Flashback to 1999: LA Kings Acquire Ziggy Palffy from New York Islanders

ziggyfan

Oct 7, 2011
Loved Palffy. First jersey I bought.

Me too. My first jersey was Palffy and to this date, I always wear his jersey to opening night every year. The most naturally talented player I have ever seen. My dog is named Ziggy too.

My very favorite player until....Kopitar.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Crazy to think that Palffy was still playing professional hockey as recent as last season! But yeah, that Palffy, Armstrong and Rasmussen line was awesome to watch!

what's crazy to is that when he left the NHL and the Pens it was in the middle of a season where he was getting more than a point per game.
That season in Pittsburgh had my favorite hockey player as a kid in Mario come back and play with my favorite king not named luc.
for one season I was also a Pens fan.....they sucked that year

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I was disappointed when he went to Pitt. Didn't Demitra just sign? I was looking forward to the duo.

Ziggy was the main draw that got me through those rough years.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I was disappointed when he went to Pitt. Didn't Demitra just sign? I was looking forward to the duo.

Ziggy was the main draw that got me through those rough years.

Yep, Kings had added Demitra and Conroy and I think they still tried to get Palffy back as well before he went to Pittsburgh.

Sadly he never recovered completely from his shoulder problems. Piece of **** Todd Simpson...

Reactions: King Trouty

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I'm a Ducks fan, but I fondly remember Ziggy Palfy's tenure with LA. Made his presence felt every time he was on the ice.

He was money with you guys.

Jason Allison, Deadmarsh, and Palfy...quite the trio.

Captain Mittens*

I'm a Ducks fan, but I fondly remember Ziggy Palfy's tenure with LA. Made his presence felt every time he was on the ice.

He was money with you guys.

Jason Allison, Deadmarsh, and Palfy...quite the trio.

Yeah too bad the JAZ/LAPD line had such a short run. They could have really done some damage

Jul 31, 2005
CA
How right you are. That guarantee and promise to deliver a supposed top line winger in 2003 never came, unless you consider Trent Klatt that top line winger. And I liked Klatt and what he brought to the team, but passing him off as a top six player? The writing was on the wall that this was a budget team scraping to ice a hockey team.

The opening night roster for the 2003-04 season, the one which Leiweke guaranteed full refunds for dissatisfied customers:

Frolov-Stumpel-Palffy
Robitaille-Armstrong-Klatt
Avery-Belanger-Laperriere
Brennan-Pirnes-Brown

Modry-Visnovsky
Norstrom-Corvo
Gleason-Holland

Cechmanek
Huet

What a lineup eh? The Kings would wind up using 42 different skaters on the roster that season. And some empty promises about Allison and Deadmarsh being close to returning.

The Kings had 3 great 3rd line centers in Stumpel, Armstrong and Belanger, the problem is you only need one. That was always my biggest beef with Dave Taylor, he pushed guys up the depth chart due to lack of talent rather than what Lombardi does in pushing guys down the roster or off the damn team if you don't produce. The Kings were notorious for being the end of the line for hockey careers, guys would be hailed as a top 6er then a season later out of the NHL entirely.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
The Kings had 3 great 3rd line centers in Stumpel, Armstrong and Belanger, the problem is you only need one. That was always my biggest beef with Dave Taylor, he pushed guys up the depth chart due to lack of talent rather than what Lombardi does in pushing guys down the roster or off the damn team if you don't produce. The Kings were notorious for being the end of the line for hockey careers, guys would be hailed as a top 6er then a season later out of the NHL entirely.

Ronning, Carter, Parrish. Stop gaps that sucked.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Jul 31, 2005
CA
IIRC, Anson Carter has stated publicly the Kings traded for him with the knowledge he had a hernia at that time. I believe Straka was traded for with a broken foot as well, so there was a serious issue with Taylor and the doctors. As for Palffy, he was the first Kings player they had since Gretzky that got you to sit on the edge of your seat when you watched a game. The big goofs Taylor always seemed to go after were boring, slow hockey players that led us deep into the black hole.

Captain Mittens*

IIRC, Anson Carter has stated publicly the Kings traded for him with the knowledge he had a hernia at that time. I believe Straka was traded for with a broken foot as well, so there was a serious issue with Taylor and the doctors. As for Palffy, he was the first Kings player they had since Gretzky that got you to sit on the edge of your seat when you watched a game. The big goofs Taylor always seemed to go after were boring, slow hockey players that led us deep into the black hole.
Anson also stated that he publicly he McPhee and Taylor know that he didn't want to be traded and wanted to have surgery on that hernia. ****ing Taylor...

Straka had one bad knee and tore the meniscus in the other knee shortly after the trade.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Dave Taylor (or Tim Leiweke) was just listening to the fans who were chanting for "Carter, Carter, Carter" at the 2003 draft party.

And they weren't chanting that towards drafting Jeff Carter.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

I think the fact we had 500+ man games lost for like 3 straight years was pretty telling of that already.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think the fact we had 500+ man games lost for like 3 straight years was pretty telling of that already.

Poor Pete Demers had his hands full.

demers-lappy.jpg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Palffy being traded to the Kings was the moment I took interest in the Kings, as he was one of my favorite players.

I felt, at the time (after the run-ins with the Avalanche), the Kings were ready to break into that scene with the Avalanche, Red Wings and Stars, but then Allison got hurt, and so did everyone else. There was a freak indicent where Palffy took a puck to the face and got a concussion, I think.

The Slap Shop

Shop Like a King
Dec 23, 2002
Visit site
Palffy being traded to the Kings was the moment I took interest in the Kings, as he was one of my favorite players.

I felt, at the time (after the run-ins with the Avalanche), the Kings were ready to break into that scene with the Avalanche, Red Wings and Stars, but then Allison got hurt, and so did everyone else. There was a freak indicent where Palffy took a puck to the face and got a concussion, I think.

Lappy cleared the puck on the PK right into Ziggy's face in Colorado. Bang!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->