Flashback to 1999: LA Kings Acquire Ziggy Palffy from New York Islanders

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Not a problem. I'm glad to see that so many fans still appreciate Palffy. He didn't set any records or lead the Kings to a deep playoff run, but man did he ever hustle and give it his all every night. He was one of the shining stars that gave us a reason to continue to support the Kings, even when we knew deep down inside that the team probably didn't stand a chance to the stacked teams in the Western Conference.

And here's another video with two goals scored by Palffy. I remember this game quite vividly as the Kings shut the Sens out in this game.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Seeing stuff about Ziggy still hurts, that LAPD line was so awesome for like a year and 1/2. I remember them talking on NHL tonight which was the most dominant line in the NHL and it was Palffy, Allison, Deadmarsh vs. Naslund, Morrison, Bertuzzi

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Seeing stuff about Ziggy still hurts, that LAPD line was so awesome for like a year and 1/2. I remember them talking on NHL tonight which was the most dominant line in the NHL and it was Palffy, Allison, Deadmarsh vs. Naslund, Morrison, Bertuzzi

Such a shame we didn't get to see them play together longer! Palffy and Deadmarsh was two of my favorite players and they were so tough to play against and Allison was such a good passer gosh if and only if. Unfortunately this team was coached by Andy freakin Murray. I can remember time and time again Palffy got creamed and not a single player stuck up for him. One player in the past that I wished won a cup was Palffy.

Reactions: King Trouty
Jul 31, 2005
CA
Palffy was the first player the Kings had since Gretzky that put you on the edge of your seat when he had the puck. He kind of make me forget the meat and potatoes years where giant no skilled hockey players were hoarded by Kings management. Amazes me that there are 2 King fans in this thread that have issues with it, goodness gracious!

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Palffy was the first player the Kings had since Gretzky that put you on the edge of your seat when he had the puck. He kind of make me forget the meat and potatoes years where giant no skilled hockey players were hoarded by Kings management. Amazes me that there are 2 King fans in this thread that have issues with it, goodness gracious!

So you're saying that Troy Crowder didn't do it for you?

Jul 31, 2005
CA
So you're saying that Troy Crowder didn't do it for you?

The Legion Of Doom made every GM start to target big, giant hockey players-except for the Red Wings who just went Russian. The Kings seemed to target big guys with zero skill, add in the trap and clutch and grab hockey and you had a dark age if you were a King fan at the time.

Captain Mittens*

How could you forget those first month or two of the 97-98 season for "Chronic" Yannic Perrault when he had like 20 goals in the first two months (then scored like 5 goals the entire rest of the season)

During those first two months, it seemed like Chronic Yannic scored on every shot

Captain Mittens*

The Legion Of Doom made every GM start to target big, giant hockey players-except for the Red Wings who just went Russian. The Kings seemed to target big guys with zero skill, add in the trap and clutch and grab hockey and you had a dark age if you were a King fan at the time.
The era of Steve McKenna and Mark Visheau!!

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
Ziggy was such a brilliant offensive player that a lot of people forget that he developed into a very good 2-way player in his years with the Kings. I think Andy Murray gets a lot of the credit for that.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Thanks for rehashing the indignities that Milbury foist upon the Isles.

At least Palffy was traded to the Kings. That Ranger trade would have put me over the edge.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Thanks for rehashing the indignities that Milbury foist upon the Isles.

At least Palffy was traded to the Kings. That Ranger trade would have put me over the edge.

You can thank Gary Bettman for that as he was the one who prevented the Rangers trade from going through (thankfully).

As a Kings fan, I think a good majority of us were excited to finally see the team acquire someone who was considered to be a top tier, elite player. After Gretzky moved on in '96, it seemed like the Kings were trying desperately to fill that hole, as they supposedly made an attempt at Jagr at the 1997 draft, then made attempts at Pavel Bure (for a rumored package of Glen Murray, Aki Berg, and Jamie Storr) and Theo Fleury (for Yanic Perreault and a 1st was the rumor).

The Kings had also been pursuing Palffy for pretty much the entire 98-99 season as he had a contract dispute and was holding out at that time. When Palffy re-signed with the Islanders, the rumors were put to rest until the off-season where Taylor was finally able to complete the trade.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Butch Goring.

Yeah he was pretty good at those too. It's rather remarkable to me though with how much space and time Palffy created for himself when he took off on breakaways. Here's another example of him turning on the jets.

It also makes me wonder, what the hell happened to Slovakia's development program? Seems like they've really dried up in producing NHL talent.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I'll never understand why anyone would complain about a thread being started. The more topics the better. If you're not interested in the thread just don't click and read it but really no point in being rude.

And Ziggy Palffy was possibly the most entertaining player to watch that has ever played for the Kings. His deking, puck control, acceleration and top speed were such a joy to watch. I always loved this guy and I wonder what could have been if not for injuries.

Jun 30, 2006
You can thank Gary Bettman for that as he was the one who prevented the Rangers trade from going through (thankfully).

As a Kings fan, I think a good majority of us were excited to finally see the team acquire someone who was considered to be a top tier, elite player. After Gretzky moved on in '96, it seemed like the Kings were trying desperately to fill that hole, as they supposedly made an attempt at Jagr at the 1997 draft, then made attempts at Pavel Bure (for a rumored package of Glen Murray, Aki Berg, and Jamie Storr) and Theo Fleury (for Yanic Perreault and a 1st was the rumor).

The Kings had also been pursuing Palffy for pretty much the entire 98-99 season as he had a contract dispute and was holding out at that time. When Palffy re-signed with the Islanders, the rumors were put to rest until the off-season where Taylor was finally able to complete the trade.

Why was Bettman meddling in the trade talks? Rejects the Rangers proposal and also the Kings first proposal. WTF was that all about?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Why was Bettman meddling in the trade talks? Rejects the Rangers proposal and also the Kings first proposal. WTF was that all about?

Isles were rushing to jettison Ziggy, huge outrage from Isles fans. It'd be like if the Isles were trying to trade JT right now to the Rangers for 15 million (not that the CBA would allow it but..) just to pay off some debt.

Can't allow something like that.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Then of course the NHL allowed $5 million in the Jagr trade 2 years later.

Was cash involved in that trade? I thought it was a straight salary dump, and I do agree that it's a joke the league didn't veto the Jagr deal to Washington considering that they stepped in to do the same with the Palffy trade.

Here are the details of the Jagr trade to the Caps, which doesn't make mention of cash being included as part of the trade. It's also worth noting that the Kings were in on Jagr as well.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/07/11/jagr010711.html
Once dangled as trade bait, Jagr found himself in high demand with the deep-pocketed New York Rangers considered front-runners.

"I called them back," Patrick said of the Rangers. "But we were too happy with this deal.

"There was nothing they could do that would have changed our mind."

The free-spending Dallas Stars and Los Angeles Kings also expressed interest.

Now what would have been the Kings' equivalent at that time of a package of Kris Beech, Ross Lupaschuk, and Michal Sivek? Beech was a former 7th overall pick, Sivek was a 29th overall pick, and Lupaschuk was a 34th overall pick, all of them from the 1999 draft (an extremely weak draft year might I add).

I think one of the reasons why the league stepped in to block the earlier trades with the Islanders was so that they would be somewhat attractive to potential buyers. It wasn't long after the trade when Charles Wang bought the team.

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
Was cash involved in that trade? I thought it was a straight salary dump, and I do agree that it's a joke the league didn't veto the Jagr deal to Washington considering that they stepped in to do the same with the Palffy trade.

Here are the details of the Jagr trade to the Caps, which doesn't make mention of cash being included as part of the trade. It's also worth noting that the Kings were in on Jagr as well.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/07/11/jagr010711.html
http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jul/12/sports/sp-21363
The Pittsburgh Penguins completed one of the most one-sided trades in NHL history Wednesday, sending superstar winger Jaromir Jagr to the Washington Capitals for three youngsters and future considerations.

In exchange for Jagr, the league's leading scorer the last four seasons, and defenseman Frantisek Kucera, the Penguins received 20-year-olds Kris Beech, Ross Lupaschuk and Michal Sivek and about $5 million in cash.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1023020/index.htm
With Leonsis's approval, McPhee completed the stunning trade that moved the Capitals into the elite rank of Eastern Conference teams but disturbingly underscored a skewed hockey economy. Washington acquired the five-time NHL scoring champion in the prime of his career for three middling prospects and $4.9 million cash.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Found another article that sheds a bit more light on what led to the original Islanders/Rangers trade for Palffy to fall through. It was apparently over a cable TV contract.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/ziggy...les-send-palffy-to-kings-in-6-player-1.467570
The announcement ended a bizarre series of events that began last
week when the Islanders agreed to trade Palffy and Richie Pilon to the
Rangers for Niklas Sundstrom, Todd Harvey, prospect Patrick Leahy, the
No. 11 pick and $2.5 million - only to have it collapse when
Gluckstern and co-owner Eddie Milstein reportedly tried to coax funding
for a new arena from Cablevision, which owns the Rangers.

The current package to which the Kings agreed is a significant
upgrade over a previously proposed deal that included prospect Scott
Barney, rookie Jason Podollan and $2.5 million in cash instead of
Jokinen. Under the terms of that deal, the Islanders would have sent
rookie Mike Watt to the Kings.

Also found some articles written by Gann Matsuda on the old LA Kings' newsgroup!
http://files.chuqui.com/list_archives/la-kings/1999/Jun/v01.n505.txt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad