TSN: Flames will need to go 22-11 to make the playoffs (.666 hockey)

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
On the bright side.. If there ever was a season where we could bottom out quickly, grab a young impact player and recover, it's this one.. If that means trading Iggy than so be it. He deserves a cup..

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
this couldn't be put in the game topic? this isn't exactly news. the Flames suck and we all know it

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I can't see the Flames getting 22 wins in 33 games.

But I could see them going on a hot streak and losing with 5pts out of a playoff spot :laugh:

meenamjah

Apr 8, 2012
I can't see the Flames getting 22 wins in 33 games.

But I could see them going on a hot streak and losing with 5pts out of a playoff spot :laugh:

It's like watching groundhog day. year after year. finish 9th, no playoffs, no high picks, iggy and kipper a year older and losing trade value.

Anyone have any idea what Iggy would have fetched a couple years ago after the 43 goal season? Kipper would have brought back almost as much as well, I imagine.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
None of the healthy goalies in the system are good enough to steal games at the moment. Irving has the potential to do so, but it's not like the team can afford to wait him to get there, if he ever does.

But yeah, playoffs aren't happening this season. The only question now is do the Flames keep going for it regardless or do they finally engage in some real intellectual honesty and start looking to move some pieces out.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
There's just no way I see this team pulling it off. Especially since Kipper is still out for a couple weeks or two. I guess all we have to look forward to is Sven and Backs coming back (Brodie's been great too). Barring a trade or a frickin miracle, this team will not make it in the post season. Had it been a full season, I would predict us to turn it around and finish 9th.. since we're already approaching the half-way mark im going to go ahead and predict us around the 13th-12th spot in the West (maybe lower depending on the severity of Kipper's injury).

I hate to watch this team lose.. But we need to realize enough is enough. Changes need to be made, i've been supporting ownership to keep Iggy for these past 3 years but im done.. He needs to be traded, and if he doesn't get traded he needs to walk in the summer. The guy is a legend in this organization and him sticking around will only make the fans more bitter. Iginla = No Rebuild.. Its sad but its true.. Iggy and the fans need to move on. We need to ship him to a contender and I want him to win a Stanley cup (he deserves it, after eveything he's done for this organization). He doesn't owe us anymore, this is the year to move on. And who knows, if we rebuild quickly he can come back and finish his career in Calgary. But right now im simply fed up of being a 9th place team. Its either go all in or blow it up.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No post season this year again. I don't wanna see Feaster panic, but we need to be realistic here, Iggy needs to go along with one other main piece to get some good young assets. I would trade Iggy and Gio, and that is all. Tanguay I would also consider moving if the price was right.

If we moved Iggy, Gio and maybe Tangs, we could still ice a competitive roster while gaining some great young pieces. We would also free up a whole lot of cap space which would allow us to fill one or two holes through FA. I don't wanna blow it all up because I don't think it is necessary, but fundamental change is needed.

Move Iggy for Morrow and a 1st and Gio in a deal for ROR.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Well I pulled this from Calgary Puck, apparently this is what Ken King said about Iginla recently:
"We didn't invest 80 Million dollars in Iginla to send him off to another team to win there", He also mentioned that they don't owe it to Iginla to have him go win somewhere else [Edit: The tone here seemed directed at fan sentiment, and not anything about dealings between the club and Iginla], he should be here to help us win. Would like to see Iginla be a first ballot hall of famer (and I think the inference was that he play his entire career here).

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Where did King say that, not saying its untrue but I'm curious?

If that is indeed the mentality then King should be fired. Losing Iginla potentially in FA for nothing would be disastrous for the Flames and the fans would be up in arms. If the Flames cannot resign Iggy and he wants to leave next year then they better dam well move him for some assets.

Gary83*

Where did King say that, not saying its untrue but I'm curious?

If that is indeed the mentality then King should be fired. Losing Iginla potentially in FA for nothing would be disastrous for the Flames and the fans would be up in arms. If the Flames cannot resign Iggy and he wants to leave next year then they better dam well move him for some assets.

Do you realize how much money Ken King has probably made for Edwards and others?

His job stems so much further beyond being president of the Flames. This isn't me disagreeing with you, but as I stated in the main thread I feel that Calgary's #1 priority is making money (obviously not foolish) as opposed to building a cup contending team. That is a crappy outlook for the fans and granted, it's just my personal opinion, but the Calgary Flames have yet to give me any other reason to change that opinion.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I am thankful though, that we sucked early instead of having the bottom fall out at the 30 game mark. This way, we are forced to be intellectually honest and accept we wont be making the playoffs. The required quality of play is just too high to catch up now.

Now we have lots of time to think about who to move, and where for what.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I don't think it's any of Ken King's business as to who is selected to be a Calgary Flame on any given night, unless he wants to manage the hockey operations (assuming that quote is real). And to argue that Iginla was an investment is to argue any player as an investment. Why wasn't Bourque a 20 million dollar investment?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Well I pulled this from Calgary Puck, apparently this is what Ken King said about Iginla recently:
"We didn't invest 80 Million dollars in Iginla to send him off to another team to win there", He also mentioned that they don't owe it to Iginla to have him go win somewhere else [Edit: The tone here seemed directed at fan sentiment, and not anything about dealings between the club and Iginla], he should be here to help us win. Would like to see Iginla be a first ballot hall of famer (and I think the inference was that he play his entire career here).
Remember that King is an expert at talking out of both sides of his mouth.

Of course they didn't invest $80 million for him to win somewhere else and want him to help the Flames win. This tells me at least one thing - he's not going to walk away at UFA for nothing, and that by the deadline if there's no agreement on a contact extension Iginla is as good as gone.

Do you realize how much money Ken King has probably made for Edwards and others?

His job stems so much further beyond being president of the Flames. This isn't me disagreeing with you, but as I stated in the main thread I feel that Calgary's #1 priority is making money (obviously not foolish) as opposed to building a cup contending team. That is a crappy outlook for the fans and granted, it's just my personal opinion, but the Calgary Flames have yet to give me any other reason to change that opinion.
Missing the playoffs year after year will start to drive the fans away, and the team will start losing significant money again. Prior to the "young guns" era, it took six first round exits and another 3-4 years of missing the playoffs before this team got into serious trouble with a disinterested fan base. Guess what? We're almost there now. I suspect that the waiting list for season tickets is starting to get shorter. I know the casual Flames fan (between the lockout and underwhelming performances) doesn't care anymore.

If ownership cares about making money, they need to be concerned about having a competitive team.

Or maybe this is the "blow it up" rebuild that everyone's been clamouring for? Lose a bunch of games, but under the guise of "being competitive" under the watch of Feaster & Hartley (aka: the scapegoats)

Last edited:

TylerSVT*

Lets hope they actually go 11-22 so the madness can finally stop. We need a good pick this year.

What is likely going to happen:

Flames continue to toil along until Kipper gets back, they will be a 14th place team in the west. Once Kipper returns the team will go on a bit of a winning streak bringing them back up at 10th place, trade deadline passes and the Flames hold tight because they think they have a chance. Season ends, we are 4-5 points out of it, draft 10th-13th overall, get a marginal prospect, Management tries to "sell" fans on the idea that "if we had Kipper we would have made the post season"

Roll credits.

TLDR: Flames will do what they always do.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Lets hope they actually go 11-22 so the madness can finally stop. We need a good pick this year.

Flames continue to toil along until Kipper gets back, they will be a 14th place team in the west. Once Kipper returns the team will go on a bit of a winning streak bringing them back up at 10th place, trade deadline passes and the Flames hold tight because they think they have a chance. Season ends, we are 4-5 points out of it, draft 10th-13th overall, get a marginal prospect, Management tries to "sell" fans on the idea that "if we had Kipper we would have made the post season"

Roll credits.

my gut feeling is that this is what will happen, unfortunately. I almost (almost) hope Kipper comes back and sucks so we have no choice but to move on.

Its Kipper though so he will have 10 Shutouts in a row and we will end up in 10th with 10 games to go, none of which we will win. Woohoo! GFG.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I don't think it's any of Ken King's business as to who is selected to be a Calgary Flame on any given night, unless he wants to manage the hockey operations (assuming that quote is real). And to argue that Iginla was an investment is to argue any player as an investment. Why wasn't Bourque a 20 million dollar investment?

I think ownership is slowly going to realize soon enough that they need to change their ways. Its most likely that we will miss the playoffs this season for the 4th time.. They can't be that blind. 4 years... Its no fluke anymore, the team simply doesn't have what it takes to make the playoffs. They have to be considering their options now.. they have to, they need to realize that they won't keep their fan base anymore if they are finishing 9th -10th place every season.

Roll credits.

Seems legit.. I guess our only hope is that Kipper's injury drags on a couple more weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad