Flint Firebirds 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Piercy was born ‘02.
I can see the firebirds can start the season with four OAs; Morgan, Pierce, Gretz, & Cavillon.

Love to see Keppen back but doubt it.
So I believe Morgan, Gretz and Cavallin will be OAs.

Alot of Overagers in Leauge that will have to be moved, and if Gretz can't make the grade, they should be able to get another 01 . Import will be a 02 or 03 fwd, hoping Kuzmin comes.

Reactions: TcNorth

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Why do I have a feeling it’s going to be 2015 all over again?

Unfortunately that’s what it looks like. He’s already brought back Terry Christensen. Someone needs to step in before this gets out of hand, can’t imagine anyone wanting their kid to be apart of this. Flint has come such a long way since 2016 and have become a very fun team to watch, would hate to see all that progress burnt to the ground again by Rolf Nielsen

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Absolutely horrible news for this franchise!
Couldn’t be worse timing either. 2 weeks before the draft, import draft coming up soon after. Some big shoes to fill in the coming years with Dellandrea, Tucker, Oksentyuk, etc. all out now. Going to be hard to get those names of the future with Rolf Nielsen’s name back in the mix.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Love to see Keppen back but doubt it.
So I believe Morgan, Gretz and Cavallin will be OAs.

Alot of Overagers in Leauge that will have to be moved, and if Gretz can't make the grade, they should be able to get another 01 . Import will be a 02 or 03 fwd, hoping Kuzmin comes.

Think he’ll be back

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort
Unfortunately that’s what it looks like. He’s already brought back Terry Christensen. Someone needs to step in before this gets out of hand, can’t imagine anyone wanting their kid to be apart of this. Flint has come such a long way since 2016 and have become a very fun team to watch, would hate to see all that progress burnt to the ground again by Rolf Nielsen
Terry will 100% ruin this team and the positive environment Branch built. He’s a toxic person that owes too many debts to people. This will not end well. Never does with him. Ask yourself a question, would you send your son to Flint with the Rolf Band back together? No, no you wouldn’t.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

Think he’ll be back

Normally the Canucks would have until June 1st to sign him. I don't know if COVID has pushed that date back this year, but if not we will have a good idea within the next 10 days on if he would be playing an OA year in Flint.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Terry will 100% ruin this team and the positive environment Branch built. He’s a toxic person that owes too many debts to people. This will not end well. Never does with him. Ask yourself a question, would you send your son to Flint with the Rolf Band back together? No, no you wouldn’t.

The League (OHL) needs to step in immediately and revoke the hiring of Christiansen if it wants to have any credibility with the Flint hockey market. Didn't Rolf learn from his five year suspension? Of all the mockery, Nilsen goes ahead and re-hires a man who was at the center of the chaos in 2015. The man (Christiansen) has been out of hockey since he got canned in 2015. He has nothing to offer to the Firebirds franchise except a TOXIC atmosphere. And Rolf hires him as President of Hockey Operations??????

It didn't take long for Barclay Branch to realize what was going on which resulted in his QUICK resignation. Two weeks before probably the most crucial time for a junior hockey franchise (the draft). Talk to Barclay and see what he has to say about what's happening in Flint. Give credit to Barclay, fore he brought respectability to the franchise and it showed up with the on ice product during his tenure. Branch wanted nothing to do with Rolf back at the helm of the hockey club even with still a year left on his contract. That should tell you all about the situation going on in Flint with Nilson back in control.

David Branch and the OHL needs to stop the shenanigans with Nilsen once and for all, before it once again becomes the laughing stock of all of hockey.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Rolf Nilsen was fined $250K and suspended from hockey operations involvement for 5 years.

That’s one helluva stiff punishment in an amateur hockey league. Unprecedented.

I’m not aware of any legitimate rumblings over the last 5 years about the team or the rink being for sale. Rather, the suspended owner just paid the bills and largely kept his mouth shut. Credit where credit is due — Nilsen didn’t cause problems and the franchise didn’t run on a shoestring budget.

Now, Barclay Branch’s departure was inevitable once the owner’s suspension ended. No owner of a sports team wants his top executive to be someone appointed by the league, let alone the league commissioner’s son. The optics scream, “you need a babysitter because you can’t be trusted.” Why would any sports team owner retain a guy who symbolizes the owner’s previous mistakes? Would you?

Owners always want their own people in charge. It might not be fair, but it happens all the time. Ownership has its privileges. Nilsen brought back Terry Christensen and Branch resigned less than one week later. I’d expect most of Branch’s staff to be gone at some point and for the owner to install his own people. That’s how the hockey business works.

It’s worth remembering that Christensen was not trusted by the players back in 2015-16 because they believed he wanted John Gruden’s head coaching job and undercut him when he could. Maybe Christensen becomes the head coach, too, or perhaps he pushes for his son, Kyle, to join the staff. Regardless, these decisions are the owner’s to make.

Now, don’t get the wrong idea here — I truly wish Rolf Nilsen would just go away from the junior hockey world forever. He makes lousy junior hockey decisions at the best of times. But the franchise is his toy, and provided he doesn’t violate league rules, he can play with it as he wishes.

Infuriating? Yes. But until the league has a legitimate reason to revoke his ownership or force a sale, you’re stuck with him.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I’ll just wait and see what happens...speculation at this point in time is pointless
I think for now this is the best approach. His son is no longer in the picture and like any other business he has, he will want success and profit from it. Branch was basically appointed by the league, the writing was on the wall for that move.
Wellwood is the one to watch. He has shown success so far so he should be left in his position. If he suddenly decides to move on then there is cause for concern. If he is let go by Christensen in the next few months then again that would be concerning. Now if he shows no success over this year and they let him go well into the hockey season then that would just be a "hockey" move.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Well that didn't take long.

Amazing how 1 guy can destroy something in less then 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: HealthyScratch1

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I think for now this is the best approach. His son is no longer in the picture and like any other business he has, he will want success and profit from it. Branch was basically appointed by the league, the writing was on the wall for that move.
Wellwood is the one to watch. He has shown success so far so he should be left in his position. If he suddenly decides to move on then there is cause for concern. If he is let go by Christensen in the next few months then again that would be concerning. Now if he shows no success over this year and they let him go well into the hockey season then that would just be a "hockey" move.
Well this post did not age well! It now looks like things are very shaky in Flint. Have to feel for fans that support the Firebirds. Sure hope it turns out better than the last time.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So curious who will be making the picks for the upcoming draft with no GM or head coach on board? Will Christensen make those picks or have enough scouting skills to do that or will he defer to someone else in the organization?

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
So curious who will be making the picks for the upcoming draft with no GM or head coach on board? Will Christensen make those picks or have enough scouting skills to do that or will he defer to someone else in the organization?
Don't think it's going to matter.

I'm guessing whoever they take (if it isn't an obvious reach) probably won't end up reporting under this clown show.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Even as a fan of another team this is horrible to see. As mentioned above I don't see how you could get an actual 1st round talent to report to this. The coach and GM who built back the reputation of the Firebirds from the ashes that Rolf Nilsen left them in 5 years ago are both out the door and I don't see any reputable coach wanting to come in to this.

Here's to hoping that since his son is no longer involved (at least not yet) that Nilsen will have better intent and will allow his staff to run the team as they please.

letsgofirebirds1

Mar 15, 2016
Even as a fan of another team this is horrible to see. As mentioned above I don't see how you could get an actual 1st round talent to report to this. The coach and GM who built back the reputation of the Firebirds from the ashes that Rolf Nilsen left them in 5 years ago are both out the door and I don't see any reputable coach wanting to come in to this.

Here's to hoping that since his son is no longer involved (at least not yet) that Nilsen will have better intent and will allow his staff to run the team as they please.
I’d bet good money that when they show the picture of the draft day “war room” that Hakon will be there and he’ll be somewhere in the front office end of things before the end of summer.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I’d bet good money that when they show the picture of the draft day “war room” that Hakon will be there and he’ll be somewhere in the front office end of things before the end of summer.

As would I. We've clearly seen that the purchase of this team was clearly to create opportunities and pave a way for him and his family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad