Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Kyle Harris isn't going anywhere. I like Phibbs and he played some of the best hockey of his OHL career in the last few games last season but I just don't see a spot for him on THIS roster. I'm not completely sold that Mansfield, Winterton or even Uba are guaranteed a spot just yet and I wouldn't be shocked to see Clarke, Durham, Wismer or Littlejohn moved. I like all those kids' game and see potential but the numbers game is catching somebody out.

It would be nice to actually have a few extra guys like most teams in this league do. 1 or 2 forwards, an extra dman at least. Maybe they rotate some of the rookies minus Vierling, we know he will play.

I agree with you questioning Clarke, Durham, Wismer, & Littlejohn.

I'd take Wismer off that list tho, he did show up on a NHL scouting report for a bit, I thought after about the first maybe 20/25 games, he started to really turn a corner and showed he belonged.

If I am moving one of those guys, its Durham. Clarke and Durham have similar numbers, but I feel Clarke plays a much better 2 way game. Durham put up okay numbers, but hes a 99, and I'd rather have a younger guy develop more with 2 years remaining, not an OA season. I can't see Durham turning into a player we would even take a chance on wasting a OA spot for.

Also 100% agree with Phibbs being an odd man out.

Reactions: Savard18

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
He was both
He was almost exclusively a D early in the season when the team had injuries on the back end but mostly played forward once those bodies returned. If they're going to keep him as an OA with this roster, I see him mostly being used as a defensive forward and possibly the responsible F with some of the younger guys who can also play D in a pinch if he's needed. He has proven himself to be one of the most versatile players the organization has. What this has me wondering though, is what the lineup looks like as far as left and right handed shots and if I'm overlooking something. There was a nice mix of both last year and I didn't pay attention to that much but sometimes it's key for winning a faceoff or setting up the right play or scheme.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It would be nice to actually have a few extra guys like most teams in this league do. 1 or 2 forwards, an extra dman at least. Maybe they rotate some of the rookies minus Vierling, we know he will play.

I'd take Wismer off that list tho, he did show up on a NHL scouting report for a bit, I thought after about the first maybe 20/25 games, he started to really turn a corner and showed he belonged.

If I am moving one of those guys, its Durham. Clarke and Durham have similar numbers, but I feel Clarke plays a much better 2 way game. Durham put up okay numbers, but hes a 99, and I'd rather have a younger guy develop more with 2 years remaining, not an OA season. I can't see Durham turning into a player we would even take a chance on wasting a OA spot for.

I agree. I added Clarke and Wismer because they should theoretically be able to get decent returns for them. Teams have 30 "cards" to use on players I believe. Would love to see them carry 8 D and 14-15 F. They'll be missing a lot of kids out of this group for camps/tournaments this year.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Zach Pilon not Jack. Also Jacob Collins is a forward not a defenseman.
I put Collns as a dedenseman because I doubt he makes the team as a forward. Could be true for “D” as well. You have a lot more faith in Harris’s future than I do. He could be one of the three I mentioned to make it.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I put Collns as a dedenseman because I doubt he makes the team as a forward. Could be true for “D” as well. You have a lot more faith in Harris’s future than I do. He could be one of the three I mentioned to make it.

Harris was very solid last year for a rookie, just needs to add some weight and muscle. Hopefully hes spending a bunch of time in the gym.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015

I really think Clarke and Wismer are safe, unless traded. Not sure what we could get for Durham or Littlefield if anything. And yes, Mansfield, Uba, and Winterton still need to make the ream. If orientation camp is any indication, Mansfield should have a spot.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Here's how I'm going to sort them out:

CORE (Will be leaned on heavily this season)
Roberts
Holmes
Vierling (R)(team has a lot riding on this pick)
Dellandrea
Keppen

Busby
Gretz
Nilsen (OA)

Cavallin

SAFE BETS
Wismer
Clarke
Harris
Import Forward

Gordeev (only not in "Core" because I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved during season)
Bianconi (R)
McCort

Collins (OA)(makes team for leadership and versatility)

ON THE BUBBLE
Durham
Littlejohn
Uba
Mansfield (R)
Winterton (numbers game says one of these 5 Fs is likely out)

Pilon (a trade or OA signing for a D-man would put him off roster)

Pitre/Morrison (advantage to Morrison because the team has already spent a card on him. OA Goalie a possibility)

OUT
Phibbs (just not a spot for him)
Alexandrov (team needs it's Imports to be impact players)

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Not seeing why Harris a 7th rounder from last year is safe while Pilon a 4th round from last year is not safe. Yes, I know different positions and the round doesn’t particularly matter.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Not seeing why Harris a 7th rounder from last year is safe while Pilon a 4th round from last year is not safe. Yes, I know different positions and the round doesn’t particularly matter.

One of the sources that put out mock drafts, and reviewed the drafts said Harris should have went earlier, but people were under the impression he was going the college route. He was mentioned as a steal in the draft when he committed.

Harris also proved he could play nightly, while Pilon I thought looked lost and slow a lot of the time.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Because, as MJ5 stated, Harris was picked late because he was a college commit.
Because 12 forwards play each night and only 6 defense.
Because, truth be told, Pilon didn't show me much last year.
Because Hakon Nilsen.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Because, as MJ5 stated, Harris was picked late because he was a college commit.
Because 12 forwards play each night and only 6 defense.
Because, truth be told, Pilon didn't show me much last year.
Because Hakon Nilsen.
Remember,we keep more than 12 forwards
Remember, Harris didn’t show much either
Remember, we keep more han 6 defensmen

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Remember,we keep more than 12 forwards
Remember, Harris didn’t show much either
Remember, we keep more han 6 defensmen
Remember, never actually coming to games and actually seeing kids play and just judging them by a stat sheet is a horrible way to assess talent.
Remember, what a player looks like as a 16yo doesn't determine what he'll look like at 17, 18 or 19.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Just my 2 cents for what its worth. In watching Harris last season looked like he had potential. Looked like there could be big upside to him.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
The 3rd and 4th lines for the Birds didn't score much. Not that there wasn't skill on those lines, they just didn't have the natural goal scorers.

Outside of Keppen, I thought Harris was the 2nd most consistent rookie (Goalie not included). Gretz struggled in 2017, seemed like once we flipped the calendar he played much better late in the year. Harris just needs to add 20lbs, skill is there.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It always takes defenseman a little longer to transition to the next level. Gretz showed flashes of big time potential mixed in with those struggles and you're right, he improved bit by bit through the season, occasionally regressing for a period or game. Remember he was 15 until late November also....which brings me to Pilon. Zach Pilon's birthday is November 28, 2000. Marcus Gretz's is November 22, 2001. Both were drafted last year, does the cutoff date fall in between those two dates? I thought Zach was ok, considering he was transitioning to the OHL, on a team that was mediocre to horrendous (as a team) at times defensively. I thought he also showed some potential to grow into a solid, gritty, stay at home 5-6D....maybe top 4 by the time he's 19. A "Alex Peters Light" type kid. If he's currently technically 17, I think they should keep a roster spot for him, if he's actually going into his 18yo season, I'm leaning a bit more towards 828's thinking. I'm also awfully curious as to how the goaltending situation turns out, especially with Import goalies now being allowed.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
...Zach Pilon's birthday is November 28, 2000. Marcus Gretz's is November 22, 2001. Both were drafted last year, does the cutoff date fall in between those two dates?...
I guess I didn't realize that Pilon is a 2000. I would have to assume that means that he went undrafted in his first year of being eligible, because to the best of my knowledge, the cutoff is Dec 31st/Jan 1st. I'm pretty sure the OHL drafts strictly according to birth year.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Keppen got buried IMO because NC and RM were still around (just like Ty D). Once they left you could see players real potential.

Reactions: MJ5

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I guess I didn't realize that Pilon is a 2000. I would have to assume that means that he went undrafted in his first year of being eligible, because to the best of my knowledge, the cutoff is Dec 31st/Jan 1st. I'm pretty sure the OHL drafts strictly according to birth year.
I like Zach and think he showed potential for a young D, but if that's how birth dates work then I kinda gotta agree with you about him being on the outside looking in this year. We'll see what happens with the import draft and Owen Power.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Sooooo...goalies are allowed in this year's Import draft. I've seen reports as drastic as 14 goalies taken in the first 31 picks, amongst the 3 leagues. Lets hope Flint feels comfortable with their current goaltending depth (and hope they're correct too) and doesn't take a G. Let's say 1-2 get taken before Flint picks at 6. Let's say that the high number of goalies DOES get taken in the first round. That leaves a higher level of F and D talent available for Flint to choose from. Let's hope they score 2 solid skaters and find a way to get them to report. Also, best wishes and good luck to all the Firebirds hoping to get selected by an NHL club this weekend!

Reactions: Toldyaso
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad