Flint Firebirds 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Seems like a good draft yesterday. Should be interesting as Wellwood will probably have to make room for some. Will be interesting to see how many they drafted actually report. Would be interesting to know what they promised Otthman. Hope for his sake whatever it was they come good for it. We all know Branch.
Did anyone else notice the post where Equipment Manager Mike Hildebrand was not putting the names on the jerseys.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Seems like a good draft yesterday. Should be interesting as Wellwood will probably have to make room for some. Will be interesting to see how many they drafted actually report. Would be interesting to know what they promised Otthman. Hope for his sake whatever it was they come good for it. We all know Branch.
Did anyone else notice the post where Equipment Manager Mike Hildebrand was not putting the names on the jerseys.
I don't think reporting is going to be a problem. However, not a lot of open spots going into next year. He will have a couple really hard decisions to make particularly if one of the U.S. kids makes the team.

Reactions: Hockey61fan

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
I don't think reporting is going to be a problem. However, not a lot of open spots going into next year. He will have a couple really hard decisions to make particularly if one of the U.S. kids makes the team.
Reporting to Flint has always been an issue since the league took over the team. What makes next year any different?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Reporting to Flint has always been an issue since the league took over the team. What makes next year any different?

The removal of Nilsson is reason any of the prospects reported. If you want, give credit to Dellandrea & Busby for deporting; and, Roberts for accepting a trade to Flint.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Simply not true the past couple of years. Your information is old. Last year and this year we simply didn’t have many spots. Also, Owen Power from last year was committed to The University of Michigan before we drafted him. dirty12, you can add Keppen and Vierling to your list. Except for our first year when Ryan McLeod wanted to play with his brother in Mississauga, the last four #1 picks have reported with no problems and will be huge parts of Flint’s improved 2019-20 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
There's a little of both. TC is right and Hockey61fan is right and as usual, I agree with dirty12 too. I think recruiting issues will be changing with Hakon moving on and Wellwood behind the bench. Possibly with Rolf regaining control. For the most part Flint has gotten their top picks to report and I don't think any of the guys dirty or TC listed were reaches. The Owen Power story isn't over yet, but we will have a good idea in 4-5 months whether or not it is. Where hockey61fan is right is where they've struggled in recruiting those higher end US kids outside of Gretz. No Jordan Greenway. No J.D. Greenway. No Jack Roslovic. No Joel Farabee. No Evan Barrett. No Vasili Kolias or Josh Rettinger, a few more I think. Not even London hits on all of theirs but Flint has to hit on those once in awhile...and yes, right now you can count Power and Jan Jenik as part of that group. Maybe all their Import picks they've drafted outside of Saarijarvi were reaches. Speaking of reporting, has anybody seen ANYthing on Kressler yet?

Reactions: TcNorth and dirty12

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

Any guesses to how long this league lasts?? I give it 2 seasons max

Well, there's enough high end talent coming out of the State right now to fill roster spots but yeah, 2years sounds about right. Seems like something Terry Christensen would have his hands all over too.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
There's a little of both. TC is right and Hockey61fan is right and as usual, I agree with dirty12 too. I think recruiting issues will be changing with Hakon moving on and Wellwood behind the bench. Possibly with Rolf regaining control. For the most part Flint has gotten their top picks to report and I don't think any of the guys dirty or TC listed were reaches. The Owen Power story isn't over yet, but we will have a good idea in 4-5 months whether or not it is. Where hockey61fan is right is where they've struggled in recruiting those higher end US kids outside of Gretz. No Jordan Greenway. No J.D. Greenway. No Jack Roslovic. No Joel Farabee. No Evan Barrett. No Vasili Kolias or Josh Rettinger, a few more I think. Not even London hits on all of theirs but Flint has to hit on those once in awhile...and yes, right now you can count Power and Jan Jenik as part of that group. Maybe all their Import picks they've drafted outside of Saarijarvi were reaches. Speaking of reporting, has anybody seen ANYthing on Kressler yet?
Guess we’ll see next month

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

I wish these guys would come check everything out here before they make a decision...if you come and still don’t want to play here then fine. Seems everyone who comes to check out the team...arena and the area they decide to play here.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I wish these guys would come check everything out here before they make a decision...if you come and still don’t want to play here then fine. Seems everyone who comes to check out the team...arena and the area they decide to play here.
Yup.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Simply not true the past couple of years. Your information is old. Last year and this year we simply didn’t have many spots. Also, Owen Power from last year was committed to The University of Michigan before we drafted him. dirty12, you can add Keppen and Vierling to your list. Except for our first year when Ryan McLeod wanted to play with his brother in Mississauga, the last four #1 picks have reported with no problems and will be huge parts of Flint’s improved 2019-20 season.

Yeah, add Keppen and Vierling to that list; and, add Gordeev, Bangs, Koly, Rowe, Morgan, Pierce for accepting trades to Flint too.
Point was things have been rough but stable since the OHL stepped in. First thing Birch said was they would build a team the ‘right way’ through the draft - their opinion. No doubt Erie, Soo, Sudbury, ... have proved missing the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons is an effective way to rebuild. But FWIW, I feel it was less than ideal for the development of a lot of the ‘98s & ‘99s that played hard for Flint and that they will never really feel part of the inevitable success the firebirds will have.

Reactions: TcNorth

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015

Any guesses to how long this league lasts?? I give it 2 seasons max

Looks like this is the "Interstate Hockey League". I think they had planned to have a team in Livonia called the Wolfpack. They must be moving into Iceland. From the looks of their map, they should be called the "INTRAstate Hockey League", as all the teams are within Michigan. The league was actually running ads on Facebook for team GMs...so get your resumes up to date!!!

upload_2019-4-8_8-30-42.png

Last edited:

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
"In Game Theatrics" translation = Fisticuffs. Old Time Hockey and Gordie salutes. ;) I approve.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Well, there's enough high end talent coming out of the State right now to fill roster spots but yeah, 2years sounds about right. Seems like something Terry Christensen would have his hands all over too.
It does. I would say old Tlint Generals like Jimmy Duhart or Loren Knauft too, but perhaps not, with teams being centrally owned.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Has anybody heard if Othmann signed while he was in Flint over the weekend? Would be nice to know that is out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad