Flint Firebirds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

intoxiKate

Aug 22, 2022
So what are everyone’s expectations for this season? Are we contenders, or should we expect to drop a bit this season?

It seems like a lot of it will be up to how well this new goalie plays. His numbers don’t look too great, but St Louis believes in him which gives me hope that’ll it’ll be another good season in net for Flint.

Just looking forward to a quiet normal season where nothing crazy happens (I hope) lol 🙏

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
As you noted, all depends on the G position. If they can have solid goaltending from Cranley and Day, then they should be a top 3 Western Conference team.

Their forwards and dmen are mostly returning and should be as capable as last year.

intoxiKate

Aug 22, 2022

Looks like Lombardi will be participating in the Red Wings prospect tournament from Sept. 15th through Sept. 19th. Maybe some preseason time missed but it seems like he’ll be the better for it going up against the NHL’s top prospects.

Edit: Riley Piercey too. I missed that originally.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Been kinda busy to go watch or even post. Anybody get a chance to see any of camp? I just didn’t have the time but there were definitely some interesting participants and situations that could develop with the roster. Curious on people’s thoughts.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
I did attend the Blue White game on Thursday morning. Honest opinions....Goalies Day and Michelone both looked over matched in their one period of work each. Day let in 4 - Michelone let in 5. Piercy I believe solidified his OA spot with a first period hat trick. Cranley is going the main goalie. I don't think we are going to have issues scoring. Everyone looked fast. Concerns - Goalie can Cranely be the man. Solid backup??? Defensive- Solid around, Bertucci looked much improved from last year. Gee - Seemed overwhelmed first two periods but found his feet in the third.
Third OA - Panwar, Deline, Terry. I think Deline has the edge. But all three didn't hurt their chances.

With NHL camps coming up, we are going to be short players - Hayes, Lombardi, Piercey, Othmann, Cranley, Kuzmin will all be away for some time in September.

New import - looked good as well. Didn't see Simon at all.

Reactions: MJ5

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I did attend the Blue White game on Thursday morning. Honest opinions....Goalies Day and Michelone both looked over matched in their one period of work each. Day let in 4 - Michelone let in 5. Piercy I believe solidified his OA spot with a first period hat trick. Cranley is going the main goalie. I don't think we are going to have issues scoring. Everyone looked fast. Concerns - Goalie can Cranely be the man. Solid backup??? Defensive- Solid around, Bertucci looked much improved from last year. Gee - Seemed overwhelmed first two periods but found his feet in the third.
Third OA - Panwar, Deline, Terry. I think Deline has the edge. But all three didn't hurt their chances.

With NHL camps coming up, we are going to be short players - Hayes, Lombardi, Piercey, Othmann, Cranley, Kuzmin will all be away for some time in September.

New import - looked good as well. Didn't see Simon at all.
Cool, thanks. Mostly good news I guess. A bit disappointing to hear that about Day but I thought he looked good in actual game action last year. I mean, I thought he looked as good as Keyser and Cavallin did at 16 so let’s hope. I liked Slavicek a lot last year. He was adjusting but you could see the potential. I was wondering if he’d be returning with Zozulia at camp and him missing. I’d prefer an 18yo with half a year’s expierience in the OHL already but if he’s not coming back or Zozulia can outperform him.....

Reactions: MJ5

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Well I don't usually read to much into goalie performance in these blue and white games. They are always high scoring affairs with very little in the way of defense being played. Goalies usually get hung out to dry so....

Reactions: Savard18 and MJ5

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Well I don't usually read to much into goalie performance in these blue and white games. They are always high scoring affairs with very little in the way of defense being played. Goalies usually get hung out to dry so....
Must not be thrilled with the goalies.

Reactions: Toldyaso

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Jenken has Slavicek’s number
Yeah, Slavicek's number change is new recently as well. So I wonder if Jenken is just a body for the pres-season at the moment.

Interesting.

They have 16 fwds signed and 9 dmen signed
Right now it's 16 & 8. Extra OA at both Fwd and D, so 15 & 7 if you subtract the bodies that will need to get moved.

Klinkhammer and Jenken haven't been announced as signed yet.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Probably because 1 OA D is going and 1 OA FD/G is going

Thinking it's Terry/Cranley or panwar
Terry & Panwar are most likely.

Unless Cranley is horrible this pre-season, I can't see them moving off of him. The goalie they traded for today, hasn't played a game in the OHL, so its not like they picked up someone proven. If I had to guess, this means they might move on from Michelone.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Sorry its 17 fwds and 9 dmen if you include Klinkhammer and Jenken.

I believe they need to get down to 14 and 8 by Opening night Reg Season. If they trade Terry, then they are good at 8 dmen. I am sure they will get rid of Panwar, and thus they will have to get rid of 2-3 other fwds.

Who will those 2-3 fwds be?

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
If they get ride of assinwwai and Panwar should be fine most teams are carrying extra know days due to covid

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
LWCRWLDRDG
OthmannKresslerPierceyKuzminDelineCranley
GirouxLombardiHayesPetrovskiD'AmatoDay
SlavicekHayC.PitreBertucciJenkenMichelone
BradshawKpitrePetrouGee Piroski
KlinkhammerPittersMaclean
Aspinall

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Skavicek still liisted on supposed updated pre-season roster. Even though his number has been given away seems odd. Zozulia could nake the team if Slavicek isnt coming back. Know nothing of the new goalie. That situation loofs pretty fluid. There eill probably be 1 if not 2 trades coming

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
LWCRWLDRDG
OthmannKresslerPierceyKuzminDelineCranley
GirouxLombardiHayesPetrovskiD'AmatoDay
SlavicekHayC.PitreBertucciJenkenMichelone
BradshawKpitrePetrouGeePiroski
KlinkhammerPittersMaclean
Aspinall
I didn’t watch any camp and don’t know what Dent is looking for but until I see otherwise I wouldn’t have Bradshaw or Klinkhammer ahead of Assinewai. He’s smart. Decent vision, speed and wasn’t afraid of a little traffic. MacLean spent most of his time last year as a forward but was drafted as a D and played there a little bit too last year. I might have him ahead of Jenken too but no idea where he played in camp or how well. I think your lineup is somewhere between close and dead-on though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad