Flint Firebirds 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Rolf sure was in a tremendous hurry to hire Terry Christenson and chase Barclay Branch and Eric Wellwood away. However, with the draft in less than a week, is in absolutely no hurry to hire a GM (if he even does), or a head coach. Yes I know scouts help determine the picks, however it is a very bad look drafting with no GM or Head Cosch, particularly with this franchise and many doubters.

I am sure Flint has things in control. Remember no kids have played any competitive hockey since Bantam, except for US kids. I am sure that Flint understands what their needs are moving forward, and they know who is coming back and will be fine with first few picks. This year's draft will be based on limited game/scrimmage viewings and more on persuasion and popular names.

In respect to hiring new coach and GM, would you prefer that they do it in haste rather than do their diligence? We slam Rolf for hiring TC quick, but its ok to hire new coach and GM in same hurray??

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
In respect to hiring new coach and GM, would you prefer that they do it in haste rather than do their diligence? We slam Rolf for hiring TC quick, but its ok to hire new coach and GM in same hurray??

I'm pretty sure the point is you shouldn't have to be hiring a new coach and GM in the first place if Rolf wasnt allowed to hire his crony again and set the team back another 5 years.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Nothing to do but wait and see what happens. None of us know anything for sure. Speculating is just howling at the moon right now.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Word is that we are getting vouchers for unused season tickets from two years ago. The last two games along with any playoff tickets are going to be in voucher form for the upcoming season - provided there is one.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Word is that we are getting vouchers for unused season tickets from two years ago. The last two games along with any playoff tickets are going to be in voucher form for the upcoming season - provided there is one.
That's confirmed. I had a call from the ticket office the other about my season tickets this year and they told me about that during the conversation.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
According to Brock Otten’s OHL Prospects and Rick Dhaliwal, the Canucks will not sign Ethan Keppen. Does he sign with an ECHL team or OHL Flint?

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Rosters are posted for the Erie Junior Showcase.
Panwar, Grainer, Gretz, and Hayes are notable Firebirds who are participating. Also, Grand Blanc native Dalton Duhart is on the list of players.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Pierce was probably OA odd man out anyways. That leaves OA spots for G Cavallin.....F Morgan.....D Gretz.....and perhaps F Keppen.
I don’t think there’s any “probably” about it...if those other four guys have told the Firebirds they’d return as OAs, then Pierce has no spot on the roster.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Yup Looks like he's stuck his foot in it a few times. I'm not sure how TC thinks this will put parents at ease and make them confident in sending their kids here to play. Looks like he has some anger management issues when you add the circumstances of his firing from the Rockford Ice Hogs. Professionally he has a pretty extensive resume. Some good stretches and some not so good. Kind of looks like a warm body grab where got lucky and found one with a pretty extensive resume. Hopefully he's past his anger issues and is ready to turn a new page with a new start. Gonna have to be a charmer and ready to come clean when asked about that stuff. Best way to get past it is to face up to it and not try and hide from it. For the record I believe everyone makes mistakes and deserves a chance to redeem themselves. Will watch with great interest.

Reactions: MJ5

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Hopefully it was a minor issue and not as bad as it looks. I am sure the credentials behind the bench are good.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I too believe in second chances. I have benifited from second chances, as most of us have. Although I have serious concerns about assault and battery, I also have concerns with him having very limited OHL experience. Working with 15, 16, and 17 year olds in high school, their families, and billets is vastly different than working with early 20’s aged pros. Branch and Wellwood were well versed in OHL culture.

Last edited:

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I too believe in second chances. I have benifited from second chances, as most of us have. Although I have serious concerns about assault and battery, I also hav concetn
I've seen enough domestic assault events in my lifetime to know that assuming anything without knowing what led to the charge is a surefire way to end up eating your own shoe. I wouldn't assume anything.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I've seen enough domestic assault events in my lifetime to know that assuming anything without knowing what led to the charge is a surefire way to end up eating your own shoe. I wouldn't assume anything.
You are correct Toldyaso. I do not know any details or assume, but do know they are serious charges. Hopefully, he can quickly learn the OHL and become a very good OHL Coach.

Last edited:

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
You are correct Toldyaso. I do not know any details or assume, but do know they are serious charges. Hopefully, he can quickly learn the OHL and become a very good OHL Coach.
Well he was an associate coach for a few years in Niagara and head coach for the icehogs in the ahl coaching Blackhawks prospects. He has a decent coaching resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad