Flint Firebirds 2015-16 Season Thread ‎(part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Do the Firebirds ever get any print coverage in Flint? - or is it only when there's some sort of juicy controversy.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
How's Vili Saarijärvi has done there after the world juniors.
By the way is Vili AHL eligible next season or will he play another season in Flint?

three dog night

May 3, 2014
We welcome Flint to Niagara Thursday night I wonder if they will start Moran. Any Flint fans coming to Niagara if they are I am sure you will like the Meridian Centre.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
How's Vili Saarijärvi has done there after the world juniors.
By the way is Vili AHL eligible next season or will he play another season in Flint?

He was elgible this season and will be next season but I think he'll be back on Flint

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Still shows flashes of big time offensive potential but it's inconsistent. He's been almost nonexistent defensively lately. Has a knack for finding himself standing next to the goal scorer or being late to reach him. Has shown almost no willingness to play the body and his stick isn't good enough to shut down offensive threats. Considering his foot speed, it's surprising how much forwards are able to get behind him. That being said, I gotta think a bit of blame has to be placed on all the turmoil surrounding the team and the coaching disruptions. Someone on this board commented that he wouldn't return if Gruden didn't return. How true that is, I don't know but, if he's struggling this much to stop teenagers I can't imagine Detroit will want him facing men in either the ECHL or AHL. He's not ready.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Throughout the season I've periodically checked in on Firebirds prospects and property. I had noticed that Tyler Johnson, who played one game in goal for Plymouth last year was having a pretty good season in the NAHL and was on the short list of 2016 NHL draft prospects in net. I see that he's now apparently committed to the University of Maine. Is that even possible? I figured his NCAA eligibility was gone.

NorthHockey

Sep 9, 2014
My understanding there is a process in place whereby players who have played a minimal amount of time in the ohl can appeal to have their contract cancelled. Think there has been a handful who have been successful in doing so but also many who have been denied.

Not sure if this is the case with Johnson, but he may have taken that route.

Either way in my opinion, the OHL provides the best chance to get to the NHL however others may beg to differ.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Still shows flashes of big time offensive potential but it's inconsistent. He's been almost nonexistent defensively lately. Has a knack for finding himself standing next to the goal scorer or being late to reach him. Has shown almost no willingness to play the body and his stick isn't good enough to shut down offensive threats. Considering his foot speed, it's surprising how much forwards are able to get behind him. That being said, I gotta think a bit of blame has to be placed on all the turmoil surrounding the team and the coaching disruptions. Someone on this board commented that he wouldn't return if Gruden didn't return. How true that is, I don't know but, if he's struggling this much to stop teenagers I can't imagine Detroit will want him facing men in either the ECHL or AHL. He's not ready.

I agree on all points of your assessment, but would add one thing...for some reason, he has been on the ice with Henderson an awful lot lately, and I think this has a lot to do with it. Henderson is the one D on the team that is better offensively and weaker defensively that Saarijarvi. I don't understand this pairing AT ALL. They are even seeing the ice together on the PK. Makes no sense whatsoever. They both REALLY need a defensively minded partner.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I agree on all points of your assessment, but would add one thing...for some reason, he has been on the ice with Henderson an awful lot lately, and I think this has a lot to do with it. Henderson is the one D on the team that is better offensively and weaker defensively that Saarijarvi. I don't understand this pairing AT ALL. They are even seeing the ice together on the PK. Makes no sense whatsoever. They both REALLY need a defensively minded partner.

I KNOW! That's been confusing me too. Gruden was doing it and now so is Stefan. Wouldn't you put one of them with Peters? They've been playing Peters with Duchesne a lot too who's kind of a young Peters prototype. It seems like those guys would be split up too. It gets so frustrating watching Henderson pinch in and then Saarijarvi go at the same time and just hoping at least one forward covers. As many bad goals have been allowed lately, they've been leaving the tender out to dry a lot too, which HAS to wreck their confidence.

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
Hakon Nilsen has hired Pat Ducharme to represent him. OHL better gear up it's going to get messy.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/future-of-the-flint-firebirds-remains-in-limbo-1.450480

Its really too bad it has come to this in Flint. I went down to Saturday's game and was really impressed with the facility and the fans.

I hope the OHL stays in Flint, but not with this ownership group. If the Firebirds are still in Flint, I'd be making another trip down to the Dort.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
My understanding there is a process in place whereby players who have played a minimal amount of time in the ohl can appeal to have their contract cancelled. Think there has been a handful who have been successful in doing so but also many who have been denied.

Not sure if this is the case with Johnson, but he may have taken that route.

Either way in my opinion, the OHL provides the best chance to get to the NHL however others may beg to differ.
I do not think there is any process for that.

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012

This is off the NCAA reinstatement page based on prior reinstatements.

Competition with Professionals
• Certification conditions are assessed for each violation that occurs so if an individual is involved in multiple violations, certification conditions will be imposed for each violation.
• Prospective student-athlete includes any individual who is subject to review by the NCAA amateurism certification staff.
• The committee noted that reinstatement staff should continue to review factors that may increase or decrease the certification conditions.
Description of Violation
Certification Condition
1. Prospective student-athlete competed on a team that met NCAA definition of professional while in high school (prior to first opportunity to enroll at a collegiate institution).

Eligibility reinstated based on a one for one contest withholding condition for every competition with professionals, not to exceed the equivalent of an NCAA season.*1, 2, 3.
(June 2006),(May 2008),(May 2010)

2. Prospective student-athlete competed on a team that met NCAA definition of professional after first opportunity to enroll at a collegiate institution.

Eligibility reinstated based on a two for one contest withholding condition for every competition with professionals. This penalty can exceed equivalent of an NCAA season.*1, 2, 3.
(June2006),(May 2008),(May 2010)

3. Prospective student-athlete competed on a team that met NCAA definition of professional subsequent to initial collegiate enrollment at a non-NCAA institution.

Eligibility reinstated based on a two for one contest withholding condition for every competition with professionals. This penalty can exceed equivalent of an NCAA season.*4.
(December 2011)

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Division I ACP Guidelines Chart (May 2015).pdf

So it can be done but it is rare.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Ugh. What do they have against DFCU? One win at home since Nov 25 but victories AT Sudbury, Windsor, Oshawa, Saginaw, Kitchener, Sarnia, Sault Ste Marie and now Erie. Congratulations but, c'mon...Give us at least one more at home before the season ends. I'll take a wrist rocket and try to get Mr Burns up in his little box if you do.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Nice win tonight for the Dogs . Moran made some good saves let in a few soft goals nice shortie by Bittan. Surprise to see Flint mascot at the game.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
If my math is working, Saginaw's 1pt for an OT loss last night means that the Firebirds' only remaining chance of making the playoffs is for them to win all 4 remaining games and for Saginaw to lose all 4 in regulation.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
If my math is working, Saginaw's 1pt for an OT loss last night means that the Firebirds' only remaining chance of making the playoffs is for them to win all 4 remaining games and for Saginaw to lose all 4 in regulation.

In other words, we are not going to make the playoffs.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
It has been reported that Phil Hagerman, CEO of Diplomat Pharmacy as well as Tom Gores, owner of the NBA’s Detroit Pistons were in attendance Saturday night for the Flint Firebirds game against Kitchener. Both Hagerman and Gores are extremely active in the Flint area. Per OHLInsiders. Diplomat Pharmacy is the United States largest independent specialty pharmacy and headquartered in Flint and Tom Gores grew up in the Flint area and attended Genesee High School. Very interesting.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It has been reported that Phil Hagerman, CEO of Diplomat Pharmacy as well as Tom Gores, owner of the NBA’s Detroit Pistons were in attendance Saturday night for the Flint Firebirds game against Kitchener. Both Hagerman and Gores are extremely active in the Flint area. Per OHLInsiders. Diplomat Pharmacy is the United States largest independent specialty pharmacy and headquartered in Flint and Tom Gores grew up in the Flint area and attended Genesee High School. Very interesting.

Well that sounds like pretty positive news and a different (possibly even better) option than the one I had heard. For those who haven't been following the OHL draft thread, it's been reported that Kirill Nizhnikov and Sergey Popov, both Russians playing for Toronto Jr Canadiens (who have been granted residency status and are not considered import players) would report if drafted by Flint. With Flint having the #3 and #5 picks it's very possible they can draft and recruit both. Nizhnikov is one of if not the top ranked Forward available for the 2016 OHL Priority draft. Popov apparently isn't ranked much farther behind. Let's hope Nizhnikov makes it to #3. Of nearly as much importance, Macker88/Prospects hockey has released their list of the top 210 OHL prospects already drafted but not playing for their respective clubs. Their prospect report for Flint is Definetly worth taking the time to read. Being able to recruit those kids, like Greenway, Barratt, Phibbs, Bongiovanni, Nedeljkovic, Walsh ect. could have an immediate impact on the franchise. A few of them seem less likely than others but there's still the possibility they could be brought into the fold for 2016-2017 or 2017-2018.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

That's encouraging news. If one or both of them end up buying the franchise, though, there still may be an issue with the arena if Nilsen still owns that. Gores would certainly have the financial resources to purchase that, too, if Nilsen would sell. Moving the team to The Palace wouldn't be the best option, as the arena is too big for an OHL team, and the site already had one failed minor hockey attempt in the Vipers. Getting ownership with strong local ties would be great for the franchise if it can be worked out, as it would provide long term stability.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009

OF course there is, it happens often.

Johnston applied to the NCAA to re-establish his eligibility. He'll probably have to sit out a period of time (1 month to a year) before being placed on Maine's roster.

Odd that Flint traded for so many goaltenders this year when they already had one signed in their backyard that seemed to have ability who had already committed to the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad