GDT: Flames vs Flyers | 7PM MST, SN360

Status
Not open for further replies.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
A sort of dull, but solid team win. Some depth chipping in with some offense is what we needed to see. Big 2 points!

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I missed this game the stats suggest it was a much better effort. That's good I'll have to miss more games in the future.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Good effort.. I didn't like how they sat back in the third with the lead, as they really need to get the offense and finish going, but a win is a win at this point and they were the better team most of the night.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Where's @Fig? Probably on CP, as usual. Traitorous traitor being a double crossing Judas traitor,

feeding nice booze to a buddy for his birthday. Small surprise birthday hosted at my place.

had some woodford, talisker 10, Kirkland 12 (reminds me of Glenfarclass) and lagavulin.

more alcohol might mean more wins...

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
feeding nice booze to a buddy for his birthday. Small surprise birthday hosted at my place.

had some woodford, talisker 10, Kirkland 12 (reminds me of Glenfarclass) and lagavulin.

more alcohol might mean more wins...
They sell scotch at Costco?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
They sell scotch at Costco?

Yep, plenty. Off the top of my head:

-Kirkland 12 single malt (Glenfarclass ish, $80 for like 1.14 litres or whatever it is)
-Kirkland 20 single malt (unsure how to describe. Sorta Glenmorangie ish)
- Kirkland blend (tastes crappier than Johnny Walker Black)
-Oban 12
-Glenfiddich 12
- Highland park 21

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Hey we should hold a "party" for fig. Tell him how much we care about him and how he can be even better without his addictions to the Flames... or other things.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Just to throw a wet blanket on this party... If you don't count empty net goals or shoot out goals, the Flames have scored two or less goals in five out of seven games played. Not good. This is a problem.

Reactions: super6646

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
clearly the answer is to add more grit to the bottom 6.

Then I really hope we kidnapped that mascot on the way out last night... or put stickers of his face on the player's visors.

Hey we should hold a "party" for fig. Tell him how much we care about him and how he can be even better without his addictions to the Flames... or other things.

I don't like whips and chains. Sorry.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Just to throw a wet blanket on this party... If you don't count empty net goals or shoot out goals, the Flames have scored two or less goals in five out of seven games played. Not good. This is a problem.

To throw your wet blanket in the dryer with some bounce sheets we are currently 2nd in the league in CF% while having the 3rd lowest PDO

The sky isn’t falling. We’re still doing pretty well

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
To throw your wet blanket in the dryer with some bounce sheets we are currently 2nd in the league in CF% while having the 3rd lowest PDO

No we're not. To think otherwise is conning yourself. Possession stats without context is BS. So far this season, the Flames have played a number of bad to middling teams (with three exceptions that we lost to). Here are the teams the Flames have played (and the scores) and where they finished last season..

Cgy 3 - Col 5 (17th)
Cgy 3 - Van 0 (23rd)
Cgy 3 - LA 4 (30th)
Cgy 3 - Dal 2 (15th)
Cgy 2 - LV 6 (16th)
Cgy 1 - SJ 3 (6th)
Cgy 3 - Phi 1 (22nd)

If the Flames continue to score 3 or fewer goals per game, and not counting empty netters and OT/SO goals that drops down to 1.7 gpg, the Flames will need to get near perfect goaltending and play mistake free hockey in order to win on a regular basis. Right now the sky may not be falling but its looking pretty black to me.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yes it is a small sample size but there definitely is a pattern emerging.

We will have a better picture by the end of the month. The Flames have 8 more games to play in October. The next 4 are against Detroit, LA, Anaheim, and Washington. The Flames should dominate and beat 3 of those 4. Washington will be the true test. The next 4 won't be easy wins though... Florida, Winnipeg, Carolina, and Nashville.

If the Flames continue to struggle for goals and wins against bad teams I won't have a lot of optimism for the Flames chances this season. Once the Flames play Washington and then the rest of the scheduled teams in October we should have a true test of the mettle of this team.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

Where did you find this? Using Natural stat trick we're 7th 5v5 without score adjustments and 11th with score adjustments.

Your point still stands but the analytics aren't that favorable pretty middle of the road. I think they'll increase as the season goes on and this is a good team but the start hasn't just been bad because we aren't scoring they look worse and the fancy stats weren't good though the first ~5 games.

Reactions: ScrewNHLOfficiating

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Where did you find this? Using Natural stat trick we're 7th 5v5 without score adjustments and 11th with score adjustments.

Your point still stands but the analytics aren't that favorable pretty middle of the road. I think they'll increase as the season goes on and this is a good team but the start hasn't just been bad because we aren't scoring they look worse and the fancy stats weren't good though the first ~5 games.

I was on hockey reference browsing this morning. Not sure if it was 5v5 or all situations

Edit: Just delete if it’s a bad reference, I’m not the advanced stat guru by any means. Maybe one includes the Philly game and one doesn’t, which such small a sample size it would make for a sizable difference

4FCFAD81-1759-43D7-92D6-18492D75B58A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dack

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
No we're not. To think otherwise is conning yourself. Possession stats without context is BS. So far this season, the Flames have played a number of bad to middling teams (with three exceptions that we lost to). Here are the teams the Flames have played (and the scores) and where they finished last season..

Cgy 3 - Col 5 (17th)
Cgy 3 - Van 0 (23rd)
Cgy 3 - LA 4 (30th)
Cgy 3 - Dal 2 (15th)
Cgy 2 - LV 6 (16th)
Cgy 1 - SJ 3 (6th)
Cgy 3 - Phi 1 (22nd)

If the Flames continue to score 3 or fewer goals per game, and not counting empty netters and OT/SO goals that drops down to 1.7 gpg, the Flames will need to get near perfect goaltending and play mistake free hockey in order to win on a regular basis. Right now the sky may not be falling but its looking pretty black to me.

Bad to middling teams (with 3 exceptions)

We’ve played 7 games lol. San Jose, Colorado, Vegas should all easily be playoff teams this year

Dallas/Philly should be just inside or just outside. The schedule hasn’t been difficult but it hasn’t been a walk in the park. Vegas/Sharks back to back on the road is tough for any team in the league

Also I feel like I did provide context, the context being that we’re creating more than what’s been showing on the scoreboard. It’s kind of implied

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I was on hockey reference browsing this morning. Not sure if it was 5v5 or all situations

Edit: Just delete if it’s a bad reference, I’m not the advanced stat guru by any means. Maybe one includes the Philly game and one doesn’t, which such small a sample size it would make for a sizable difference

View attachment 265199
What I like is the ad at the bottom of your stats.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

View attachment 265199
I honestly don't know. Different sites will have different stats but that's a pretty significant difference. Agreed that the Flames have been fairly unlucky so far.

Natural stat trick includes the Philly game and is still lower despite that being analytically our best game this season so that doesn't really explain it. Maybe they have different levels of adjustment or something.

Reactions: crackdown44

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Cgy 3 - Col 5 (17th)
Cgy 3 - Van 0 (23rd)
Cgy 3 - LA 4 (30th)
Cgy 3 - Dal 2 (15th)
Cgy 2 - LV 6 (16th)
Cgy 1 - SJ 3 (6th)
Cgy 3 - Phi 1 (22nd)

Before reading further, is your posit that Colorado and Vegas should be easy matchups? That is what your use of these stats would indicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad