GDT: Flames vs Flyers | 7PM MST, SN360

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bad to middling team
Also I feel like I did provide context, the context being that we’re creating more than what’s been showing on the scoreboard. It’s kind of implied

I remember Glen gulutzan team that outshot and outplayed other teams but we're just unlucky...

Except we are not outplaying teams...

It's still early but don't say bad signs are not there

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Before reading further, is your posit that Colorado and Vegas should be easy matchups? That is what your use of these stats would indicate.
No. Those two teams are two of the three exceptions. And lets not forget that the Flames were dominated by both those teams and lost 5-3 and 6-2 respectively. If the Flames make it into the playoffs they have to be much more competitive against those teams and the like and only scoring 1 to 3 regulation non empty net goals isn't going to cut it most games... which is my point in a nutshell. The Flames have an offense problem, no matter it seams, who the opponent is.
It seems like some of you have forgotten how impotent the Flames offense was against Colorado last playoffs. The Flames O was completely exposed.

Here's a little refresher...

Capture.JPG

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I remember Glen gulutzan team that outshot and outplayed other teams but we're just unlucky...

I tend to agree that visually we haven’t been dominant by any definition. I also think that a lot of us (myself included) still have a sour taste in our mouths from the disappointment of the Colorado series and that we may be watching the games a little more pessimistically than usual

That’s why I find the numbers to be encouraging. I think most fans have high expectations for the season. 82 games is a long time and the league has a ton of parity. We’re not going to steamroll everyone

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No. Those two teams are two of the three exceptions. And lets not forget that the Flames were dominated by both those teams and lost 5-3 and 6-2 respectively. If the Flames make it into the playoffs they have to be much more competitive against those teams and the like and only scoring 1 to 3 regulation non empty net goals isn't going to cut it most games... which is my point in a nutshell. The Flames have an offense problem, no matter it seams, who the opponent is.
It seems like some of you have forgotten how impotent the Flames offense was against Colorado last playoffs. The Flames O was completely exposed.

Here's a little refresher...

View attachment 265233

Forgotten? No, not forgotten. But certainly managed to put it into perspective, yes. Gotten carried away assuming that a playoff round is more predictive than long-term results? Definitely not.

Out of curiosity, what's your projection for how Tampa will do this season?

My main point pointing towards your stats was that if you are going to take those numbers and ignore a portion of them, what's the point in appealing to the stats at all? You might as well be entirely subjective if you're going to be subjective about when to be objective.

Realistically, out of our 7 games so far this season, we've played 2 convincingly good teams in Vegas and Colorado. While we didn't start the game on time against Colorado, in the second period we were arguably the superior team, and we were flat out dominant in the third. Against Vegas, we played a very tight game and were extremely far from dominated, with a massive disparity in goaltending performance leading to an unflattering finish. Saying we were "dominated by both of those teams" belies that you either didn't watch the games, or are just being disingenuous.

The other five games were against unconvincing or middling teams. We didn't show up to the LA game until half way through, but were dominant after we did, we battled the Stars hard and came out on top, we shut down the Canucks without bringing our A game, and controlled the game against the Flyers until their push in the latter half of the third. Against the Sharks, by all accounts we were the better team while being tired.

Taking the results and over-simplifying them, we could panic and think this team doesn't have the ability to win hockey games. But if you actually delve into what went on in these games, it tells the story of a team that can play at a high level, but hasn't found consistency yet. There really is no need to be so hysterical. There have been encouraging signs in almost every game we played this season. It's early season, and the results from the first 10 games aren't usually predictive (remember Montreal's 10-0 start that one year? Remember.... us, the Flames, last year?).

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
. It's early season, and the results from the first 10 games aren't usually predictive (remember Montreal's 10-0 start that one year? Remember.... us, the Flames, last year?).

I remember your positive spin on everything even when we were losing to the Aves....

that's ok , it even out with the negativity ....lol

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Sports are entertainment. If you aren't having a good time, you're doing it wrong.

Plus people in Canadian cities and on HF take small sample sizes wayyyyy too seriously.

And they tend to ignore historical trends. IE the first ten games are a mess, the Flames are usually terrible at the start of the season

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I defended Gully a ton while he was with us and a ton even after he departed...

Gulutzan teams were scarily passive. Even on games where we take a lead, by the 3rd period, we were so passive it was like handing the other team a stick and hoping we could survive by using a rope a dope strategy. He neutered the offense and tried to statistically defense his way to victory. It's like a worse modern trap that regularly entangles your own friggen team.

Gulutzan games also felt like a genius approach to a turn based game. Too fricken bad hockey isn't a turn based game, but an RTS. Our players literally would be in a good position standing pat after we set up our formation. Then they'd have to figure how to go from 0-100 in a microsecond when they realized that the other team is already cruising at 60-70 kmph.

Gully was supposed to be a good coach for the kids, but IMO, the dude leaned on veterans harder than a dude on crutches.

I still do think Gully will be a HC for a long time in this league and I think he's like a modern Tortorella. If he is given a vet laden cycle educated team (ie: Vancouver or CBJ), I think he will do very well. But the dude was a HC for rush styled teams and is currently an AC for Edmonton which also is more rush styled than cycle. That's just ridiculously bad fit IMO. I do think he was good in teaching our team defense, but the dude was way too defensive and passive. If you thought some of the previous coaches square peg/round holed things... Gully has them all beat IMO.

Reactions: DFF

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Sports are entertainment. If you aren't having a good time, you're doing it wrong.

Agreed but we all have different way of enjoying...some people love pain :nod:

Anyway, all Flames fans are good in my book. Sure beat Oilers and Leafs fans.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

While this is true, the teams success doesn't need to be tied to your enjoyment of the team. For some the enjoyment is just following the trials and tribulations of said team. So, having negative opinions on certain aspects of the team doesn't necessarily mean you aren't enjoying it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

You should go meet some people who are involved in investing. You can get a real time market performance summary from their face.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
While this is true, the teams success doesn't need to be tied to your enjoyment of the team. For some the enjoyment is just following the trials and tribulations of said team. So, having negative opinions on certain aspects of the team doesn't necessarily mean you aren't enjoying it.

I'd say that's everyone, not just some. But there are posters who project abject despair and hopelessness. I'm not sure how that can relate to enjoyment.

We're all cheering for a team that is soon to have an expectation value of one cup every 32 years, accepting that cups are more likely to be won in bunches and thus extend that number further. The very essence of cheering for a team in this league is suspending that dark reality and hoping for the best. So let's not pretend that optimism is unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad