GDT: Flames vs Sharks - 7:00 PM MST - Calgary

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Have missed the last few games because of work, but how nice it is to have an offense that isn't utterly anemic. Pretty hyped when I got to check the boxscore and see goals from throughout the lineup.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Have missed the last few games because of work, but how nice it is to have an offense that isn't utterly anemic. Pretty hyped when I got to check the boxscore and see goals from throughout the lineup.

Depends how you look at it though, we've played pretty much only AHL defences most games.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I'm not a Rittich fan by any means, but tonight was hardly his fault.
I feel like that's the summary of his preseason so far though.

"It's not his fault but..."

Parsons, Glass and Gillies have all been thrust into similar situations and all three have out performed Rittich. If it was just a bad outing that would be one thing but IMO Rittich mechanically is a mess. He isn't getting set before the shots are fired. His positioning is suspect and he just doesn't look comfortable to this point in training camp. Being sent down to the Heat would be the best thing for him until he finds his game. It is really doubtful he would be claimed off waivers.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Just have to say it again, Czarnik is a beast. He's had a flat out impressive preseason. Honestly, he's playing and looking how I've hoped Bennett would at this point.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Just have to say it again, Czarnik is a beast. He's had a flat out impressive preseason. Honestly, he's playing and looking how I've hoped Bennett would at this point.

Yeah I missed the third period unfortunately, and when I saw he got an empty net goal I thought "oh just padding those stats with the easy stuff" and then I watched the highlights. He hustled his ass off for that.

Reactions: tmurfin

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Yeah I missed the third period unfortunately, and when I saw he got an empty net goal I thought "oh just padding those stats with the easy stuff" and then I watched the highlights. He hustled his ass off for that.
I'm definitely going to miss Ferland, but if Czarnik keeps it up, he'll replace most of what Ferly brought to the table.

Quick note on Kylington, he definitely needs another year in the A. He looked decent with the puck, but without he looked very passive and seemed to just float trying to look busy, I focused solely on him a few shifts and at times it seemed like he didn't know where he should be. He's got the tools though, and I think he's gonna be a good offensive dman in the NHL

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Peters wasn’t going to lose sleep over either goalie’s performance.

“I don’t even think you can look at the first period . . . I’m almost scared to go and watch video,” Peters said. “There were a lot of breakdowns. A lot of odd-man rushes. A lot of tap-ins. A lot of breakaways. It was a very loose game . . . I wouldn’t evaluate the goaltenders a whole bunch on (Tuesday’s) game.”
Phillips draws in, goalies have rough night in Flames win over Sharks

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Seems like the story for all of our goalies so far. Outside of Parsons.

Gillies has let in 1 bad goal... in his first game of the season. Yeah, you would like him to get the first one even though it was a cross ice pass on a two on one. But hardly a goal you can blame the goalie on.

He’s also made a lot of big saves. And faced a lot of breakaways.

Give Gillies the shooter and he’s going to stop the puck

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If we're using breakaways to evaluate a goalie, then I don't know what to tell you.

Kipper was awful at them... probably the worst shootout goalie in the league. This isn't me saying that Rittich is as good but some logic has to be used rather than blatant stat watching

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
If we're using breakaways to evaluate a goalie, then I don't know what to tell you.

Kipper was awful at them... probably the worst shootout goalie in the league. This isn't me saying that Rittich is as good but some logic has to be used rather than blatant stat watching

That's only nitpicking 2 of the goals though really.

Again, I don't fully blame him for all the goals against last night. But outside of the Vancouver game he's had a pretty ugly stat line. While some blame can be attributed to poor team play, at some point you gotta point the finger at him too though.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I hate to break it to you guys, but we are a team with new players, new coaches and new systems. We're going to see breakdowns, odd man rushes, and positional gaffes... we need goaltenders who can be counted on to stop the puck no matter how it gets shot at them.

Goalies aren't judged on how good they are at stopping pucks under perfect conditions. We shouldn't be defending poor performances and bad goaltenders. If they can't stop pucks, we shouldn't be paying them to stop pucks.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Goalies aren't judged on how good they are at stopping pucks under perfect conditions.

That's basically what SV% is, and that's what goalies are often judged on. It's naive not to think defensive play doesn't strongly impact perception of a goalie. Different goalies also respond differently to different strengths and weaknesses in defensive play - a goalie's fit behind one D group might not be anything like his fit behind another. You think the only difference between Carey Price of 2015 and Carey Price of 2018 was Carey Price, and not the players in front of him?

If they can't stop pucks, we shouldn't be paying them to stop pucks.

Stopping pucks is a broad spectrum. One guy might pitch a shutout if you don't expose him to breakaways, whereas another guy might pitch a shutout if you don't expose him to screened shots. Put them in each other's shoes and maybe they'll both get lit up.

An NHL goalie's job is to win NHL games, and if one guy is better at stopping pucks under conditions that actually resemble the conditions they'll be facing in NHL games, then it doesn't really matter how they look in front of conditions they'll never likely experience. Pekka Rinne was not a very good AHL goalie and yet he's one of the best NHL goalies for a reason.

I don't think Rittich was fantastic last game, but the conditions he faced did not resemble the conditions we expect him (or anyone else) to face in the regular season. If our team consistently plays like they did in period one of the last game, you could put Hasek in his prime out there and we'd miss the playoffs.

Last edited:

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
That's basically what SV% is, and that's what goalies are often judged on. It's naive not to think defensive play doesn't strongly impact perception of a goalie. Different goalies also respond differently to different strengths and weaknesses in defensive play - a goalie's fit behind one D group might not be anything like his fit behind another. You think the only difference between Carey Price of 2015 and Carey Price of 2018 was Carey Price, and not the players in front of him?

Price has stated that between injuries and other extenuating factors he is not playing as well as he did in 2015. Comparing save percentage within the same club is a relatively good measure of a goalies performance. It would be naive to think that there is a reason why one goalie can't perform when another can.

In regards to the save percentage thus far I wouldn't put much stock in where they are as there has not been a single game here in North America where the team was anywhere close in regards to the roster on opening night. The only thing you have seen thus far is an evaluation of talent throughout the line-up. Watch the next two games then make a judgement.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

Stopping pucks is a broad spectrum. One guy might pitch a shutout if you don't expose him to breakaways, whereas another guy might pitch a shutout if you don't expose him to screened shots. Put them in each other's shoes and maybe they'll both get lit up.

An NHL goalie's job is to win NHL games, and if one guy is better at stopping pucks under conditions that actually resemble the conditions they'll be facing in NHL games, then it doesn't really matter how they look in front of conditions they'll never likely experience. Pekka Rinne was not a very good AHL goalie and yet he's one of the best NHL goalies for a reason.

I don't think Rittich was fantastic last game, but the conditions he faced did not resemble the conditions we expect him (or anyone else) to face in the regular season. If our team consistently plays like they did in period one of the last game, you could put Hasek in his prime out there and we'd miss the playoffs.
Sure, I'm not saying any of this is wrong, and my post was more hyperbolic than anything. My point being is Rittich's being let off the hook for the most part because the team in front of him hasn't played well. The flames haven't been a strong team to play in front of for a while so to expect Rittich to all of a sudden become a good goalie because we're just going to magically play a tight game in front of him is silly. Until this team can show they can play better in front of a goalie, we shouldn't have goalies who can't play behind a loose team. At least Gillies has made some saves when he's left hung out to dry. Can't say the same for Rittich for the most part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad