GDT: Flames vs Devils - The "We May Never Lose Again" Edition | 3/12/2019 @ 7 PM MT, SNET-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Did Derek Ryan get promoted at any time during the 3rd

Got promoted to the 3rd line with Bennett and Czarnik. He also took a shift and scored a goal with Johnny and Lindy when Monahan got clipped by Coleman.

I've really come to appreciate his role as that utility guy that can be put into all situations.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I was just looking at last years roster to see who actually played in the bottom 6 and was reminded that we acquired Chris Stewart I'd forgotten about that.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
He was crap for a month and a half. Good to see him have a great game, hope it continues.

The thing that few likely noted it was Sean acting as play-maker tonight. Where Johnny would normally have carried the mail it was Sean which gave Johnny room. So much for the third line winger crap.

FYI Johnny only had 1 turnover tonight and on the whole the first line possessed the puck more, for-checked more and relied on rushes less. That said it was against a team with 10 entry level contracts but this is something to be built on. Hopefully the shift to Monahan directing play continues so that the first line can be effective in the tighter checking games we are going to see from here on in.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Some of you fans are spoiled, and I can tell you were not a fan of this team during the dreaded Jokinen, Langkow, Lombardi years. I swear to God a lot of you are bandwagoners or at least come off that way. Stop bitching about Monahan so much. Be thankful that Calgary actually has a number one center for a change. It is really hard to please some of you. The guy has 76 pts this year and he went on a bit of slump, yes, but every player does. He has been really good for most of the year.

/rant

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
looks like Fantenberg is doing pretty good for himself, an underrated depth defenseman that can handle big minutes when needed, always liked him in LA

There are facets of his game that positively remind me of Deryk Engelland and Kris Russell. Just a pure hardworking lunch pail sort of dude. Simple, but not flashy and he strikes me as a guy who has enough self awareness to know exactly what his strengths and weaknesses and capabilities are at the NHL level. He's bound to make a mistake or two due to his talents being mostly average, but when he does make that mistake, he quickly does all he can to ensure that the opposition doesn't get a free pass towards our net. That hardworking aspect helps to ensure that his talent flaws do not get exposed on the regular by the opposition.

I think he's going end up with a few fans sooner or later. He's such an honest, hardworking guy who plays the game in a respectable way. IMO, I feel like his play is like Engelland without the physical aspects of Engelland's game. But something about his game also reminds me of Kris Russell, but I'm not sure what. I don't think many disagree Fanta is more of a 6/7/8 right now, but I think he can easily enter the realm of a solid 4/5 for many years like Engelland and Russell were a few seasons back. Hugely underrated pick up IMO and it's really cool to see you keep tabs on a guy that many others would consider a nobody.

Reactions: KingPuckChoo

Khrox

May 31, 2018
you were not a fan of this team during the dreaded Jokinen, Langkow, Lombardi years

Man... Lombardi. Fast as hell, watching him you'd swear he had like 2-3 breakaways a game, but hands of stone. He moved faster than he could think with the puck. Still liked him though, his speed kept people honest.

Reactions: Sk8M8

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
By far the worst Flames team ever.

Remember the Young Guns?

The Flames drafted Rico Fata 6th overall that year. Simon Gagne, Scott Gomez, Brad Richards and Tanguay were drafted later.

DZ83dslV4AA-WFb.jpg:large

upload_2019-3-13_6-11-26.png

Reactions: Chief Mucker

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Man... Lombardi. Fast as hell, watching him you'd swear he had like 2-3 breakaways a game, but hands of stone. He moved faster than he could think with the puck. Still liked him though, his speed kept people honest.

Could have used him in Game 7 '04

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
LOL@ because the Flames sucked for years, we dont deserve this team.

When guys took time off for a whole month, they need to be woke up.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
All the salty Hurricanes' fans' "warnings" could give the fittest person in the world a coronary.

My favourite thing was how sheepish some of our fans were about it too.
Canes fans: LOL enjoy Doc playing on PP1 and centering Gaudreau eventually. hahahahaha. Peters' love child.
Dopey Flames fan: Durrh Ryan sucks! He's going to get gifted minutes. What a dumb signing by Treliving. Stupid move.

This guy's quietly become one of the best FA signings from last summer. All purpose centre, will score ~35 points by the end of the year. Defensively responsible, offensively capable, good at draws... He's about the richest 4C you could ask for in the league; in reality he's a 3C in 4C clothing.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
My favourite thing was how sheepish some of our fans were about it too.
Canes fans: LOL enjoy Doc playing on PP1 and centering Gaudreau eventually. hahahahaha. Peters' love child.
Dopey Flames fan: Durrh Ryan sucks! He's going to get gifted minutes. What a dumb signing by Treliving. Stupid move.

This guy's quietly become one of the best FA signings from last summer. All purpose centre, will score ~35 points by the end of the year. Defensively responsible, offensively capable, good at draws... He's about the richest 4C you could ask for in the league; in reality he's a 3C in 4C clothing.

Some people here really wanted to hate him. There were a lot of “why is Ryan on the power play?” posts when he was the most effective guy on that unit.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I almost think of Ryan as a (really) poor man's Lindholm. They have a lot of similarities. Obviously Lindo is a better player but they both are very smart players that read the ice well and don't rush to make decisions. We could do a lot worse than having Derek Ryan on our fourth line.

IMO he really deserved a hat trick last night but the poor guy didn't know how to do it. :laugh: After a flukey bounce on one goal and then the easiest goal of his life set up by Gaudreau, I think Ryan just forgot how to put it in the net without some divine intervention. :laugh:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Some of you fans are spoiled, and I can tell you were not a fan of this team during the dreaded Jokinen, Langkow, Lombardi years. I swear to God a lot of you are bandwagoners or at least come off that way. Stop *****ing about Monahan so much. Be thankful that Calgary actually has a number one center for a change. It is really hard to please some of you. The guy has 76 pts this year and he went on a bit of slump, yes, but every player does. He has been really good for most of the year.

/rant

You forgot David Moss, Jamie Lundmark, etc. too lol

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Did Primeau ever line up with Iggy? I don't remember that. I was just going off guys I remember us shoving in our #1C spot.
I think they played together for a few games, but not positive.

My post was just naming our illustrious crop of excellent players to ever grace the team :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad