GDT: Flames vs Senators | Wednesday March 24th, 5PM | TSN5 and TVAS

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
usa_today_15777193.0.jpg

CALGARY FLAMES (15-15-3) @ OTTAWA SENATORS (11-20-3)
TV: TVAS, TSN5 | Radio: TSN 1200, 94.5 Unique-FM

Game 35 Hub: Senators vs Flames
After an exciting game on Monday that ended with Filip Gustavsson grabbing his first NHL win, the Ottawa Senators and Calgary Flames are back at it again. This will be the first of a back to back for the Sens, where they’ll play the Toronto Maple Leafs tomorrow. Playing two of our favourite teams back to back? What did we ever do to deserve this?

Ok so Tierney back in between Jimi and Bathman

Dzingel White and Paul .. should be interesting.

Connor Brown on the 4th line. Say it aint so.

Connor Brown - Losing Watson is massive. Great guy, great teammate, great leader. He lifts the standard of work ethic. We will miss him on and off the ice. Its a blow to our PK.
Note the 5PM start. I have no idea why we have an afternoon game on a weekday, but here it is.

tV8Y9ro.png

Last edited:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
It's kind of odd... Not sure why they did it that way, is there some other TV event they are trying to avoid? 5 is early for us but who's watching this game in Calgary at 3:00 local time?

Is the Wednesday Oilers-Montreal game a rescheduled one based on the Montreal COVID positives? Maybe they're trying to satisfy SN broadcasting rights for both games.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we want to get more out of Dadonov, i think swaping Paul and Tkachuk (i assume Abramov is just a placeholder for Tkachuk)

Tkachuk is a better playmker than Paul and might work well there.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's kind of odd... Not sure why they did it that way, is there some other TV event they are trying to avoid? 5 is early for us but who's watching this game in Calgary at 3:00 local time?

Probably because the game would draw viewers away from Wednesday night hockey. We have two more 5pm starts in April, both also on Wednesday. Last season our only Wednesday night games that were not a national broadcast, were in Edmonton and Los Angeles so later starts.

Reactions: Micklebot

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I saw something about avoiding the Sportsnet National Broadcast in favor of TSN which would provide more revenue.. I could be wrong and I certainly don't know the ins and outs of it

Reactions: Ginger Papa

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Probably because the game would draw viewers away from Wednesday night hockey. We have two more 5pm starts in April, both also on Wednesday. Last season our only Wednesday night games that were not a national broadcast, were in Edmonton and Los Angeles so later starts.

So I read this quickly yesterday but think i got the jist of it

Wednesday is a designated night for the Sportsnet TV deal. By playing at 5, the game is on TSN and doesn't violate Sportsnet's exclusivity. End result for us is more regional TV money.

They did this years back with matinee Saturday games. Increases the regional TV money but doesn't impact the slice of the national broadcast. I remember talking to a Sens rep about it. I bailed on a ticket package because there were so few Saturday night options.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Wednesday is a designated night for the Sportsnet TV deal. By playing at 5, the game is on TSN and doesn't violate Sportsnet's exclusivity. End result for us is more regional TV money.

They did this years back with matinee Saturday games. Increases the regional TV money but doesn't impact the slice of the national broadcast. I remember talking to a Sens rep about it. I bailed on a ticket package because there were so few Saturday night options.

That makes sense, the old regional deal was on a per game basis, the new one to my knowledge isn't, but I imagine due to the shortened season they won't meet the contractual number of games on the regional deal (I think it's set at around 50 to 56 per year), so this minimizes whatever "penalty" there might be. Semantics I guess, the end result though is what you suggested, more money for the team by doing it this way.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yay 5pm
Formenton at 5!

Sounds like tkachuk will be good to go and replaces Abramov but I’d love to see Abe in a game too. I think he’s as ready as he’s going to get.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

Whatever it takes to watch the game on TSN over SportsNet i'm good with

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad