GDT: Flames vs Senators | Wednesday March 24th, 5PM | TSN5 and TVAS

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Formenton clearly looked frustrated in the A so far. Not good for a hockey player.

Probably a mix of everything, not getting the opportunity to play in the NHL, Belleville sucks compared to last year, getting dominated heavily by Laval in the first 4 games, missing on several breakaways, etc.

Weird lines

Don't remember NOT thinking this with the DJ. Kinda weird because coaches usually "mix it up" quite often (at least for offensive lines). DJ keeps them together as long as possible even if it's not working (anymore)

This looks more like what I have been asking for since the start of the season (well 4th line is different of course and defensive pairings too) :

Stützle-Norris-Batherson (skill)
Tkachuk-White-Dadonov (a bit of everything)
Paul-Tierney-Brown (match up line)
Dzingel-Bishop-Formenton (speed)

Chabot-Zaitsev
Reilly-Zub
Wolanin-Gudbranson

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Was Tim Peel one of the idiots that called that brutal game where Calgary had about 9 pps and somehow the Sens won in a shootout?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Was Tim Peel one of the idiots that called that brutal game where Calgary had about 9 pps and somehow the Sens won in a shootout?

I know for a fact Peel wasn't around but I forget, at the moment, the ref team for that game.

I'm pretty sure reffing groups are divided between Canada and the US, so Peel hasn't reffed a single Canadian division game this year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Man, the praise for Watson around here really highlights how low the bar has been set. Nothing against him, he's just a 4th liner and does his job but it's amazing that its notable when he's one of the better acquisitions the manager has made.

All we needed was a more solid veteran center than Stepan and a more solid veteran RD than Gudbranson (and Josh Brown). Could have just kept Jaros instead of acquiring Josh Brown, Jaros was much better IMO.

The assets it took to get them plus the assets we lost for nothing so far :

- 2nd round pick
- 4th round pick
- 5th round pick
- Rudolfs Balcers
- Filip Chlapik
- Anthony Duclair

Heck you could even add Logan Brown and Erik Brannstrom if we decided they were probably not going part of the "future"

With all of this, can't you get better players than Stepan and Gudbranson? Or just get Tyler Johnson and get some good assets from Tampa? 2nd + prospect or another 2nd?

And then go big for a young-ish D-man? Toews? Dunn? Others? That would have been nice for Chabot

Last edited:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Norris and White are over their heads as centers to be in top 6.
Norris will be incredible third line center one day and even better then Fisher. But probably Pinto will have his job.
White will be expendable as well. Stutzle has to be developed as a center and should start playing this position asap.
He is not great on a wing, when there is no skillful center to play with him. It is a coach's job to do that and not concentrating on wins, but developing players.
DJ Smith for this reason is overusing Chabot. It is idiotic to play him 30 minutes every night. When Smith can give those 3 minutes to Zub's pair and two minutes to Wolanin's.
It is a bad management on his part. Like he is desperate not to get fired.
Looks like it is catching up finally with refs. It is a well known old boys club, who can do whatever they want.
I remember when this club of aholes decided to teach the Sens organization a lesson, complaining about refs none calls, just not giving the team any appropriate PP time for the whole season.
Those are mafia tactics and that old boys club is mafia, who do not deserve to be employed in the major league. Even up calls))) In what other leagues around the world they do this?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Man, the praise for Watson around here really highlights how low the bar has been set. Nothing against him, he's just a 4th liner and does his job but it's amazing that its notable when he's one of the better acquisitions the manager has made.
I don't think it is a low bar, as you said he does what the team/fans expect of him. All the guys in the league that work hard and sacrifice are well liked (except Boro here) in general.

If Gud or Brown could have been solid 5 or 6 D they would get praise too but far too often they were detrimental to the team success.

Agree in principal though!

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Hope to see more 5 on 5 from Stutzle. Kid is seriously snake-bitten. Someone should make a compilation of the chances he gets every game. He usually hits the net but mostly right on the goalie's logo.
Noticed he almost always shoots right in the crest. At least he's good for an assist a game.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
It's kind of odd... Not sure why they did it that way, is there some other TV event they are trying to avoid? 5 is early for us but who's watching this game in Calgary at 3:00 local time?

The game is broadcasted in Germany. The game starts 10 pm instead of midnight (still winter time here). Could be the explanation. But probably a wrong one.

Last edited:

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
With the Peel shitstorm, Im really curious to see how different the refs call games the next little bit. Could be one of those games where half of it is played on special teams.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder how the other refs are going to take this & whether it's seen as an attack on all refs? They all manage the game, it seems to be how they are taught to ref games at this level, but never mention it. I imagine the NHL will still give Peel his full pension so the story doesn't linger & just let him retire quietly & hope this all goes away quickly after this latest news cycle. I imagine they are hoping for something big to happen soon to take away from this story.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
With the Peel shitstorm, Im really curious to see how different the refs call games the next little bit. Could be one of those games where half of it is played on special teams.

If I were to bet on it, I'd say they forget their whistles in their cars and call nothing.

Or the flip side of that is they call the game like they did in the OTW game in Calgary where the calls were 8-2 in favour of the Flames.

I guess what I'm saying is, I know nothing lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad