GDT: Flams (34-14-5) vs Shorks (31-16-7) - Feb 7 | 7PM MST | SNET-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Another Johnny turnover. Please give him some time to think on the bench. Led to the first and second goal.

tarapoto2006

Mar 2, 2018
Recency bias.

If Smith had started and let those two exact goals in, people's heads would have exploded if he wasn't pulled.

Recency bias? Haha...sure. Smith has been giving up shitty goals at shitty times for almost a year now. That's not recency bias, it's become more of a habit. Rittich isn't well known for doing this, and he doesn't completely implode like Smith when he gives up a bad goal. Although, I will admit Smith has been better lately at rebounding from bad goals, but I still think Rittich should have stayed in. And I guarantee it wouldn't be 3-1 if they had left him in. Seriously, who ever heard of pulling a goalie when it's 2-1?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Recency bias? Haha...sure. Smith has been giving up ****ty goals at ****ty times for almost a year now. That's not recency bias, it's become more of a habit. Rittich isn't well known for doing this, and he doesn't completely implode like Smith when he gives up a bad goal. Although, I will admit Smith has been better lately at rebounding from bad goals, but I still think Rittich should have stayed in. And I guarantee it wouldn't be 3-1 if they had left him in.

People need to defend him still. Gave up a goal anyway, and he's been shit all year. Was given way too much leash, and he's given that again because he's a veteran.

Reactions: tarapoto2006

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Am I the only one who thought Rittich was screened by his D on the first goal? And the second goal was a breakaway? And the goal on Smith was a tip?
I think it wasn't a screen so much as an unpredictable release point. The puck was hidden from Rittich while Kane was shielding from Andersson, so he had to pick up the puck quickly when Kane spun. All that aside, though, that's a puck being slid along the ice from the top of the circle without any bodies in the way. It's disappointing for that to go in. I don't blame Rittich that much for the second goal where Burns made a great play but that first one was as bad as we've seen this year.

For what it's worth, I don't think people are blaming Rittich for coming out, but given he won the race to the puck, you wish he could have found a hold to fire the puck through.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
On the upside, I have more confidence that this team can rebound from this deficit than I have with any other Flames team I've ever watched.

On the downside, what the f***

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Johnny needs to start showing up. Has been invisible since coming back from the break, and he's been godawful today.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Recency bias? Haha...sure. Smith has been giving up ****ty goals at ****ty times for almost a year now. That's not recency bias, it's become more of a habit. Rittich isn't well known for doing this, and he doesn't completely implode like Smith when he gives up a bad goal. Although, I will admit Smith has been better lately at rebounding from bad goals, but I still think Rittich should have stayed in. And I guarantee it wouldn't be 3-1 if they had left him in. Seriously, who ever heard of pulling a goalie when it's 2-1?
We can't guarantee anything. All three goals were preventable and the goaltending change was entirely an attempt to send a message to the team, as much as anything.

It's entirely possible Rittich goes back in for the start of the 2nd, too.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I'd bet dollars to donuts team would be more confident they can pull off a comeback with Rittich in net.

One more softie from good ol veteran Smitty and its over.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
We can't guarantee anything. All three goals were preventable and the goaltending change was entirely an attempt to send a message to the team, as much as anything.

Smith gave up that third goal.... lol.

Don't get me wrong, Rittich has shit the bed so far. But why the f*** pull him after 2? Same thing happened when we played Columbus, he has a way shorter leash in net.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
You bench players when they f-up huge. It's a tool coaches use for bad habits. Peters is training Rittich for his career and that's bigger than one game. Think about what's going through Rittich's head right now. How Rittich responds is more important than one game.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

I don't think there's any chance this happens.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Smith gave up that third goal.... lol.

Don't get me wrong, Rittich has **** the bed so far. But why the **** pull him after 2? Same thing happened when we played Columbus, he has a way shorter leash in net.
At the risk of repeating myself... the goaltending change was entirely an attempt to send a message to the team, as much as anything

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Game where Hertls line is owing their asses and we cant get out of the zone cleanly or get a cycle going.

Game where the first line has done squat so far
Up to the point of the goals, the Flames were absolutely our playing the Sharks. The Hertl line had the one shift that hemmed us in and that’s it to that point.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
At the risk of repeating myself... the goaltending change was entirely an attempt to send a message to the team, as much as anything
I'm not sure that's true in this case, to be honest. Those two goals were goals that Rittich would feel personally responsible for, and the flow of play was in the Flames' favour at that point. I think this was Peters deciding that Rittich's focus wasn't there tonight, and swapping before things got any worse. And who knows? Maybe Rittich had shown Peters something pre-game that had him worried already. :dunno:

Reactions: Mobiandi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad