Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Like the last training camp. I will be attendance at all four games currently during camp. I will get my report out upon my return.
I'm thinking I should at least be able to get to the Blue-White game. I think there are a couple kids who could step up and prove worthy of a roster spot. Even with Winterton and Uba gone and Power unfortunately still not reporting, there could still be a bit of a log jam for roster spots. I expect Dellandrea to get a good long look at Star's camp. Hopefully Vierling or Holmes can step up and fill that gap for a couple weeks.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

The O doesn't have many scary guys anymore but I don't think I'd wanna be a D playing against Ethan Keppen. Interesting Wellwood said "everybody has to earn a spot. You're either going to be 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line or IN AND OUT OF THE LINEUP." Kind of what many of us have alluded to looking at the potential roster. There's a lot of potential guys capable of rounding out those final spots on D and Forward. Even with Uba and Winterton gone. Say whatever you want. It wasn't the most pleasant or quickest way to go about and there were some big errors along the way that hurt and slowed things down but I will put $ down that Barclay Branch has built a team that has more success regular and post season this year than Burnett did. I bet he spends less draft capital to achieve that this year than GB too. I just hope he doesn't feel the need to do what GB did last year, having a really good team and then taking out a 2nd and 3rd mortgage to ensure they're the best on paper heading into the playoffs (It was a pretty special Storm group though). I think they can win this year and really go for it next year by making a couple/few smart purchases.

Reactions: Gensdef

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint’s Future Top Picks

2nd. Sault Ste. Marie
3rd. Flint
3rd. Guelph

2nd Flint
2nd Missisauga
3rd. Flint
3rd. Kitchner

2nd. Flint
3rd. Flint
3rd. Sudbury

2nd. Flint
2nd. Hamilton
3rd. Flint

2nd. Flint
2nd. Hamilton
2nd. Guelph
3rd. Flint

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
The O doesn't have many scary guys anymore but I don't think I'd wanna be a D playing against Ethan Keppen. Interesting Wellwood said "everybody has to earn a spot. You're either going to be 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line or IN AND OUT OF THE LINEUP." Kind of what many of us have alluded to looking at the potential roster. There's a lot of potential guys capable of rounding out those final spots on D and Forward. Even with Uba and Winterton gone. Say whatever you want. It wasn't the most pleasant or quickest way to go about and there were some big errors along the way that hurt and slowed things down but I will put $ down that Barclay Branch has built a team that has more success regular and post season this year than Burnett did. I bet he spends less draft capital to achieve that this year than GB too. I just hope he doesn't feel the need to do what GB did last year, having a really good team and then taking out a 2nd and 3rd mortgage to ensure they're the best on paper heading into the playoffs (It was a pretty special Storm group though). I think they can win this year and really go for it next year by making a couple/few smart purchases.

Makes me wonder what they’ll do with Dellandrea and possibly a couple others if they’re in the 7th-8th spot or outside the playoffs

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Makes me wonder what they’ll do with Dellandrea and possibly a couple others if they’re in the 7th-8th spot or outside the playoffs
I don't see any scenario where they're in 9th or 10th come the deadline but if 6th or higher (hell, let's say 5th even) isn't right there within reach after a weekend or two's worth of games...you absolutely trade him. Even Ty Dellandrea isn't likely to be the deciding factor in a 7 seed upsetting a 2 seed. You're going down as a 7 seed. You move him. For a 16yo first rounder, 4 second round picks and two 3rds. You move Busby for a 16yo first rounder and a couple picks. You move Jake Durham or a 19yo who's not staying as an OA next year. You're now loaded with 2001, 02 and 03 talent and have enough picks to outbid ANYbody for whoEVER you want. But I don't see that happening.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
1 game Blue vs Grey. No Dellandrea playing for Blue. 2 20 min periods with 3 man shoot out at the end.

Starting face-off was all Firebird players from last year. Very classy move in my opinion.

8 mins in Grey Goal - Cody Morgan
10 min in Grey Goal - Drake Albers
Clark - Blue Goalie went down, but stayed in the game. Didn't look good but after the trainer came out, he stayed in.
Penalty on Grey, gave penalty shot to Deline. He missed.
McCort went off favoring his shoulder close to the end of the period.
End of 1st half was 2-0 Grey.

2nd half
3 min in Blue Goal - Kolyachonok - nice individual effort on the goal.
6 min in Blue Goal - Owen Holmes
8 min in Blue Goal - Oksentuk - Import
13 min in Blue Goal - Tyler Dunbar
15 min in Grey Goal - Braeden Kressler
18 min in Grey Goal - Cody Morgan. Keppen went through the Defenseman to get the puck for the assist.
19 min in Grey Goal - McCort - finished off the back door play. Assist to Morgan on back door play.

Shoot out -
Grey all misses - Kressler, O'Donell, Lombardi
Blue Hernandez goal - slick move, Misses by Oksentyuk and Durham.

Very impressed by the players not at our training camp last year. Koly, Oksentyuk and Morgan all had very impressive showings. Other than Koly, not a single defenseman really stood out. There were some nice plays here and there but nothing mind-blowing. Goalies were average. Some nice saves overall. Couldn't say based on this showing if either one will be signed.

Chase Clark for Blue, Christian Linton for Grey. Will see the other ones in the second game that is played for each team.

Another report after tonight's game at 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: N Da No and TcNorth

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Saginaw fan here. Really happy to hear the positive reports out of your camp! Hockey is always better when the Flint-Saginaw rivalry is friendly and competitive!

Reactions: TcNorth

Skipper

Jun 2, 2019
McCort went off favoring his shoulder close to the end of the period.
I hope McCort is ok. I believe McCort was off at the end of the season last year because of his shoulder? Wondering if it's the same shoulder he was favoring. From what I heard he was supposed to have surgery over the summer.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
I hope McCort is ok. I believe McCort was off at the end of the season last year because of his shoulder? Wondering if it's the same shoulder he was favoring. From what I heard he was supposed to have surgery over the summer.

It was not a shoulder but concussion related proto-call at the end of last season. He was back on the ice in the second half. I will see if he is on the ice in the game tonight.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
So what's the word after scrimmage 2? Friend of mine who has championships as a player and as a coach and assesses talent a bit better than me called to say Oksentyuk was gonna be bad*** this year. Then he hung around for the first bit of the afternoon scrimmage and started texting me about Othmann. So between him and 828, I'm guessing those two are playing as advertised.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Sorry Im late with this.
Scrimmage 2 update.

Again 2 halfs. With 3 man shoot out afterwards. Morrison in goal for White, Gray for Grey. No Cavallin(White) or Pierce (Grey). Boucher from Blue in on Grey.
Grey starts off fast again
Grey Goal - 2 min in Keppen
1-0 Grey
Grey Goal - 3 min in O'donnel
2-0 Grey
Grey Goal - 9 min in Keppen
3-0 Grey.
White Goal - 14 min in Othmann. Very slick between the legs goal. Impressive, in close.
3-1 Grey.
White Goal - At buzzer. Maloney.
3-2 Grey.

2nd Half - Morrison out - Grainer (free agent) in.
White Goal - Wismer with assist to Othmann 4 min in
3-3
White Goal - 13 min in Moskowitz
4-3 White

Shootout-
White all misses - Mansfield, Othmann, Moskowitz
Grey - Misses Kressler, Keppen. Goal - Morgan

Overview - Grey again started fast but seemed to get tired. Othmann looked as advertised. Looked very good. However, it is only camp. Had a conversation about camp superstar Clarke. Especially from last year. Both Goalies looked good in the second half. There were some great saves by both. Morrison looked average in his 1 half. All returners had there moments as well. Pulled a nice play. Although I couldn't find Harris. Not sure I saw him the entire game. If I did his play didn't stand out. Also was impressed with Janda from White. Went toe to toe with Keppen a few times. Didn't really flinch. Gave out as much as he got physically.

Will have game 3 update much sooner.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Game 3 scrimmage
4 Goalies on rosters Only three on ice. No Linton.
Clark in for Blue. Grainer for White
8 min in Blue Goal. Oksentyuk. Nice tic tac toe play with Holmes and Durham. 1-0 Blue
12 min in White Goal. Landa. Scrum in front of Clark. 1-2
13 min in Blue Goal. Kolyachonok. 2-1 Blue
Penalty Shot by White - Moskowitz denied by Clark. Still 2-1 Blue
19 min in Blue Goal. Durham. Nice 2 on 1 with Oksentyuk. 3 -1 Blue

2nd Half. Morrison in for Blue. Did not see Harris on White at all both today and yesterday. No Vierling as well today.
4 min in White Goal. Phibbs 3-2 Blue
Huge save by Morrison probably his best of camp on Othmann
9 min in White Goal. Mansfield on a tip going to net. 3-3
10 min in White Goal. Busby 4-3 white
16 min in White Goal. Bianconi 5-3 white
Blue pulled the goalie with 2 min remaining.
White empty net goal - Phibbs 6-3 White

Shoot Out
Blue Misses - Grioux, Hernandez and Deline
White Misses - Bianconi and Phibbs (great move though). White Goal - Maloney

Observations: Koly playing more offensively. On rushes, near the net. Should get more points being more aggressive offensively. Oksentyuk is going to be a good player. Very aggressive, good shot. Doesn't mind getting dirty.

We will see the first cuts shortly with roster for the blue and white game come out later. Then on Saturday it is a pre-season game in Guelph.

Reactions: TcNorth

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Anybody know if there will be cuts made before the Blue vs White game tonight? I think I remember a rule that puts NCAA eligibility in jeopardy if a player is in camp for more than 48 hours, so anyone concerned about this may need to bow out after 2:00 this afternoon??? Maybe it's 72 hours???

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Anybody know if there will be cuts made before the Blue vs White game tonight? I think I remember a rule that puts NCAA eligibility in jeopardy if a player is in camp for more than 48 hours, so anyone concerned about this may need to bow out after 2:00 this afternoon??? Maybe it's 72 hours???

The 48 hour rule only applies if the team is paying for your expenses to be there. If your parents are covering your expenses past the 48 hours you can stay as long as you want, just not allowed free gear or to play in any games against other teams.

Reactions: Firebrd828
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad