Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
If Pilon makes the team and Power stays true to his Michigan commitment, that is 8 defensemen for Flint (Busby, Gretz, Gordeev, Nielsen, Pilon, Alexandria, Bianconi, McCourt).

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Has Bianconi signed yet?
It would surprise me if they sign him before Training Camp. They can only add two guys of the 13 chosen after Vierling and Power, so they'll probably want to get a look at them in camp with the current rostered players before they go signing any of them. Their Import selection this morning will effect needs, also.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Firebirds select RW Jan Jenik.

Coyotes did return Smereck to Flint last year, so hopefully we have a solid relationship there and they want this kid in the OHL.
If they did things right, they didn't draft him without already having an agreement in place with his NHL club.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
If they did things right, they didn't draft him without already having an agreement in place with his NHL club.
Well there has been a relationship there with Smereck and Phoenix took Busby so that should continue. I would be surprised if there hadn't been some communication with Phoenix before hand.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Yeah, seems like Phoenix is ok with their prospects being in Flint for now. I'd assume Flint received some assurances before drafting Jenik. Goal celebrations are a bit much but his offensive skills are apparent.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
This is my updated guesstimation. Obviously there will be trades as well

F-Connor Roberts
Evan Vierling. R
Jake Durham
Ty Dellandrea
Jack Wismer
Ryan Mansfield. R
CJ Clarke
Ethan Keppen
Jan Jenik. Import
Hunter Holmes
Eric Yuba. R to Flint
Kyle Harris
Littlejohn or Phibbs or Collins or Winnerton R to Flint

D-Dennis Busby
Nikita Alexandria. Import
Riley McCourt
Marcus Gretz
Fedor Gordeev
Michael Bianconi. R
Hakon Nilsen
Zach Pilon ?

G-Luke Cavallin
Aidan Pitre or Evan Morrison. R to Flint

This would be with 3 true rookies (2018 draft picks). Hanging by a thread are Littlejohn, Phibbs, Collins, Winnerton, and Pilon. Most of you seem to think Harris is a shoe-in. Bianconi, Mansfield, and Jenik still need to sign and make the team.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
This is my updated guesstimation. Obviously there will be trades as well

...G-Luke Cavallin
Aidan Pitre or Evan Morrison. R to Flint...
Was thinking...without any trades or wildcard acquisitions involving the goalie position, there's a darn good chance that BOTH Pitre and Morrison suit up for the Firebirds this season. I have to imagine that Cavallin will miss some time while away with the Canadian U18 team.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Hockey Canada shows tryouts for U18 are end of July 28-Aug 1st. Actual tournament is Aug 6 -11.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Hockey Canada shows tryouts for U18 are end of July 28-Aug 1st. Actual tournament is Aug 6 -11.
That's before the season and even training camp, then. Cavallin missed some time during the season last year while away with Team Canada...what was that for???

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
That's before the season and even training camp, then. Cavallin missed some time during the season last year while away with Team Canada...what was that for???
I think that was the world U17 Hockey Challenge. Both Cavallin and Keppen went to that and Oulahan was one of the coaches for it. It was literally when the wheels fell off last year. Second week of November I think it was

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I think that was the world U17 Hockey Challenge. Both Cavallin and Keppen went to that and Oulahan was one of the coaches for it. It was literally when the wheels fell off last year. Second week of November I think it was
Yeah, that certainly was when things took a sharp downturn. I think I was told Ouhlahen will be a coach again this year. Vierling is a sure bet to be gone, Bianconi could be selected too and Owen Power will likely also be on one of HC's three rosters. Don't be shocked to see Dellandrea and/or Jenik gone for WJC. Cavallin, Keppen for U18's and possibly a few kids to miss a couple games while at NHL camps.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Yeah, that certainly was when things took a sharp downturn. I think I was told Ouhlahen will be a coach again this year. Vierling is a sure bet to be gone, Bianconi could be selected too and Owen Power will likely also be on one of HC's three rosters. Don't be shocked to see Dellandrea and/or Jenik gone for WJC. Cavallin, Keppen for U18's and possibly a few kids to miss a couple games while at NHL camps.
I don't really like the Idea of Ouhlahan gone because the team looked like a ship with no rudder while he was at the tournament last year. Not to Knock Flache but he didn't seem to be able to get a handle on his team as the wheels came off. When Ouhlahan returned you could see things start to pull back together almost immediately. I get it though Ouhlahan is trying to get himself as much as exposure here as he can so he can advance his own career. Flache was a rookie assistant last year hopefully this year he has a better grip on his team and keeps the wheels on until Ouhlahan returns.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I don't really like the Idea of Ouhlahan gone because the team looked like a ship with no rudder while he was at the tournament last year. Not to Knock Flache but he didn't seem to be able to get a handle on his team as the wheels came off. When Ouhlahan returned you could see things start to pull back together almost immediately. I get it though Ouhlahan is trying to get himself as much as exposure here as he can so he can advance his own career. Flache was a rookie assistant last year hopefully this year he has a better grip on his team and keeps the wheels on until Ouhlahan returns.
I don't think it's an even trade off with him being absent but having your head coach also be a coach for one of Canada's National Teams should theoretically help with recruiting and kind of afford your organization/coaching staff with a certain level of....prestige I guess you could say.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the OHL have Joe Birch (OHL's Senior Director of Hockey Development) step onto the bench while Oulehen was away? I don't think Flache was given the reins.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Vierling and Jenik will really upgrade the talent level giving us two very good lines and a third to really watch out for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad