Fleury a potential hall of famer?

BurghThang

Dec 14, 2013
I'm sure I will get blasted for this post, but I am interested in hearing what people think.

If Fleury averages 30 wins a season for the next 6 years (very doable...probably being conservative)...he will be in the top 5 all time in wins.

He currently sits at 276...add another 20 this year....296
Another 180 over the next 6 years (that's ages 30-36)...he would be sitting on 476 wins...placing him behind only Broduer, Roy, and Belfour.

Depending on health, he could push 500 career wins...placing him 3rd all time.

If...IF...he were to win another cup along the way...would that be HOF worthy?

thoughts?

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
If he gets near or past 500 wins AND has a redeeming Cup winning run, he would almost have to be a lock. You'd have a hard time convincing anyone how a guy with that many wins and multiple cups could be kept out of the HOF.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Wow... the standards for hall of fame must be pretty low for goalies. Wins are a team stat...

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
There is a possibility he could end up the winningest goalie in NHL history.

10 seasons, 35 wins in each, that's 350. Add on 276, his current wins. He'd only be 56 off Brodeur at the moment. This is with a conservative 35 wins as well.

Fire Shero*

I guess he has a shot if the hall of fame doesn't consider other facts such as sv%, GAA and the fact that he's been utterly pathetic in the playoffs for years

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Heads are going to explode because of this thread.

If Fleury does not win another cup, talk of his candidacy will always include "... but he won only one cup with a team with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin and he had (at this point in his career) several awful playoffs."

And that will be a serious criticism to overcome.

That said, I think if he gets just one more Cup and cruises past the 500-win mark, he will get very serious consideration. Especially when voters consider his gold-medal winning performance in 2018 after the Canadian goaltending fiasco of 2014. ;)

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa
The thing is, if his playoff woes continue, the penguins won't keep him around for that long. So if he's still starting for the team ten years from now you'd have to assume there was at least another cup in there somewhere.

Fire Shero*

The thing is, if his playoff woes continue, the penguins won't keep him around for that long. So if he's still starting for the team ten years from now you'd have to assume there was at least another cup in there somewhere.

Shero will never trade him...never

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't personally foresee Fleury's playoff woes continuing, but if they do, I think those who vote on Hall of Famers will make it very hard for him to get in. If he does turn his game around though, and he gets up over 500 wins with another Cup, and maybe even another Olympic medal...yeah, he will be in the Hall, and he should be.

And yeah, goaltending stats are predicated on the team and the system he plays behind. If a guy can get to 500 wins though...he's not doing that by fluke. I don't care what team he plays behind.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Heads are going to explode because of this thread.

If Fleury does not win another cup, talk of his candidacy will always include "... but he won only one cup with a team with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin and he had (at this point in his career) several awful playoffs."

And that will be a serious criticism to overcome.

That said, I think if he gets just one more Cup and cruises past the 500-win mark, he will get very serious consideration. Especially when voters consider his gold-medal winning performance in 2018 after the Canadian goaltending fiasco of 2014. ;)
MAF has to prove people wrong. Its as simple as that. He has to mature at a later stage than other goalies and become clutch.

The HOF is a funny thing. There are some pretty average players that have been good but been on great teams. There are also some great players that don't have the glitzy stats because the team support has never been there.

skullman80

Nov 18, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
I'm sure I will get blasted for this post, but I am interested in hearing what people think.

If Fleury averages 30 wins a season for the next 6 years (very doable...probably being conservative)...he will be in the top 5 all time in wins.

He currently sits at 276...add another 20 this year....296
Another 180 over the next 6 years (that's ages 30-36)...he would be sitting on 476 wins...placing him behind only Broduer, Roy, and Belfour.

Depending on health, he could push 500 career wins...placing him 3rd all time.

If...IF...he were to win another cup along the way...would that be HOF worthy?

thoughts?

You'd have to put a big * next to those wins, as how many of those came in the shootout compared to non shoot out wins for those other goalies.

Also.. no just no. I love the guy, but to me the HOF is for the very elite. This isn't the hall of very good.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Fleury is still under 30, and as has been shown in this thread, he still has a very long way to go in just regular season accomplishments, let alone playoff accomplishments.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Right now - reputation would overtake 'automatic' marks...but for him to get to those automatic marks would require him turning his game around and winning another Cup or two, which makes that possible.

Still seems about 5 years too soon to even be talking about such a possibility.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
no, not even close. It's not hyperbole to say he's the worst playoff goalie of all time, especially if you take his numbers in context of the era he plays in.

Do people think Chris Osgood should be in the HoF?

The whole idea sounds like a basis for an upcoming Rossi article.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
So are goals against and most other goalie stats. One reason in my opinion that goalies are so hard to completely judge.

To an extent yes, but SV% is the best stat to judge. Not perfect but should carry a hell of a lot more weight than wins.

A hall of famer should be someone special; fleury is just on the right team with extreme loyalty.

With his stats and playoff meltdowns... hall of fame is laughable to me. You can say stats don't tell the whole story, but i'd argue he's not better than his stats at all. He can be good, he can be bad, in the playoffs he sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad