Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamma82

Jul 16, 2003
Joe's Garage
And thats the reason they are late rounders, most have made it known they are going the college route.

I feel like with the education some kids could get while here, Flint needs to use that to its advantage.

I doubt any of these guys would go to Kettering, but UofM Flint is a Michigan degree, so thats gotta account for something and Mott is a very solid community college.
Have to do a better sales job, not just on the kids, but probably more so on the parents. If these kids have college commitments they have already gone through the process of visiting campuses and such with their parents. The Mom and Dad already are sold on the college route and the college they have committed too, you need to convince them that the OHL route is better for their son not just for their hockey career.

If all you are doing is throwing a flyer on a late round pick without any real push towards getting the kid to report, then it seems like a waste of that pick. These American kids have the USHL option that lets them keep their college eligibility.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Have to do a better sales job, not just on the kids, but probably more so on the parents. If these kids have college commitments they have already gone through the process of visiting campuses and such with their parents. The Mom and Dad already are sold on the college route and the college they have committed too, you need to convince them that the OHL route is better for their son not just for their hockey career.

If all you are doing is throwing a flyer on a late round pick without any real push towards getting the kid to report, then it seems like a waste of that pick. These American kids have the USHL option that lets them keep their college eligibility.
Two things, I know at least a few of the kids take online college courses while playing in Flint as opposed to actually going to the campus. Also, they can offer guarantees to a certain number of kids. Guaranteed 4 years of tuition or whatever. I'm sure someone has a better knowledge of how the league's Gold packages or whatnot work. I'd be pointing out to the kids that as soon as they go down with a serious injury you can be sure that NCAA scholarship is gone and unless they got the $ to pay tuition they'll be degree-less and have no hockey career options.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
There was this Smereck kid who I heard about that was a 15th round pick. Flint has had multiple later round American picks turn out to be quality hockey players. James Greenway (Wisconsin), Tyler Johnson (Soo Greyhounds), Evan Barrett (Penn St), Wyatt Bongiovanni (Quinnipiac), Zack Pittman, Vasili Kolias (Union), Noah Lalonde (Lake Superior), Joel Farabee (BU), Curtis Hall (Yale). That's just from the last few years and I might be missing some kids. The issue has been being able to recruit those kids.
Flint has done a pi$$ poor job of getting American kids to report. Maybe it is because of Rolf? Saginaw has done a much much better job than Flint. Also, I never considered Greenway, Barrett, Bongiovanni, or Farabee low round picks like we have been mostly talking about.

Last edited:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Two things, I know at least a few of the kids take online college courses while playing in Flint as opposed to actually going to the campus. Also, they can offer guarantees to a certain number of kids. Guaranteed 4 years of tuition or whatever. I'm sure someone has a better knowledge of how the league's Gold packages or whatnot work. I'd be pointing out to the kids that as soon as they go down with a serious injury you can be sure that NCAA scholarship is gone and unless they got the $ to pay tuition they'll be degree-less and have no hockey career options.

The rule for OHL players regarding education is that for each season they play in the league they receive one year of post secondary schooling paid for. Any post secondary courses taken while the players are still playing with they team are paid for by the team and do not count towards the "scholarship" they have access to after graduating from the OHL. Here are more details from the OHL website......

Financial commitment for the education of all players:
  • All education costs paid for by the OHL team while playing in the OHL including tuition, books, compulsory fees and room and board.
  • Every OHL Player is eligible for a scholarship from their respective team, administered through the league office, upon graduating from the OHL.
  • Minimum scholarship benefit for graduating players is tuition, books and compulsory fees for each season played in the OHL toward an undergraduate degree.
  • Maximum scholarship benefit for graduating players is tuition, books, compulsory fees and room and board toward an undergraduate degree
OHL Prospective Player Information – Ontario Hockey League

Reactions: Savard18 and MJ5

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Flint has done a pi$$ poor job of getting American kids to report. Maybe it is because of Rolf? Saginaw has done a much much better job than Flint. Also, I never considered Greenway, Barrett, Bongiovanni, or Farabee low round picks like we have been mostly talking about.
I agree for the most part. I think it's a bit Rolf and a bit water crisis (even though thousands of U.S. Cities have worse lead issues, look it up) and the media perception over the last few years. Flint did pull Gretz and Harris last year though. While Saginaw has done well with kids like Busdecker, Goldowski and a couple others, I think they got a bit lucky with Jenkins and Wilde. Jenkins completely underperformed at the NTDP and I think his plans changed after he discovered he wasn't a good fit there and wasn't getting the opportunity he wanted. Something clearly went down with Wilde and I think UofM decommitted to HIM more than the other way around. While I think there's a good chance he pulls on Spirit jersey, he hasn't just yet and they may end up trading him for picks. Yes though, Flint needs to up their recruiting game and at least match Saginaw's recent success.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I am hearing Owen Power plans to play in the OJHL or USHL. He was a 1st round pick of the Chicago Steel.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Gretz gave up his Scholarship to come to Flint

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Power was a top 10 talent..had no problem taking a chance on him where we picked him..win some lose some...I think at some point this season he’d be on the top pairing on our D

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Power was a top 10 talent..had no problem taking a chance on him where we picked him..win some lose some...I think at some point this season he’d be on the top pairing on our D
I do not necessarily agree with that high of a 2nd round pick, particularly with him having already been committed to Michigan and us being the #20 team out of 20 teams. We cannot afford to lose that high of picks with nothing in return or we are bound to be in the bottom three in the league for the fordeable future. Gretz was a different case. He had attended several Flint games prior to the draft, lived less than an hour away, and had discussions with Flint’s brass about reporting if drafted.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It's a bit of a slap at past decisions of the owner. Not so much of a slap as a destination for current OHL hopefuls. Where did Hakon go to camp this year? NYI. Think Gruden convinces them to sign him? Ha.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
It's a bit of a slap at past decisions of the owner. Not so much of a slap as a destination for current OHL hopefuls. Where did Hakon go to camp this year? NYI. Think Gruden convinces them to sign him? Ha.

Yes, right after pops buys the team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad