Post-Game Talk: Flem

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's whatever. We had so many opportunities to get ahead/put the game away. '

We were gassed. We played like a fatigue team fumbling around.

Chytils #'s are finally averaging out. Fox hit the post. Trocheck hit another crossbar. Missed 2 wide open nets. Came out flat but Halak put together a phenomenal performance.

I know it sounds stupid but I have more confidence in Halak right now than Shesty. If this is Shestys worse, I'm OK with it.... now he needs to turn it around like Halak did.

Panarin is back. We meme about the +Friendly Russian Buff but what else could it be. He's playing like a top5 player again.

Laffy turning into Mr. Clutch? Would be a nice prelude to a monster playoffs performance.

We have been sloppy as a whole. Needs to be refined. I like the added offense but there needs to be a medium.

If Mikkola wasn't so strong the past few games, I'd be still advocating for Chychrun. Lindgren is a black hole offensively. I love his game but it doesn't change the fact a lot of offense dies on his stick.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Can you explain to me the following then:

Why is Leshitshow a better fit for the 12 man roster, in any spot, than Kravtsov is for the 12 man roster, in any spot?
He's not and I am not even a fan of Kravtsoft. At this point its a joke I have never seen an NHLer have the puck on his stick for less time in a hockey game than Jake. It has to be literally less than 10 seconds over the last 5 games. He also doesn't bring any energy. At least a Tanner Glass would skate and hit someone.
Mikkola actually looks ok at 6D so I think there is hope of not having such a weak link going into the playoffs. Please get me a competent 4th liner.

• Love
Reactions: egelband

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Why is Leshitshow a better fit for the 12 man roster, in any spot, than Kravtsov is for the 12 man roster, in any spot?
Kravtsov should be in Hartford playing first line minutes and on the PP.

Leshitshow should be in Hartford on the third line and penalty killing.

Neither player should be on a fourth line that GG wants to be a defensive unit that grinds down opposing defenseman.

Reactions: NikC and FUZfan

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford

Because the coach doesn't want that? I'm
not making lineup decisions. Gallant said Krav is a top 9 player but there isn't space.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
All Lechsychensshejej does out there is run around

Guy doesn’t score, gets his head caved in on defense, he didn’t take any face offs yesterday

May as well just dress 11
my favorite is Drury saying he has PK prowess when he's played less than 50 minutes of PK in his NHL career and has PK'd for 2 minutes in his time as a Ranger.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Woke up this morning , had my coffee and didn’t feel upset. Proud of this team, last night to get a point after a 2nd of a back to back was big.

Listen, I get things aren’t always perfect, they rarely are, but a good team when they are struggling will find ways to get wins or points. 3 out of 4 on the Alberta trip. I’ll take it.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Woke up this morning , had my coffee and didn’t feel upset. Proud of this team, last night to get a point after a 2nd of a back to back was big.

Listen, I get things aren’t always perfect, they rarely are, but a good team when they are struggling will find ways to get wins or points. 3 out of 4 on the Alberta trip. I’ll take it.

What makes it more impressive is that Calgary was desperate, a loss and they may have been introducing a new coach today.

Reactions: Leonardo87

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Because the coach doesn't want that? I'm
not making lineup decisions. Gallant said Krav is a top 9 player but there isn't space.
Yeah, coach just says s*** ... in truth he doesn't want to play Kravstov on any line.

This argument of his doesn't hold up either ... are Vesey & Goodrow "top nine players"? They get rotated on and off regularly. And is the fourth line a checking line? I don't see that, the way it's currently constructed. Gauthier is OK but he's not some A+ defensive forward. Lesch is mostly nothing at all. Goodrow can fill that role, but he's only one of three.

Seems straight forward to play your best 12 forwards, but I'm not the coach, so ...

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Takes on last night:

-Halak was outstanding after the first minute. Can't really fault him too much on either goal. Stole a point the team really had no business getting.
-Team looked tired last night. 82 game season, these kinds of games were bound to happen, they were lucky to get a point. Not only was the ice bad, they kept trying to make stick plays on bouncing pucks and that led to a lot of the rushes against. Fox had one of his worst games of the season last night. Miller wasn't far behind.
They did not attack the neutral zone with any speed last night which is why they struggled to generate offense. Despite that, and despite what was an underwhelming performance, the ridiculous number of posts and crossbars last night they could have easily won.
-Vesey's missed open net last night was pretty embarrasing. He's not a finisher, and this is the reason I don't love him in the top 9, although I'll take him on the 3rd line. Enjoyed 10-16-91 though and think that merits further exploration. That said, Vesey's miss of a wide open net is a terrible reason to demote him to the 4th line if that's what GG did. Vesey is playing as exactly who we knew he was, and on a cheap contract no less, can't blame him for not playing like a 20 goal scorer because he's not a 20 goal scorer. Putting Goodrow with 2/3 of the kid line was stupid and I'm glad GG walked that back before the end of the game.
-I'm thrilled that Alexis Lafreniere will not become the first 1OA forward since Garry Monahan who actually played in the league to not score a PP goal in his first 3 seasons. Great effort to follow up on the play and force it over the line. He had a decent game again last night, although he was a little bit less willing to carry the puck which I think when he does adds a different dimension to his game.
-Mikkola proves every day why he's a massive upgrade over Harpur. Better skater, better instincts, better strength along the wall, less of a spaz.
-Tarasenko had some good chances last night. I really want to see the team get better at creating space for him in the O zone so he can walk off the RW half wall and rip it his twisted wrister with traffic in front. He's scored a lot of goals in this league that way.
-The penalty on Miller in the 2nd period was questionable because it looked like the play was offside moments before.
-The lack of calls on Calgary for interference away from the puck were staggering. Numerous forwards were being blocked/interfered with on the forecheck pursuing the puck and they only called one of them. Horrible officiating again.
-The non call on Lucic pissed me off. That did not look like "trying to avoid" Chytil as Micheletti claimed. That looked like a career cheap shot artist scrub who had a couple of good seasons a decade ago and has somehow managed to stay in a league that has long since passed him by taking a cheapshot on a skill player because he's too much of a wuss to fight Trouba. Want to see vintage Lucic? Here you go:

What a little bitch. I'd love to see Trouba Scott Stevens his ass the next time these teams play, but Lucic doesn't control the puck enough for that to happen.
-Panarin was engaged physically again...good to see some fire from him. I liked that the refs didn't call a penalty on him in OT as both of them were going at it, and the Fox high stick was just the excalamation point on one of 23's worst games of the season.
-Jake. Leschyshyn. Is. Useless. Did he even touch the puck once last night?
-I like the changes to PP1 in personnel, but Calgary does not concede the cross ice pass so easily and it would've been nice to see them try more different looks out there. That unit really struggled to get pucks through traffic. Panarin had a few shots to rip it from the RW circle and didn't. Zibanejad could've faked the shot with a defender in the lane and gone for the net front pass to Kreider. Or tried to find Tarasenko in the middle (who can actually score from there unlike Trocheck). This unit needs to be more creative and less formulaic/set play but I like the personnel much better. Trocheck on the 2nd unit also addresses one of that unit's biggest weaknesses which is faceoffs so these changes are good for both units.

For Monday, I'd like to see:
10-16-91
13-72-24
20-93-74
12-21-26

Just to mix things up a little.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
B-but i was told Leshitshow isn't competing with Kravtsov for a roster spot

Honestly for us both Vitali and Jake should be in Hartford. Vitali has failed to earn a spot in the top 9 and he's ill suited for 4th line. Jake's main thing so far is he can take draws. That's not a lot to hang your hat on. Goodrow and Gauthier could use someone who could at least make a play once in a while. I don't think Cuylle is ready yet but he's better than both.

The main reason Vitali hasn't gone to Hartford is waivers. I strongly suspect he won't be in our organization next season. Very good likelihood he's moved at the deadline. I don't think any team would claim Leschyshyn.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Was impressed by the Flames last night- more with Sutter's system than any of their players. Too bad he's an asshole.

Did we really only get 20 shots on Markstrom through three periods and part of OT?

They didn't impress me at all. They were the rested team playing in their own barn. We had about 5 posts/crossbars and at least a couple of missed open yawning nets.....all of which didn't count for shots on goal. Markstrom was floundering a lot too. We did not have a good game but with just a bit of luck we could have won by 2/3 goals.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
They didn't impress me at all. They were the rested team playing in their own barn. We had about 5 posts/crossbars and at least a couple of missed open yawning nets.....all of which didn't count for shots on goal. Markstrom was floundering a lot too. We did not have a good game but with just a bit of luck we could have won by 2/3 goals.
To me they looked faster and better positioned. We had a hard time setting up for most of the game. They kept us to 20 shots. Maybe they were better rested and playing on their schedule as opposed to ours. I just wonder how much Xs and Os played into that performance. Gallant seemed out-coached.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Yeah, coach just says s*** ... in truth he doesn't want to play Kravstov on any line.

This argument of his doesn't hold up either ... are Vesey & Goodrow "top nine players"? They get rotated on and off regularly. And is the fourth line a checking line? I don't see that, the way it's currently constructed. Gauthier is OK but he's not some A+ defensive forward. Lesch is mostly nothing at all. Goodrow can fill that role, but he's only one of three.

Seems straight forward to play your best 12 forwards, but I'm not the coach, so ...
Gallant clearly doesn’t like Krav

when Krav went home when Gallant first got here, it was reported Gallant personally reached out to Krav to try to talk him into coming back and Krav kinda ignored him.

It’s an obviously unsubstantiated claim but I would be willing to bet a decent amount that Gallant took it personally and has led to Krav being on his bad side ever since

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
NHL is a horrible league. The officiating and scheduling is pure comedy.

No one makes you watch unless perhaps you're being held hostage in a basement somewhere, placed in fron of a TV that only plays NHL games, with your eyelids pulled open.

1676830587992.png

Panarin needs to bulk up. The guy is like a wet diaper out there. Take away time and space and he turns into one of those 5IQ dogs with their tongues stuck on the outside.

Good idea!

Let's bulk up a guy who excels because of elusiveness.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
serious question, who makes the schedule? and how has the CBA not worked something out with regards to back to backs? like I’m ok with having a back to back but the opposition should also be on a back to back as well. and make any distance traveled relatively equal. it just isn’t a quality product when one team is totally gassed like this.

Yeah, let's make the Rangers travel as much as the west coast teams, to make it more fair!

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
He isn't, Kravtsov isn't going to play on the 4th line.
I genuinely don’t understand how a player who we literally used a top 10 draft pick on is not good enough for the FOURTH LINE LOL. Somehow our coaches have this mentality that the 4th lines role is entirely different from the other 3 and that skill players can’t play there, only guys that are shit are allowed.

Their job is the same as everyone else, control play as much as possible and suppress shots/chances as much as possible. The day we roll into Carolina without a Reaves/Mckegg/Rooney/Leschyshun/Glass etc. is the day we will actually be able to outplay them in a game. Tired of watching teams like Carolina roll out a 4th line with guys like Kotkaniemi and Domi. Meanwhile we’re healthy scratching good players for the sake of this completely pointless and arbitrary concept of the 4th line that revolves around being a gritty journeyman who looks like he’s trying really hard. There is no situation ever where it is acceptable to play Reaves/Mckegg/Leschyshun over Kravtsov, those guys bring absolutely nothing to the table whatsoever unlike Krav who has been an ~80 percentile defensive player in the league this year

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
No one makes you watch unless perhaps you're being held hostage in a basement somewhere, placed in fron of a TV that only plays NHL games, with your eyelids pulled open.

View attachment 653037

Good idea!

Let's bulk up a guy who excels because of elusiveness.
I watch because I love the sport of hockey. I have a lot of problems with the way the league runs things.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Yeah, let's make the Rangers travel as much as the west coast teams, to make it more fair!
what I mean is that if the game is a back to back against, say, tampa in TB, Tampa should also have a back to back and the previous game shouldn’t have been a home game. This only applies to back to backs. I think it’s ridiculous that a team should travel on a back to back and the opposition has had a couple days rest at home.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Gallant clearly doesn’t like Krav

when Krav went home when Gallant first got here, it was reported Gallant personally reached out to Krav to try to talk him into coming back and Krav kinda ignored him.

It’s an obviously unsubstantiated claim but I would be willing to bet a decent amount that Gallant took it personally and has led to Krav being on his bad side ever since

Or, when Kravtsov did suit up he showed Gallant little reason to keep him in the lineup.

If a coach thinks a player will help his team win, he'll use him even if he hates him.

I genuinely don’t understand how a player who we literally used a top 10 draft pick on is not good enough for the FOURTH LINE LOL. Somehow our coaches have this mentality that the 4th lines role is entirely different from the other 3 and that skill players can’t play there, only guys that are shit are allowed.

You mean like Lias?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
what I mean is that if the game is a back to back against, say, tampa in TB, Tampa should also have a back to back and the previous game shouldn’t have been a home game. This only applies to back to backs. I think it’s ridiculous that a team should travel on a back to back and the opposition has had a couple days rest at home.

If every team is facing similar circumstances over the course of a season, no one is at a disadvantage, and the teams in the Rangers division have a huge edge in time spent traveling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad