter player and without an elite C, I’m concerned he doesn’t become a ghost like he was during the regular season. I think Giroux has a big year though and I get what StingUpdates is saying about Guryev but I value him just a little higher. He doesn’t make a ton of mistakes, saves himself often when he does, can produce…some offense…and he gets space. If he’s on the ice. They need to replace Kuzy-Poo in the import draft, hit on their ‘07 picks and see their ‘06’s make significant strides though or it’s all a bit pointless.

Reactions: dirty12

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
For the record, Flint was in on every key and valuable player this year up to the trade deadline, and from what I heard, they offered better packages then what teams got, but because players or agents preferred other spots rather than Flint, they went elsewhere. So Flint did try to get top players.

If their goaltending was more consistent, which they were hoping Cranley and Day would improve down the stretch, and if they did get some of those top players, today Flint would be still playing.

Flint isnt as lucky at luring players and agents as Kitchener, London, Windsor, etc....

From what I hear about the owner, his main priority is to bring a competing team to Flint every year to appease the fans.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
From what I hear about the owner, his main priority is to bring a competing team to Flint every year to appease the fans.
Hope he opens the checkbook to get a GM in place. I don't think Dent is a bad coach, but I'd like more voices in the room when discussing trades.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Whew. I guess both those are closer than I thought now that I think about it. Hayes doesn’t drive play quite the way Voit and Robertson do and I’d prefer my elite forward be down the middle but Hayes could net 50+ next year which neither of those two were gonna do. You can do the OA math a few different ways. Cranley became a back-up, so that was a waste of an OA spot but I’m not a huge fan of Nolan Dann as an OA either. He was one of the better forwards in the playoffs on Lombardi’s line and had some killer plays. He really stepped up but he’s a bit of a perimeter player and without an elite C, I’m concerned he doesn’t become a ghost like he was during the regular season. I think Giroux has a big year though and I get what StingUpdates is saying about Guryev but I value him just a little higher. He doesn’t make a ton of mistakes, saves himself often when he does, can produce…some offense…and he gets space. If he’s on the ice. They need to replace Kuzy-Poo in the import draft, hit on their ‘07 picks and see their ‘06’s make significant strides though or it’s all a bit pointless.
I think Giroux has a big year too; hardest worker, great on-ice awareness, captain material. Dann Idk, he should at least accumulate points if playing with Giroux-Hayes carries over into next season. To his credit, he played harder in the final weeks and playoffs.
A new import, Slavicek, trade; some one will have to step up and be a top six LW. Every other position looks pretty solid to me.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Hope he opens the checkbook to get a GM in place. I don't think Dent is a bad coach, but I'd like more voices in the room when discussing trades.
A coach/GM definitely needs a good assistant GM.
Changing coaches and GMs every other year would appear to make it an unstable situation and scare off agents and prospects/parents.
In just two years with Dent the Firebirds appear to be developing an identity. I think you have to give him 4-5 yrs to see how it plays out.

Reactions: Toldyaso and MJ5

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
A coach/GM definitely needs a good assistant GM.
Changing coaches and GMs every other year would appear to make it an unstable situation and scare off agents and prospects/parents.
In just two years with Dent the Firebirds appear to be developing an identity. I think you have to give him 4-5 yrs to see how it plays out.
As a coach 100%, I don't disagree with you there at all. The only coaching decision I think I can really argue is sticking with Cranley for so long as the #1. Felt like that should have almost been a split a lot earlier until someone earned the job, but he got the boys dialed in late, led by Day and went on a solid run down the stretch.

I am not sold on the fact he's the right choice for GM. They need to hire a GM or a good assistant GM. The Dann trade, very questionable. Cranley trade very questionable. Luca for Smith makes sense on the physical side of the game, but D'Amato was very responsible on the defensive end, he was +21 for a struggling Flint team when he was traded, just not the biggest guy. Also a right handed shot, which Flint lacked on the blue line.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
As a coach 100%, I don't disagree with you there at all. The only coaching decision I think I can really argue is sticking with Cranley for so long as the #1. Felt like that should have almost been a split a lot earlier until someone earned the job, but he got the boys dialed in late, led by Day and went on a solid run down the stretch.

I am not sold on the fact he's the right choice for GM. They need to hire a GM or a good assistant GM. The Dann trade, very questionable. Cranley trade very questionable. Luca for Smith makes sense on the physical side of the game, but D'Amato was very responsible on the defensive end, he was +21 for a struggling Flint team when he was traded, just not the biggest guy. Also a right handed shot, which Flint lacked on the blue line.
I agree that the Firebirds lack a right shot D, but there are two sides in trades. The rebuilding Gens were not giving up the mean spirited 3-yr D that would limit the amount of times Guryev would feel the need to Arber Xhekaj opponents for Deline or just 4th & 5th picks; and Harrison supposedly used his NTC to block a trade to Flint, so Petrovsky would be removed from that equation.
Given the Firebirds’ roster, I would make that trade 10/10 times. Guryev and Smith next season vs the kids of re-tooling Sarnia, SSM, and Windsor; OMG!

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
For the record, Flint was in on every key and valuable player this year up to the trade deadline, and from what I heard, they offered better packages then what teams got, but because players or agents preferred other spots rather than Flint, they went elsewhere. So Flint did try to get top players.

If their goaltending was more consistent, which they were hoping Cranley and Day would improve down the stretch, and if they did get some of those top players, today Flint would be still playing.

Flint isnt as lucky at luring players and agents as Kitchener, London, Windsor, etc....

So, I know some kids invoked NTC’s and there were other more preferred destinations but I just listed 25 high end kids that moved at the deadline. 25!!! Branch, Burnett, Wellwood, Christensen all got kids to come here. If they can’t recruit and convince better than 0-25, just pack up the franchise. Sell it and move it because they will NEVER win anything. The fact that they failed that bad to convince players and agents and then still doubled down to spend 6 picks on Dann blows my mind.

I agree that the Firebirds lack a right shot D, but there are two sides in trades. The rebuilding Gens were not giving up the mean spirited 3-yr D that would limit the amount of times Guryev would feel the need to Arber Xhekaj opponents for Deline or just 4th & 5th picks; and Harrison supposedly used his NTC to block a trade to Flint, so Petrovsky would be removed from that equation.
Given the Firebirds’ roster, I would make that trade 10/10 times. Guryev and Smith next season vs the kids of re-tooling Sarnia, SSM, and Windsor; OMG!
How about just Smith though because it just got MUCH less likely Artem returns next year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
So, I know some kids invoked NTC’s and there were other more preferred destinations but I just listed 25 high end kids that moved at the deadline. 25!!! Branch, Burnett, Wellwood, Christensen all got kids to come here. If they can’t recruit and convince better than 0-25, just pack up the franchise. Sell it and move it because they will NEVER win anything. The fact that they failed that bad to convince players and agents and then still doubled down to spend 6 picks on Dann blows my mind.

How about just Smith though because it just got MUCH less likely Artem returns next year.
I’m not sure what you want me to respond to. Not having Guryev for OA season would be a bummer? Smith is now a bigger part than than I thought?

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
It took Saginaw, many many years and many many coaches and GM's to be able to successfully recruit/trade free agents and it's still not nearly as desirable as many of the other locations in the league. Be patient...you've had good on-ice success recently and that will go a long way towards getting them in the future.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I’m not sure what you want me to respond to. Not having Guryev for OA season would be a bummer? Smith is now a bigger part than than I thought?
Just noting that it’s now a lot less likely Guryev returns and only having Smith will be significantly less imposing to those young rosters.

It took Saginaw, many many years and many many coaches and GM's to be able to successfully recruit/trade free agents and it's still not nearly as desirable as many of the other locations in the league. Be patient...you've had good on-ice success recently and that will go a long way towards getting them in the future.
The thing that bothers me and I find concerning is that every other coach/GM had better success at convincing players to come play in Flint. They’re going backwards in that department and are trending downward in the on-ice results department since Dent took over GM responsibilities.

Reactions: dirty12

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Just noting that it’s now a lot less likely Guryev returns and only having Smith will be significantly less imposing to those young rosters.

The thing that bothers me and I find concerning is that every other coach/GM had better success at convincing players to come play in Flint. They’re going backwards in that department and are trending downward in the on-ice results department since Dent took over GM responsibilities.
Ya, it didn't go well for the Spirit when we had a combined Coach/GM. I think we had Bob Mancini doing both and then Todd Watson. What you guys are going through sounds a lot like the Todd Watson years...had some results but just couldn't get over the top. Since then (2011) we've only had 2 GM's which has provided a lot of stability...Jim Paliafito did well and then moved up to the Maple Leafs orginization and then we've had Drinkell since 2015 and he's done a great job. Sounds like Dent is not the right man for the job and it will be interesting to see how long a leash Rolf has with him.

Also, I've watched a lot of firebirds games on streaming and Rolf's company commercial is using adobe stock images with a watermark...I laugh every time I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad