Flashback to 1999: LA Kings Acquire Ziggy Palffy from New York Islanders

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Lappy cleared the puck on the PK right into Ziggy's face in Colorado. Bang!

Yup.

I remember Fox saying something along the lines of..

"And the puck hits a Kings player on the bench... and it's Ziggy Palffy, Bob" (In sad tone)

Of all the players it could have hit on the bench, ofcourse it wasn't John Sim, Esa Pirnes, Jason Holland, John Tripp or Brad Norton. It just had to be Ziggy Palffy that got hit.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
We're fast approaching the 19th anniversary of the trade that brought Ziggy Palffy to LA.

I wonder how Olli Jokinen would have panned out had the league approved the original Kings-Islanders trade.

https://nypost.com/1999/06/17/rangers-back-in-palffy-mix-commish-vetoes-isles-kings-deal/
... the league yesterday did not approve an informally-submitted deal that would have sent Palffy, Brian Smolinski, Mike Watt and minor league goaltender Marcel Cousineau to the Kings for B-level prospects Mathieu Biron, Scott Barney and Josh Green, minor league forward Jason Podollan, and the eighth overall pick in the June 26 Entry Draft.

Which means that the Rangers, who believed they had struck a deal for Palffy last weekend, are not only back in the mix, but are again in reasonably good position to acquire the sniper, though it is unknown how quickly the process will move.

And while management now waits for the Islanders’ next step in what has become an unpredictable and embarrassing chain of events, Todd Harvey and Niklas Sundstrom remain in limbo. Sundstrom, according to those who have spoken with him since last weekend, is devastated by the news of his potential move to Long Island.

Sources have told The Post that Mike Milbury yesterday spoke with Neil Smith in an attempt to get the Ranger GM to bolster the package for Palffy, now that cash has been taken off the table. Smith, stunned that the Islanders presented an obviously inferior L.A. deal to the league for approval, is steadfastly refusing to add any components to the package that includes Harvey, Sundstrom, a minor leaguer and the 11th overall pick in the draft.

Milbury as well has re-opened talks with the Kings, and is attempting to convince Dave Taylor to substitute Oli Jokinen, an elite prospect, for one of the aforementioned youngsters. Taylor until now, at least, had refused to include the center in a deal for Palffy.

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Ahhh, good old Jason Podollan. :laugh:

The article mentioning Mathieu Biron as a ‘B’ prospect was being generous.

Thanks for taking us back in time Ziggy.

200w.gif

Love looking back at old trades to see how they ended up working out.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I guess Justin Papineau and Scott Barney weren't sufficient as well.

The one highlight of Jason Podollan's stint with the Kings was seeing him get pummeled by Jamal Mayers in the last regular season game played at The Great Western Forum.

Trading Yanic Perreault for him was such a disappointment.

Reactions: King Trouty

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I guess Justin Papineau and Scott Barney weren't sufficient as well.

The one highlight of Jason Podollan's stint with the Kings was seeing him get pummeled by Jamal Mayers in the last regular season game played at The Great Western Forum.

Trading Yanic Perreault for him was such a disappointment.

He also got destroyed by Jim McKenzie in the last game ever played at GWF. Captured by yours truly with the shaky camcorder work.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
He also got destroyed by Jim McKenzie in the last game ever played at GWF. Captured by yours truly with the shaky camcorder work.

Ha, that's awesome, I always wished video of that brawl existed. I was at the game as well, it was awesome. The only time in his career that Aki Berg heard chants of "Aki, Aki, Aki" after his hit on Teemu Selanne triggered both teams to brawl.

It was quite the way to close out The Forum. They also rolled back prices for that game. A friend of ours decided to take home a souvenir with him, an arm rest from those nacho colored seats.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I snuck a camcorder in under a sweatshirt. Pre 9-11 so no metal detectors. I was a few weeks away from 19 so I didn't get up too many games at that point; had to jump on the roll-back-the-clock pricing.

I don't know how the clip eventually made its way to the YT uploader. Used to trade fight tapes back then and got a ton of tapes for just the footage of this game since it was untelevised. Doubt he received it directly from me so it is a copy of a copy of a copy at best. I had a $300--in 1999 money--SVHS JVC that I got just for making the Kings fight tapes so my original copy of this is better quality as far as the graininess goes. Still shaky as shit though. That was operator error.

Speaking of Palffy, Grimson went after him a bit to make up for Berg injuring Selanne and then he tried to get a piece of Blake. Real poweder keg of a game and one of the more memorable games I've ever been too. The Aki chants and McKenna dominating a fight were two things I never thought I'd ever see in person. The probability of both happening in the same game had to be astronomical.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yup.

I remember Fox saying something along the lines of..

"And the puck hits a Kings player on the bench... and it's Ziggy Palffy, Bob" (In sad tone)

Of all the players it could have hit on the bench, ofcourse it wasn't John Sim, Esa Pirnes, Jason Holland, John Tripp or Brad Norton. It just had to be Ziggy Palffy that got hit.
If only it was Esa Pirnes. It was an adventure every time Bob had to say, "Pirnes".

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
It was 14 years ago today, June 20, 1999, where the Kings were finally able to acquire the superstar winger they had been coveting for years. After having failed to acquire Pavel Bure, then Theo Fleury during the 1998-99 season, the Kings aggressively pursued Islanders holdout Zigmund Palffy.

Initially, the Islanders had dealt Palffy to the Rangers in what was perceived to be a cash transaction. This was not permitted in the NHL and Bettman ended up vetoing the trade. The league also vetoed the initial Palffy trade to Los Angeles as it appeared to be a cost cutting trade for the Islanders.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/item_6rWclVX04dP9zLYCOhoPnI

Palffy's trade to Los Angeles was finally completed and accepted by the NHL once Olli Jokinen was included as part of the package going to Long Island.

King Price Finally Is Right for Palffy

Although Palffy's tenure with the Kings lasted for only five seasons, he was one of the most exciting players to don a Kings uniform.

Imagine having a winger like Palffy in his prime playing with a center like Kopitar or Richards. Adding a gamebreaking forward like that to the offense would propel the Kings scoring to the upper ranks of the NHL. Here's to you Ziggy!

Damn, didn't know about the veto. Did Ranger fans hold a grudge against the league for a long time like Laker fans have against the NBA since 2011?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Damn, didn't know about the veto. Did Ranger fans hold a grudge against the league for a long time like Laker fans have against the NBA since 2011?

Which I always find funny when you consider what happened in the 2002 playoffs, the single most blatant display of cheating/fixing that any of us have probably ever seen in our lifetime. But yeah the league is biased against them.

Reactions: BigKing

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
I snuck a camcorder in under a sweatshirt. Pre 9-11 so no metal detectors. I was a few weeks away from 19 so I didn't get up too many games at that point; had to jump on the roll-back-the-clock pricing.

I don't know how the clip eventually made its way to the YT uploader. Used to trade fight tapes back then and got a ton of tapes for just the footage of this game since it was untelevised. Doubt he received it directly from me so it is a copy of a copy of a copy at best. I had a $300--in 1999 money--SVHS JVC that I got just for making the Kings fight tapes so my original copy of this is better quality as far as the graininess goes. Still shaky as **** though. That was operator error.

Speaking of Palffy, Grimson went after him a bit to make up for Berg injuring Selanne and then he tried to get a piece of Blake. Real poweder keg of a game and one of the more memorable games I've ever been too. The Aki chants and McKenna dominating a fight were two things I never thought I'd ever see in person. The probability of both happening in the same game had to be astronomical.

That was the way to close out on that old building lol , my son was fourteen at the time and we snuck down to the Senate seats after the first period and tasted a little of the good life when the usher came over and took our order for food and drink , when he came back he not only served us buy even took the wrapping off the straw LMAO ahh the good life , we have seen more playoff wins then any of us ever thought possible, three western conf finals , and two Cups won at home in front of us and that game still comes up as one of our favorites ,man I love kings hockey and shared memories with you guys here and with the kid

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
That was the way to close out on that old building lol , my son was fourteen at the time and we snuck down to the Senate seats after the first period and tasted a little of the good life when the usher came over and took our order for food and drink , when he came back he not only served us buy even took the wrapping off the straw LMAO ahh the good life , we have seen more playoff wins then any of us ever thought possible, three western conf finals , and two Cups won at home in front of us and that game still comes up as one of our favorites ,man I love kings hockey and shared memories with you guys here and with the kid
Anyone have a box score for that game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad