GDT: Flames vs Devils - The "We May Never Lose Again" Edition | 3/12/2019 @ 7 PM MT, SNET-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'm just assuming. Pretty sure the Flames were so thin back then that just about everyone got a chance with Iggy.
He was on the Flames from 07-09. I’m sure he got the odd shift but I mostly remember Primeau being injured and sucking.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Flames' longstanding history of ineptitude at finding quality centremen has absolutely no bearing on the kind of player Monahan is. It's that same logic that leads to mass hysteria over goaltending since everyone compares who's ever in net to Kiprusoff. But that's not how it works.

Oh, and Comeau was by far and away the worst of the Flames' number one centres.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Yep, maybe even Jokinen at the tail end too
Didn't even Tanguay play center for a while? I know he did on his second stint here. Hell I think even Cammalleri did. :laugh:

Sutter did draft Backs and traded for Jokinen (at the time a decent top 6 center) so it's not like they just completely ignored the issue. But in the end it took a top 10 draft pick to find that #1C, just like it always does for pretty much every team in the league.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Didn't even Tanguay play center for a while? I know he did on his second stint here. Hell I think even Cammalleri did. :laugh:

Sutter did draft Backs and traded for Jokinen (at the time a decent top 6 center) so it's not like they just completely ignored the issue. But in the end it took a top 10 draft pick to find that #1C, just like it always does for pretty much every team in the league.
I don’t remember Tangs playing centre. In all honesty I don’t think Cammy did very much either.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Jamie Lundmark Experiment
I remember when he scored 2 out of 3 goals in the last 3 minutes to comeback against the Wings at the Joe. I was pretty sad when he got traded to the Leafs.

Edit: nvm he got picked off of waivers

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yeah, I believe the logic there was "Tanguay passes a lot ergo he can be a playmaking centre for Iginla"

Plus a combo of we had better wingers than centermen I think, and the idea was to load up the line. I want to say that Tanguay had some sort of experience with C in junior too, not a lot but just said he played it at times or something to give the coach some sort of justification for it.

Aug 3, 2010
All these years of depth centres/fake centres…

But hey guys, f*** Monahan right? Why isn't he Getzlaf?

Reactions: Khrox

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
giphy.gif

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I don’t remember Tangs playing centre. In all honesty I don’t think Cammy did very much either.
Had to check on Cammy and I think it was during the lockout season 2012-13. He took 496 faceoffs in 44 games which is about 11 per game so he did definitely spend some time at center. It wasn't for the entire season though. Dark days...

Reactions: Sk8M8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad