Flint Firebirds 2015-16 Season Thread ‎(part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
No talk on here about Connor Sills...supposedly has asked for his release from the team and plans to play in the GOJHL. Any ideas as to why he would want to do this???

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Never thought I would say this, but I think Rolf Nilsen is a cancer!

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Because he can make more money down there and his season will run until the end of the Sutherland Cup. Likely wants to go to Caledonia.

I'm of the opinion that it's about time that some of the teams should tell these players to take a hike.
If they want to leave let em go, but don't release them. Perhaps then they'll understand that it would be in their best interest to stay.
Teams invest a good deal of time and $$ in players and when they up and leave...where does it help the team they desert.
Same thing happened to the Spits. The team left in the lurch with few cards remaining and in a scramble to fill out their roster.
Then there's the fans to think of...they develope an attachment to the players who when they run home with their sticks, throw it back in the fans face...

I'm of the opinion that it's about time that some of the teams should tell these players to take a hike.
If they want to leave let em go, but don't release them. Perhaps then they'll understand that it would be in their best interest to stay.
Teams invest a good deal of time and $$ in players and when they up and leave...where does it help the team they desert.
Same thing happened to the Spits. The team left in the lurch with few cards remaining and in a scramble to fill out their roster.
Then there's the fans to think of...they develope an attachment to the players who when they run home with their sticks, throw it back in the fans face...
Agree 100% punch

Firebird56

Dec 6, 2015
I'm inclined to give Saarijarvi a pass this week-end. After winning the gold medal in his home country, he really didn't stick around in Finland all that long. He was in Finland, for what, three weeks for the WJC which is long enough for his body to adjust to the six hour time difference. Generally it takes an entire day to adjust to each hour of any time difference. His body must still think it's the middle of the night. Today's third game in three days has got to be brutal on top of that jet lag.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
G Matt Menna headed to Flint from Sudbury. Flint gave up a 7th round pick in 2017. I'm guessing Johnston will be released.

Last edited:

Firebird56

Dec 6, 2015
Flint acquires 17 year old goalie Matthew Menna from Sudbury for a 2017 seventh round pick. He played in ten games for Sudbury this year. 4.77 GAA and .860 save percentage.

AnotherDimwit

Sep 13, 2007
Grand Blanc, MI
Well we can thank Rolf for two things. 1. OHL hockey in Flint. 2. A second season thread.

From Firebirds twitter, they acquired Matt Menna from Sudbury. Unknown what they gave up. 4.77 GAA and .860 save percentage, so probably a ton. Is Keyser out for the season? Wanted to see more of him.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Really liked him in Sudbury, showed signs of brilliance when given the chance. Think Flint fans are going to love this kid, very much potential going forward.

AngryWhalersFan

Nov 22, 2014
No talk on here about Connor Sills...supposedly has asked for his release from the team and plans to play in the GOJHL. Any ideas as to why he would want to do this???

From what I'm told he hates everything about playing in Flint. On ice/Off ice. Then again all the guys he's been playing with the last few years are gone also. Bad timing now the OA deadline passed, maybe he wanted to leave Flint high and dry.

AngryWhalersFan

Nov 22, 2014
How long before Gruden is fired and Nilsen takes over as GM and Coach? Trades Bitten for 4-24 packs of Clean Water, Hakon starts at Center and in order to sell tickets Rolf wrestles a bear in a cage match at intermission. :popcorn:

But Noooo, can't name the team "Tropics" because they wouldn't be taken seriously... :sarcasm:

I'm sorry, This season has been frustrating. #LetsGetTropical

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Not going to miss Sills at all! Ready for next season alreadt, but with Rolf could be a similar season.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
How long before Gruden is fired and Nilsen takes over as GM and Coach? Trades Bitten for 4-24 packs of Clean Water, Hakon starts at Center and in order to sell tickets Rolf wrestles a bear in a cage match at intermission. :popcorn:

But Noooo, can't name the team "Tropics" because they wouldn't be taken seriously... :sarcasm:

I'm sorry, This season has been frustrating. #LetsGetTropical

Here's where you belong now.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1950331

Look, it's over. They've moved on. You should too. They're with somebody else now and frankly you're just embarrassing yourself coming around here stalking and trolling months after you were told it was over. Let's face it, it was pretty bad at the end and they had good reasons to move on. You should try to start with somebody new. I know when you offered your loyalty to Windsor nobody seemed to care but don't give up. There's still a place for you. After listening to you whine so much about marketing and "promotions" I think maybe hockey isn't your thing. Have you tried Chuck E Cheese or maybe the circus? Maybe go back to your old place. There's about 3,000 empty seats to choose from. Take your love for marketing and promotions and have a bake sale or something to raise funds to replace that giant lite brite hanging from the middle of your ceiling. Or maybe have a craft day and paint and add glitter to that giant unpainted particle board "media center" project in the middle of your arena. Seriously dude, get some therapy and move on, we're busy trying to fix the mess we inherited.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
That's two games Flint played well on the D side of the puck through the neutral zone and got good goaltending. They just need to get it going on the PP. Flint scored two lucky goals last night and Moore and Camaano didn't do much. Prime example of the streakiness of those two. Camaano played really well in London then was fighting the puck last night. Hope Bitten doesn't have anything lingering from last night, he was slow to the bench late in that 3rd period. Hope for a win against Guelph, they need the points. Good thing Saginaw lost last night, to bad it was in OT.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Look, it's over. They've moved on. You should too. They're with somebody else now and frankly you're just embarrassing yourself coming around here stalking and trolling months after you were told it was over. Let's face it, it was pretty bad at the end and they had good reasons to move on. You should try to start with somebody new. I know when you offered your loyalty to Windsor nobody seemed to care but don't give up. There's still a place for you. After listening to you whine so much about marketing and "promotions" I think maybe hockey isn't your thing. Have you tried Chuck E Cheese or maybe the circus? Maybe go back to your old place. There's about 3,000 empty seats to choose from. Take your love for marketing and promotions and have a bake sale or something to raise funds to replace that giant lite brite hanging from the middle of your ceiling. Or maybe have a craft day and paint and add glitter to that giant unpainted particle board "media center" project in the middle of your arena. Seriously dude, get some therapy and move on, we're busy trying to fix the mess we inherited.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

OHLInsiders

Mar 9, 2014

With all do respect, you did not "inherit" this mess, and Whalers fans have every right to be embarrassed and quite frankly pissed off that a sale to such a crooked owner was allowed.

I'm sure Whalers fans would hardly mind the move if the Firebirds were run like a professional organization. They understand that it wasn't working in Plymouth and understand the move. They're pissed off and embarrassed at what's been made of their franchise.

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

AngryWhalersFan

Nov 22, 2014
With all do respect, you did not "inherit" this mess, and Whalers fans have every right to be embarrassed and quite frankly pissed off that a sale to such a crooked owner was allowed.

I'm sure Whalers fans would hardly mind the move if the Firebirds were run like a profotessional organization. They understand that it wasn't working in Plymouth and understand the move. They're pissed off and embarrassed at what's been made of their franchise.

If you're proud to say you're associated with the Firebirds in any way, you're nuts.

I'm less angry with what's become of the Whalers (since there's 7 players?) than the embarrassment the Firebirds have brought to the league. I don't think the fans realize how much of an effect this "circus" has on not only future Firebirds picks but future OHL picks reporting to the league. I sure as hell wouldn't want my son going to Flint to ride the bench while Hakon gets the playing time.

I've been where you are and I understand. I'm pretty upset when my team has won 1 of the last 10 and is being outplayed by the worst team in the OHL.

Savard18, nothing against you personally. But if you think Flint "inherited" all of this check your roster at the beginning of the season compared to now... Day 1 this team had a shot at the playoffs.

That hot tub and those cheerleaders are probably doing wonders for making this team look professional :)

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I'm less angry with what's become of the Whalers (since there's 7 players?) than the embarrassment the Firebirds have brought to the league. I don't think the fans realize how much of an effect this "circus" has on not only future Firebirds picks but future OHL picks reporting to the league. I sure as hell wouldn't want my son going to Flint to ride the bench while Hakon gets the playing time.

I've been where you are and I understand. I'm pretty upset when my team has won 1 of the last 10 and is being outplayed by the worst team in the OHL.

Savard18, nothing against you personally. But if you think Flint "inherited" all of this check your roster at the beginning of the season compared to now... Day 1 this team had a shot at the playoffs.

That hot tub and those cheerleaders are probably doing wonders for making this team look professional :)

If picks keep showing up in Barrie, Sudbury, Windsor & Saginaw then they will keep showing up in Flint as well.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015

I'm sure Whalers fans would hardly mind the move if the Firebirds were run like a professional organization. They understand that it wasn't working in Plymouth and understand the move. They're pissed off and embarrassed at what's been made of their franchise.

MOD

Sorry, but Flint did inherit a very, very poor team. As for the mess here in Flint, yes, Rolf has created a mess (not the city, fans or players). Be it the hiring of Christenson as GM, with no OHL experience or his constant meddling in hockey affairs, Rolf has been terrible. Heck, we are embarrased with our team management, however, us or them feeling embarrassed does not do any good or serve any purpose.

OHLInsiders

Mar 9, 2014
Sorry, but Flint did inherit a very, very poor team. As for the mess here in Flint, yes, Rolf has created a mess (not the city, fans or players). Be it the hiring of Christenson as GM, with no OHL experience or his constant meddling in hockey affairs, Rolf has been terrible. Heck, we are embarrased with our team management, however, us or them feeling embarrassed does not do any good or serve any purpose.

So what, you inherited a below par roster. Go the course and build a winner, just like every other franchise tries to do when in that spot. But Rolf has made an embarrassment of the franchise and the history that comes with it.

If we can agree on that, then we can close the book on this conversation and move forward to talking about what happens when Branch reacquires the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce