Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Anybody know if there will be cuts made before the Blue vs White game tonight? I think I remember a rule that puts NCAA eligibility in jeopardy if a player is in camp for more than 48 hours, so anyone concerned about this may need to bow out after 2:00 this afternoon??? Maybe it's 72 hours???

Little strange Linton isn't playing. Could be the rule you mentioned above?

Anyone with thoughts on Linton's performance at the camp?

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Unless they trade for someone I’m thinking Cav and Gray in net...plus I’m interested to see who is left to take on the road

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The goalie situation has me even more concerned after the 9-8 score tonight. Morgan and Keppen are beasts.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
The goalie situation has me even more concerned after the 9-8 score tonight. Morgan and Keppen are beasts.

Wouldn't look that much into it yet, it was a scrimmage.

If it's like that this weekend ..... Then..... :scared::scared::scared::scared:

Reactions: TcNorth

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Dellandrea wasn't on the ice at all during training camp, and I don't believe that he was even present. Has anyone heard a reason for that? I'm guessing that he may be in Dallas, but that's just speculation.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Dellandrea wasn't on the ice at all during training camp, and I don't believe that he was even present. Has anyone heard a reason for that? I'm guessing that he may be in Dallas, but that's just speculation.

Could be, but Porco (drafted by Dallas) was playing in Saginaw's scrimmages this week. Maybe Dallas didn't want him risking injury before the TC prospects tourney that's coming up?

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
BLUE WHITE Game observations and other stuff

Harris, Pierce, Vierling and Dellandrea not on ice. Dellandrea in DC at a NHL event. Should be back in Flint today. Information from his teammates.
Bangs played the first period only.
3 - 15 minute periods with shootout at the end.
1st period
Gray in net for White, Morrison for Blue.
9 min in Blue Goal, Janda 1-0 Blue
9 min in White Goal Wismer 1-1
13 min in Blue Goal Holmes 2-1 Blue
14 min in White Goal Kressler 2-2

2nd Period
Gray in White, Grainer for Blue
Big save early for Grainer on Morgan
6 min in Blue Goal, Albers 3-2 Blue
7 min in White Goal, Wismer 3-3
7 min in Blue Goal, Roberts 4-3 Blue
9 min in White Goal, Morgan 4-4
(12 skaters on each side at this point for entire period)

3rd Period (shifted to a 4 on 4)
1 min in White Goal, Morgan 5-4 White
5 min in Blue Goal, Janda 5-5
5 min in Blue Goal Holmes 6-5 Blue
6 min in White Goal, Morgan 6-6 very nice tic tac toe passing
7 min in White Goal, Keppen 7-6 white
8 min in Blue Goal Lecot 7-7
10 min in Blue Goal Durham 8-7 Blue
12 min in White Goal Othmann 8-8
14 min in White Goal (game winner) Keppen 9-8 white
Blue pulled the goalie but couldn't score, A few good close saves by grainer

Shootout
Blue - All misses - Okenstyuk, Kolyachonok, Roberts
White - Misses - Othmann and Kressler Goal by Wismer

Observations: They definitely had some breakdowns more on 4 on 4 versus 5 on 5. There was more space and skill shown.
I don't think any of the returning players lost their spots or the signed rookies as well. The only spot that looked to be open was the back-up goalie spot which could go to either Gray or Grainer. Both out-played Morrison and looked much better throughout camp. With Grainer being a free agent, does this play any role, I don't know.

However with Dellandrea being gone for a period of time at the beginning of the season could they use another forward to sign that would seem reasonable. Also with Harris not being at camp as well, at least he wasn't present at any scrimmages, what is deal there?

With the first pre-season game on Saturday in Guelph we will have to see what the scenario is when the rosters are announced.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015

Harris, Pierce, Vierling and Dellandrea not on ice. Dellandrea in DC at a NHL event. Should be back in Flint today. Information from his teammates.
1st period

2nd Period

Shootout

Observations: They definitely had some breakdowns more on 4 on 4 versus 5 on 5. There was more space and skill shown.
I don't think any of the returning players lost their spots or the signed rookies as well. The only spot that looked to be open was the back-up goalie spot which could go to either Gray or Grainer. Both out-played Morrison and looked much better throughout camp. With Grainer being a free agent, does this play any role, I don't know.

However with Dellandrea being gone for a period of time at the beginning of the season could they use another forward to sign that would seem reasonable. Also with Harris not being at camp as well, at least he wasn't present at any scrimmages, what is deal there?

With the first pre-season game on Saturday in Guelph we will have to see what the scenario is when the rosters are announced.
For sure, the guys that you expected to look good, looked good...Keppen, Morgan, Durham, Koly. Oksentyuk continued to impress me. I could swear that the goal they announced for Lecot was actually scored by Holmes, but I could be wrong. That would have given him three goals on the night. Was kind of funny to hear the rink announcer call Pierce's name all night, when Pierce was standing on the glass in the corner and Roberts was the person actually wearing Blue #14.

Reactions: Toldyaso

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018

1st period

2nd Period

Shootout

Appreciated your reports and observations FirebirdsFan21.

Reactions: FirebirdsFan21

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Preseason roster updated on the site.

Only 1 unusual name. Evan Morrison is the 2nd goalie.

If that's the case they gotta make a move for a vet.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Update: Sooner or later we are going to need to keep one of these players from Little Caesars, Detroit Belle Tire, Detroit Honda, or the Oakland Grizzlies to start a pipeline to OHL Flint. This is not the year despite some good play from a couple of the free agents.

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Preseason roster updated on the site.

Only 1 unusual name. Evan Morrison is the 2nd goalie.

If that's the case they gotta make a move for a vet.
Here's a direct link...
Flint Firebirds – Official site of the Flint Firebirds

The Morrison thing says one thing to me...they weren't thrilled enough with anyone in camp to sign them and move forward with them. They're sticking with the guy who is already signed for now, and I would expect to see a move made for a vet, as MJ5 stated.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Looking over this roster...

12 of 24 players taken in the 1st or 2nd round.
11 of those are top 28 picks.
9 of those taken in the top 23 picks.
6 1st rounders, none taken later than 12th overall.
3 taken in the top 3 overall.

Plus, 2 high-quality Imports.

Reactions: Toldyaso and MJ5

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Word is that OA goaltender Luke Richardson is being waived by Kitchener. That’s a possible fit for Flint.

Reactions: TcNorth

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
A bit surprising that there are no surprises. It's the roster many of us have been predicting since early summer. Winterton traded, Uba traded and there's your line-up. It looks like the goalie situation didn't work out the way we had hoped but the offseason has so far went pretty much as expected.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Firebirds draft pick TAnner McEachern was at the Otters camp and CJ Clarke showed up to the Greyhounds as a potential OA.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
A bit surprising that there are no surprises. It's the roster many of us have been predicting since early summer. Winterton traded, Uba traded and there's your line-up. It looks like the goalie situation didn't work out the way we had hoped but the offseason has so far went pretty much as expected.
Agree 100%. I am also a bit apprehensive about the goalie situation. Cavallin needs to play better than he did last year. Mind you yes we were short handed for most of every game and you are only as good as what's in front of you.
I was thinking all summer that they might have replaced Phibbs but he is a team guy.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Agree 100%. I am also a bit apprehensive about the goalie situation. Cavallin needs to play better than he did last year. Mind you yes we were short handed for most of every game and you are only as good as what's in front of you.
I was thinking all summer that they might have replaced Phibbs but he is a team guy.
Phibbs is like the teams swiss army knife. Whatever the team needs he will pull the tool out of his box. It might not be the sharpest tool for the job but it is there when you need it.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I just think he needs to be more consistent. We've seen him play absolutely lights out for 20 minutes, for 40 minutes, and for 60 minutes but not 60 minutes night in and night out. I think some of that was being 17 years old. I think a lot of it was inconsistent play in front of him and some of it was rebuilding confidence in himself and the team in front of him after the start they had. I believe in him and think if he and the team come out of the gate strong, he could be one of, if not the best 18yo goalie in the league. That being said, I believe an inconsistent goalie is a bad goalie and I wouldn't put ALL my chips in on Luke this year but I'm sliding a pretty big pile to the center of the table.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Phibbs is like the teams swiss army knife. Whatever the team needs he will pull the tool out of his box. It might not be the sharpest tool for the job but it is there when you need it.
Well, let's hope there's no need to use him on D this year, even though he is competent there. He's competent in a lot of situations but hopefully as the season goes on, the production (and developmental curve) of youngsters like Kressler and Pierce outweigh his utility. I hate to say it because I'm a fan of his and you know our connection to him but still....he's an OA and those kids really need to be groomed to be the next generation.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Well, let's hope there's no need to use him on D this year, even though he is competent there. He's competent in a lot of situations but hopefully as the season goes on, the production (and developmental curve) of youngsters like Kressler and Pierce outweigh his utility. I hate to say it because I'm a fan of his and you know our connection to him but still....he's an OA and those kids really need to be groomed to be the next generation.
No argument from me on any of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad