GDT: Flames vs Sharks - 7:00 PM MST - Calgary

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Nice comeback after the first. Hanifin, Andersson, Kylington especially stood out to me. Gaudreau and Mony as well racking up the points this game. Nice. I like it a lot.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Has Gillies even had to make a save in the third period?

Not many.
I'll take his .909 performance over Rittich's .778

Really both goalies don't inspire much confidence in me. Both have had one dog shit game, one good game... now Ritter's back in the dog shit pile and Gillies got an okay game.

Rasmus Andersson looked really f***ing good tonight. If he can't make this team, I'm really not sure. Kulak nor Stone should be in over him. I know it's their job to lose, but they've done their best looking like crap out there combined.

Prout looked like dog shit. Kylington needs another year in the AHL. Kulak and Stone have been underwhelming in every preseason game we've seen.

The top two lines played pretty casual tonight, still were easily top talent out there. Benny had a strong showing... really wish they'd give him someone other than Jankowski for a game... but hey. What can you do?

Reactions: super6646

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Not many.
I'll take his .909 performance over Rittich's .778

Really both goalies don't inspire much confidence in me. Both have had one dog **** game, one good game... now Ritter's back in the dog **** pile and Gillies got an okay game.

Rasmus Andersson looked really ****ing good tonight. If he can't make this team, I'm really not sure. Kulak nor Stone should be in over him. I know it's their job to lose, but they've done their best looking like crap out there combined.

Prout looked like dog ****. Kylington needs another year in the AHL. Kulak and Stone have been underwhelming in every preseason game we've seen.

The top two lines played pretty casual tonight, still were easily top talent out there. Benny had a strong showing... really wish they'd give him someone other than Jankowski for a game... but hey. What can you do?

This. Also think Smith should get some starts to shake some rust off.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I thought Phillips had a good outing

Interesting little player. That Gawdin/Phillips line, I think, will be really strong in the AHL this year together. Hasn't shown much in camp, but he strikes me as a guy who could get a lot of use out of 2-3 years in the AHL.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This. Also think Smith should get some starts to shake some rust off.

He'll for sure play on Saturday.
Not sure who'll get the start on Thursday. I'm really uncomfortable with this goalie situation in Calgary. We're a Smith injury for like .900 goaltending and another wasted season.

At least we didn't give away our first this year if that's the case. #Hughes

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Interesting little player. That Gawdin/Phillips line, I think, will be really strong in the AHL this year together. Hasn't shown much in camp, but he strikes me as a guy who could get a lot of use out of 2-3 years in the AHL.

Put those two on a line with Buddy. Would be hilarious to watch.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm pretty sure that last year's team would have folded like a cheap suit going into the 2nd period down 4-1
Nice comeback by the Flames. Peters must have peeled the paint off the dressing room walls during the first intermission.
The teams play after the first was like night and day.
Good to see Gaudreau and Monahan in mid season form. Not sure whats going on with Neal.
Chucky's going to score at least 60 pts for sure this year. Book it.
If Andersson isn't on the roster come Oct 3 there's something rotten in Denmark.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Put those two on a line with Buddy. Would be hilarious to watch.

I do think this is the best AHL team we will dress in a very long time.
With at least one of Mangi/Dube and likely Valimaki. Along with a bunch of other incoming youth and some decent AHL depth (Buddy, Quine, etc)... Really think they'll be an interesting team. Along with perhaps a guy like Brett Kulak as well.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I'm pretty sure that last year's team would have folded like a cheap suit going into the 2nd period down 4-1
Nice comeback by the Flames. Peters must have peeled the paint off the dressing room walls during the first intermission.
The teams play after the first was like night and day.
Good to see Gaudreau and Monahan in mid season form. Not sure whats going on with Neal.
Chucky's going to score at least 60 pts for sure this year. Book it.
If Andersson isn't on the roster come Oct 3 there's something rotten in Denmark.

I just don't see the chemistry with Neal on that top line. Hope he can play well with Chucky and Backlund because he is getting paid.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Went to this one. Really my only take aways were that Andersson is better than Kulak and Stone, and that Gaudreau is really good. Neal had some nice feeds but looked mostly disinterested. Phillips I liked quite a bit too, and please go ahead and cut Lazar.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Whats the status of Bennett's GWG goal? Is it a real one or a fake one?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I just don't see the chemistry with Neal on that top line. Hope he can play well with Chucky and Backlund because he is getting paid.
I think Neal deserves to be cut a little slack. He's playing with a twosome that's been together for 5 years and fit like peanut butter and jam.
It might take more than a couple of games to develop chemistry.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Whats the status of Bennett's GWG goal? Is it a real one or a fake one?

To be an actual fake GWG, you have to score in the 1st or 2nd period while already up by two+ goals, only for the team/goalie to cough up two+ soft or poorly defended late goals ,allowing you to add a gwg to your stat line. For added measure, you're actually responsible for one of those coughed up goals.

However, Bennett's not-fake gwg doesn't count because it is preseason.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Tbh, I think Neal is saving himself for the last game of preseason. Don't think he cares all that much right now, but he's a gamer. Mike Smith wouldn't have vouched for him if he wasn't

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
This thread is hilarious. It's like a cheat code for a video game. down UP! down down UP! down UP! select. Happy with the resolve.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I think Neal deserves to be cut a little slack. He's playing with a twosome that's been together for 5 years and fit like peanut butter and jam.
It might take more than a couple of games to develop chemistry.
Neal will be fine. There is likely no hungrier Flame for a drink out of Stanley's cup.

That said I like the first line with Lindholm. Was kind of hoping for a Czarnik or Dube preview with Mony and Johnny but it is not that big of a deal.

First the bad.

Rittich was a train wreck again. He is not getting himself set for shots and looks poorly prepared. Yes the defense was abysmal but how can he not stop a couple of those goals..He has had no fight back after a bad goal. Gillies is definitely outperforming Rittich. Gillies may have won the title of back-up tonight.
Stone looks slow and is not seeing the ice at all well. He is constantly floundering with his arms and legs everywhere. Kylington was not horrible but to this point Valimaki impresses me more.

Prout has not done enough to even hold the seventh D-man slot.

To me Kulak is pretty much the same Kulak from last year. Nothing special about him and I would not be surprised if Peters and Tre decided to give his spot to someone else.

How does Lazar miss that tap in???

The good.

Gawdin has been one of the most consistent players in the line-up night in night out. He is making smart defensive reads and is controlling play no matter who he has as line-mates. If this were last year he might have been able to crack the line-up.

Monahan's wrist-shots are a thing of beauty again. He and Johnny appear to be ready for the season to start no matter who they are slotted with. How about Johnny sucking Dell out of his shorts.

Bennett scored. Here is hoping he can build on that. Frolik is finding his grove and though 20 goals are likely his absolute ceiling he is an amazing possession player.

Czarnik is playing with a chip on his shoulders determined to prove he is an NHLer. I mean who makes that empty net goal in the preseason. He is hungry and that is amazingly good for the Flames.

Andersson keeps showing he deserves that slot in the line-up. He has been very consistent thus far. He is way way way better than Stone to this point.

I was surprised to see Chucky used after he swallowed his testicles after that shot to the nuts.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Who can seriously vote for Rittich to be a Flames goalie? He looks bad against minor leaguers

If preseason meant anything, Kulak lost his job. I wouldnt be surprised if he is waived considering what happened over the summer.

Jankowski is working his hardest to become a full time 4th liner/bench warmer......1st line center. LMAO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad