GDT: Flem (8-7-1) vs Oilor (10-8-0) @ 7PM: If we lose, II is truly going to ban all of us

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
It’s days like these I wish I was a media member to ask Ward to justify his decision to play Froese there.

Reactions: Boomstick

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
et7R5Cy.gif

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Rittich plays lights out, defense keeps McJesus irrelevant, but our coach decides to have Froese and Lucic with 2 minutes left in the game. Had a timeout remaining at that point, so why not throw the top guys out at that point?

The guy should not be an NHL head coach.
I’d seriously love to see a member of the media question him on that and watch Ward try to defend it.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
You just wasted your shutdown McDavid and Draisaitl game. Tomorrow they’ll dominate and it will be another loss

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Can’t blame ward

he can’t fire himself...he was clueless against Dallas for everyone to see and got a full time job out of it. It’s not his fault.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I was running through the 3rd period. Ward was coaching to not lose too badly and possibly tie the game as opposed to trying to win the game. Then I thought back to the other games and it’s all the same. He doesn’t coach to win he coaches to not lose

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I was running through the 3rd period. Ward was coaching to not lose too badly and possibly tie the game as opposed to trying to win the game. Then I thought back to the other games and it’s all the same. He doesn’t coach to win he coaches to not lose

He doesn't coach to not lose.

He coaches to lose.

Tank Commander Ward

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Does anyone else not really have much emotion after that game?
Like right now I'm not really caring, tonight didn't bother me at all.
I'm usually pissed off after every loss, but this one I am just shrugging and not even caring.
I don't know. Maybe i'm just tired, I can't put my finger on it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Does anyone else not really have much emotion after that game?
Like right now I'm not really caring, tonight didn't bother me at all.
I'm usually pissed off after every loss, but this one I am just shrugging and not even caring.
I don't know. Maybe i'm just tired, I can't put my finger on it.

We all lost hope

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Rittich played great tonight. Our goalies have been pretty terrific this season. I think i can count 2 skaters that have been pretty terrific this season. But I guess with inept coaching any team would be a mess.
Treliving better not make a stupid move just to mix things up. And ya know what, I still want Bennett on this team. Just play him on the top line for the rest of the season. If it works out, hey great, if it doesn't then you make a decision in the off season. Guys like Leivo and Simon aren't a good mix with Johnny and Monahan.
This team is a mess.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I'm split on Ward's coaching that game. Situationally, he made do without Monahan and finally put 3M back together and they looked solid all night. And then the Oilers clogged it up once they got to the 3rd. Feels like the ice was real shitty out there as people were falling over, and the puck was bobbled all oevr the place which plays into the team with the lead. But then Bennett gets benched and it's complicated.

According to Darren Haynes, he was benched following the Haas goal where he had a lacklustre back check. I look at the play and... eh?
https://hlslive-wsczoominwestus.med.nhl.com/editor/6baaefe4-3465-4546-82be-514c03b8e5a2.mp4
He follows up the play but he doesn't put the effort in to get to the puck and lazily floats to the opposite post, but Valimaki was already cutting to Haas and it was a weak job tying up the stick from Vali that lead to the goal. But fine, if you consider that worth benching so be it.

Then you get into the 3rd period. The Oilers are clogging the neutral zone like nobodies business, the ice is shitty, and the Flames are having trouble generating speed. Ironically it felt like Froese was the most effective one at breaking in because of the simple dump and chase, but then they didn't do anything to follow up that. But Dube is working with a lot of speed, Bennett has speed and hands up the middle, and down one goal you are shooting yourself in the foot by playing sub optimal lines.

So it comes down to this, imo; Ward is considered a players coach, but in this instance he sacrifices the teams success to punish a player in a way we haven't seen in the past (other than with Dube). Even then, the benching coould have been a culmination of things (for example, he is supposed to be in the slot and not do a switch positionally in the d-zone to attack the point on the first goal) but as a head coach when the team is struggling, it feels beyond stupid to put one player being punished ahead of the needs of the team. It is ridiculous. We have 3 NHL calibre centres healthy right now, they have to have a longer leash in pivotal games since the next man up is Byron Froese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->