Flint Firebirds 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smu fan

Jan 4, 2020
Someone please explain to me how this entire team has come unraveled in a month. Ever since the hiring of TC.

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort
Someone please explain to me how this entire team has come unraveled in a month. Ever since the hiring of TC.
TC has years under his belt. He has a pattern of this behavior that’s long and established. If you’re a believer in his abilities, then I hope you’re correct but let me tell you, history is not on your side.

Reactions: MJ5

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
No players have indicated they want out. Keppen confirmed that he only wants to return to Flint.
They had a good draft and identified need for Dmen and size.
They were able to hire 3 coaches with Hockey credentials, and were able to take one away from a good situation in Saginaw.
Most if not all the scouting staff is still there.
Barclay was very good but there for a reason, and Wellwood part of the same.

So where is it that this entire team has come unraveled in a month? Maybe I am missing something?

Reactions: Toldyaso

Smu fan

Jan 4, 2020
No players have indicated they want out. Keppen confirmed that he only wants to return to Flint.
They had a good draft and identified need for Dmen and size.
They were able to hire 3 coaches with Hockey credentials, and were able to take one away from a good situation in Saginaw.
Most if not all the scouting staff is still there.
Barclay was very good but there for a reason, and Wellwood part of the same.

So where is it that this entire team has come unraveled in a month? Maybe I am missing something?
The team is coming off it’s best season since being in Flint and not one day to day hockey ops person is returning. Is that not a red flag to you. If it’s not it should be.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
The team is coming off it’s best season since being in Flint and not one day to day hockey ops person is returning. Is that not a red flag to you. If it’s not it should be.

Not quite sure about your argument here. Barclay was only there for the suspension. Under OHL orders. Once the suspension was lifted he knew his time was up and he was going to be let go or his role greatly reduced. As for the coaching staff, COVID could have played a major role. Not sure why Wellwood wasn't up for it. But a year away without coaching could have played a role.

Not sure that these signs all play to tune of bad things afoot. Until the season gets underway, players report, we don't know exactly how each team is going to respond.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Yes, and the core players were 2000s which were before Barclay and scouted by the same staff there now. Yes Barclay was able to bring in some 2000s to help the core, but we cant say that the last year which was a great one was all due to Barclay and Wellwood. Barclay made some good deals and some questionnable deals but was a good representative of the club.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Although, still not a huge fan of TC running the Firebirds, the coaching hires appear to be good. All with various degrees of either OHL, AHL, ECHL or International experience. We will have to wait and see who will sign, who will come back, and how the season starts, to really judge what we have going. I still hope we hire a experienced General Manager, but doubt we will.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Some teams on this Board complain that their Mgmt doesnt do anything or delays everything. Here it seems TC is very active and makes quick decisions.

Time will tell if TC has taken the better approach.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I don’t think ECHL credentials carry more paper cred than real cred. Very few coaches grind it out thru ECHL on up. One success story to that is Lalonde who is the Assistant coach on Tampa and worked his way up thru ECHL with the Toledo Walleye. Great coach, but usually never see any great ECHL coaches stay around. ECHL is like a step above OHL. And I grew up watching ECHL before I realized OHL was around.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Rick Dudley was another great coach who excelled at that level of hockey and advanced. Other great ECHL coaches who had good cred were John Marks, Steve Martinson, and John Brophy. We shall see how our new coaches do, although success at a higher league doesn’t necessarily equate to success at a different or junior level or AHL success at a higher level.

Last edited:

Smu fan

Jan 4, 2020
For me right now to many red flags. Time will tell I guess. I hope the returning players and potential prospects don’t feel the same way I do.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
For me right now to many red flags. Time will tell I guess. I hope the returning players and potential prospects don’t feel the same way I do.

No doubt there are tons of red flags because of our previous dealings with TC.

But 1 big piece isn't on this roster anymore. Hakon. Maybe, just maybe it will be different without him on the roster.

I'm hoping for the best, but definitely expecting the worse.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
No doubt there are tons of red flags because of our previous dealings with TC.

But 1 big piece isn't on this roster anymore. Hakon. Maybe, just maybe it will be different without him on the roster.

I'm hoping for the best, but definitely expecting the worse.

I'm with you and taking a wait and see right now. I agree no Hakon so no motivation to interfere with the coaches. 5 years of watching a winning team built and being successful when the GM and head coach are allowed to do their jobs should also have taught everyone something as well. I'm not ready to join the Chicken Little crowd just yet.

Reactions: Smu fan

letsgofirebirds1

Mar 15, 2016
Now that we’re through all that…

Is anyone at all concerned that there have been no signing announcements for the prospects that we drafted a couple weeks back?

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Ok just for the record I didn't flame or troll anyone. Quite the opposite. I don't care what the mods say.

Smu fan

Jan 4, 2020
Now that we’re through all that…

Is anyone at all concerned that there have been no signing announcements for the prospects that we drafted a couple weeks back?
Extremely concerned. I hope the veterans are on side with the coaching changes. You know for fact the new prospects/agents are reaching out to them. Getting feedback about Flint and vibe around the changes.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Did anyone stay on top the PBBH tournament in Erie? Both Gavin Hayes and Panwar had decent showings. Hayes over a point per game and Panwar just under. Gretz and Pierce were there as well. 4 assists for Pierce and I believe only a single assist for Gretz. Grainer only played in 1 game in goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad