GDT: Flem (8-7-1) vs Oilor (10-8-0) @ 7PM: If we lose, II is truly going to ban all of us

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
He doesn't coach to not lose.

He coaches to lose.

Tank Commander Ward
Trust me my son went through 3 years of coaches who coached not to lose. It looks a lot like the flames games where the goalies are getting shellacked and the players are tentative because instead of trying to score the first goal they are trying to prevent being scored on first

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
the guy who rolled out Bartkowski in the playoffs over Kulak? the guy who put Troy Brouwer on the same line as a 20 year old learning the center position? Uh... nah

Hartley all day every day
earlier I was going to list Hartley's idiotic lineup decisions but then I sort of realize that gulutzan either replicated or mirrored all of them of some ways. Gulutzan did take Backlund and Hamilton out of the doghouse, so at least there's that?

That being said, the entire defensive system when he was there was blocking shots. That's what made Hartley so much worse; every defensive entries by the opponents looked like a PK.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Trust me my son went through 3 years of coaches who coached not to lose. It looks a lot like the flames games where the goalies are getting shellacked and the players are tentative because instead of trying to score the first goal they are trying to prevent being scored on first

Yeah, they have not started the game trying to win for awhile now

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'm split on Ward's coaching that game. Situationally, he made do without Monahan and finally put 3M back together and they looked solid all night. And then the Oilers clogged it up once they got to the 3rd. Feels like the ice was real shitty out there as people were falling over, and the puck was bobbled all oevr the place which plays into the team with the lead. But then Bennett gets benched and it's complicated.

According to Darren Haynes, he was benched following the Haas goal where he had a lacklustre back check. I look at the play and... eh?
https://hlslive-wsczoominwestus.med.nhl.com/editor/6baaefe4-3465-4546-82be-514c03b8e5a2.mp4
He follows up the play but he doesn't put the effort in to get to the puck and lazily floats to the opposite post, but Valimaki was already cutting to Haas and it was a weak job tying up the stick from Vali that lead to the goal. But fine, if you consider that worth benching so be it.

Then you get into the 3rd period. The Oilers are clogging the neutral zone like nobodies business, the ice is shitty, and the Flames are having trouble generating speed. Ironically it felt like Froese was the most effective one at breaking in because of the simple dump and chase, but then they didn't do anything to follow up that. But Dube is working with a lot of speed, Bennett has speed and hands up the middle, and down one goal you are shooting yourself in the foot by playing sub optimal lines.

So it comes down to this, imo; Ward is considered a players coach, but in this instance he sacrifices the teams success to punish a player in a way we haven't seen in the past (other than with Dube). Even then, the benching coould have been a culmination of things (for example, he is supposed to be in the slot and not do a switch positionally in the d-zone to attack the point on the first goal) but as a head coach when the team is struggling, it feels beyond stupid to put one player being punished ahead of the needs of the team. It is ridiculous. We have 3 NHL calibre centres healthy right now, they have to have a longer leash in pivotal games since the next man up is Byron Froese.

bennett clearly checked out on that goal

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
earlier I was going to list Hartley's idiotic lineup decisions but then I sort of realize that gulutzan either replicated or mirrored all of them of some ways. Gulutzan did take Backlund and Hamilton out of the doghouse, so at least there's that?

Hartley took Backlund out of the doghouse in 2014, two and a half years before Gulutzan got there. Maybe even in the 2013 lockout year but I was about as engaged during that season as I am this season - not very.

Gulutzan messing up Bennett's upwards development trajectory should be reason enough to not think he was our best coach of the last decade.

Best flames coaches in the organization since Burke became POHO:

Hartley
Peters (pre ASB)
Cail MacLean
Troy G Ward
-
-
-
-
Glen Gulutzan (regular season)
-
-
Glen Gulutzan (postseason)
Bill Peters (post-ASB and playoffs and next season)
-
-
-
-
-
Ryan Huska
Geoff Ward

That being said, the entire defensive system when he was there was blocking shots. That's what made Hartley so much worse; every defensive entries by the opponents looked like a PK.

Hartley had bad systems, but he had an attention to detail that caused to get the most out of our systems, at least before Jonas Hiller couldn't stop a point shot. Don't forget, the year Hartley got fired, Dallas got to game 7 of the 2nd round playing the exact same systems under Lindy Ruff.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Hartley took Backlund out of the doghouse in 2014, two and a half years before Gulutzan got there. Maybe even in the 2013 lockout year but I was about as engaged during that season as I am this season - not very.

Gulutzan messing up Bennett's upwards development trajectory should be reason enough to not think he was our best coach of the last decade.

Hartley
Peters (pre ASB)
Cail MacLean
Troy G Ward
-
-
-
-
Gulutzan (regular season)
-
-
Gulutzan (postseason)
Peters (post-ASB and playoffs and next season)
-
-
-
-
-
Huska
Ward

Hartley had bad systems, but he had an attention to detail that caused to get the most out of our systems, at least before Jonas Hiller couldn't stop a point shot. Don't forget, the year Hartley got fired, Dallas got to game 7 of the 2nd round playing the exact same systems under Lindy Ruff.

How comparable are Hartley and gallant in your opinion? I've always believed they were very similar styles.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Didn't watch the game after the 1st. Wouldn't be surprised if the Bennett benching was a Treliving directive

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
How comparable are Hartley and gallant in your opinion? I've always believed they were very similar styles.

From what I've seen of Gallant, his systems are pretty nice. A good mix of strong forechecking and uptempo play.

I can't judge his line combos and such the way I would a Flames coach because I've simply never watched that from the lens of a guy rooting for either the Panthers or the VGK.

Among available coaches though, I'd be looking at Nate Leaman. He's won at every level he's coached, and while that doesn't include the AHL, I'm fine with that. I watched him coach carefully in 2015 and I was very impressed.

Last edited:

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I had hope right up until Tkachuk and Dube tried to go hero mode and just got shut down before reaching the red line on back to back plays. Showed they weren't capable of playing as a team and were going to try doing everything themselves.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015

Hartley
Peters (pre ASB)
Cail MacLean
Troy G Ward
-
-
-
-
Glen Gulutzan (regular season)
-
-
Glen Gulutzan (postseason)
Bill Peters (post-ASB and playoffs and next season)
-
-
-
-
-
Ryan Huska
Geoff Ward

Some good points there (especially Bennett) but I do want to say that Dallas team faded in the last stretch of that season and the only reason why they weren't a typical first place one-and-done choke team was because they played against one of the worst (if not the worst) playoff team of the modern era.

Backlund was also underplayed in the following year, although I'll admit that very few people actually appreciated what he could bring back then.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
There's only one coach who can save this team

61YgWppPW3L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Pickup the phone Brad.

EmeliOOOOOOOO

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Some good points there (especially Bennett) but I do want to say that Dallas team faded in the last stretch of that season and the only reason why they weren't a typical first place one-and-done choke team was because they played against one of the worst (if not the worst) playoff team of the modern era.

Backlund was also underplayed in the following year, although I'll admit that very few people actually appreciated what he could bring back then.

Because they traded for Kris Russell lol

Reactions: Dertell

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It’s clear that Ward has an issue with Bennett and Bennett has one with him. I know this much, I’d way rather have Ward leave than Bennett.

Just Flames history repeating itself.

Brian Sutter / St. Louis.
Gilbert / Savard.
Ward / Bennett

on a side note it's funny how many sutters have coahced us, I couldn't just say B. Sutter.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
It was definitely Sams man on that winning goal. I dunno if he was tired but he dog f***ed it from the blue line in and puck watched as Haas skated beside him and eventually scored.

SMHam Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad