Confirmed with Link: Fleury re-signed (4 years, $23M, $5.75M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yes. Added the (s). Thanks.

Yes I saw after.

It adds some perspective at least to the deal, even for those who hate Fleury and have wanted him gone for years.

Scrambling at the end of the year for a goalie, any goalie, is not where you want a team who on every other front should be one of the cup favorites starting next year.

Crosby, Malkin, Letang, that defense, all on the cheap in a $81 million per cap world. We can finally address that wing (or two) issue for the top six. And in the hypothetical where we jettison Fleury we are playing Philly of the past few decades in goalie quest.

No one, and I mean NO ONE in this ongoing drama that has divided this board for at least the past half decade is blind to Fleury's 'adventures'. However, it could be worse. A lot worse. That is the dividing line in the camps.

And we can not afford much worse on a cup potential team. Better would be great, but I do not see how we get there without gutting the team, and even then there is no guarantee. Philly gutted their team to gain the cap space to add an 'elite' goalie a few years ago. How did that work out? Teams have won cups with much worse goalies that Fleury. Hell, the Pens have won with him. Again, it could be much worse.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
The list of teams with a No Fleury Clause is probably a lot bigger than the 12 team list MAF can submit. So basically this is a no move contract. The 12 team is actually pretty fair for both sides, I just don't see anyone wanting him.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
"The Penguins believe that, by preventing shots on goal, their goalie will be better."

1) Don't worry, Fleury has found ways to allow non-shots into the net

2) Wouldn't this premise apply to any goalie the Penguins employed? If you're expecting a lack of shots to lead to improvement in your goalie, why not spend less on the goalie and more on the people preventing the shots?

Ok, preventing shots is systematic. Bylsma's system was "play offense all the time so you don't have to play defense" so when the Pens got pinned in their zone for a minute and a half, gave up 5 quality scoring chances and Fleury let one buy all the sudden he's the a-hole goaltender. Fleury faced so many quality chances playing under Bylsma's system that he over played EVERY shot. Since Bales has arrived it seems Fleury has learned to be more selective. Do you think Marty Brodeur would be considered and all time great if the Devils didn't play solid team defense in front of him for all those years?? The Devils did not win all those years because Marty Brodeur was great, he was just a solid piece of the puzzle.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
Ok, preventing shots is systematic. Bylsma's system was "play offense all the time so you don't have to play defense" so when the Pens got pinned in their zone for a minute and a half, gave up 5 quality scoring chances and Fleury let one buy all the sudden he's the a-hole goaltender. Fleury faced so many quality chances playing under Bylsma's system that he over played EVERY shot. Since Bales has arrived it seems Fleury has learned to be more selective. Do you think Marty Brodeur would be considered and all time great if the Devils didn't play solid team defense in front of him for all those years?? The Devils did not win all those years because Marty Brodeur was great, he was just a solid piece of the puzzle.

I won't say they won because he was great, but he was indeed great. He doesn't belong in this conversation imo.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014

This keeps being brought up all the time. Is there any metric or anything whatsoever to suggest that Fleury actually had to face more quality chances than other goaltenders?

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
So if resigning Fleury is not he answer-please make a suggestion.

Wait til the off-season?

If he does well, or even average, we pay him what...an extra $250k?

If he implodes, we sign Greiss and a backup, and save a few million dollars on the cap to better the team. While getting the same "average" results in the playoffs.

I just hate the timing of this. Make him earn the contract.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Wait til the off-season?

If he does well, or even average, we pay him what...an extra $250k?

If he implodes, we sign Greiss and a backup, and save a few million dollars on the cap to better the team. While getting the same "average" results in the playoffs.

I just hate the timing of this. Make him earn the contract.

I guess that this is the crux of the disagreement in the camps.

The assumption in one camp that Fleury, warts and all, is easily replaceable should he walk, or be shown the door. And make no mistake, someone would make him an offer, several most likely, if he should have a good year and playoffs.

And if he walks, then what?

We are in the same position, at least for a few years, Philly has been for a few decades now.

As I have said above, whatever warts Fleury has shown over the years, it could be worse.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Forget about whether JR should have waited longer to sign MAF. What this means is the Pens have MAF for four more years. If he plays great, he will not be traded. If he falls on his face during the playoffs, nobody would trade for him.

Ya totally. No team in the league would want a guy proven to be able to win 35+ games a year. Great point.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I guess that this is the crux of the disagreement in the camps.

The assumption in one camp that Fleury, warts and all, is easily replaceable should he walk, or be shown the door. And make no mistake, someone would make him an offer, several most likely, if he should have a good year and playoffs.

And if he walks, then what?

We are in the same position, at least for a few years, Philly has been for a few decades now.

As I have said above, whatever warts Fleury has shown over the years, it could be worse.

Add NYI. Washington maybe, too.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Ya totally. No team in the league would want a guy proven to be able to win 35+ games a year. Great point.

Well, start with naming at least 13 teams that would trade for him right now and then cross those off the list that would be scared away by another implosion. How many do you have left after that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad