GDT: Flames vs/at Oilers Split Squad games 6pm MT, Watch on Flames site or listen on Radio

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The 13/14 year was definitely Backlund's breakout year. The previous years were nothing to be proud of.

Disagree. I was very high on Backlund after the 2012/13 season based on the games he played in. But there was still a lot of negativity simply due to his injury history and the prevailing fear that he'd never be able to stay healthy. He definitely turned another corner yesteryear, though, and a lot of that has to do with not missing extended time.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Disagree. I was very high on Backlund after the 2012/13 season based on the games he played in. But there was still a lot of negativity simply due to his injury history and the prevailing fear that he'd never be able to stay healthy. He definitely turned another corner yesteryear, though, and a lot of that has to do with not missing extended time.

This. It was plainly obvious Backlunds difficulties were due to injury.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
My quick thoughts on the game:

1. Monahan was great. I actually half expected him to be a bit unimpressive as he enters the scary softmore slump year. But he was easily our best player. He does look stronger too. Maybe him and Colborne are pushing eachother to get bigger.
2. Yakupov was definitely determined to be a force, but didn't seem to have the support to make anything happen. Could be his breakout year.
3. The score isn't surprising considering our top defensive line and #1 goalie played most of the game. I would have liked to see the younger dmen try to finish the game in the defensive end instead of Gio & Brodie (though its possible they were about to start but came back to the bench).
4. Gaudreau was ok, he didn't disappoint, but he didn't blow me away. He does look like he can be an NHLer this year though. I like him on the powerplay, think he can really slow things down and I don't think he missed a pass all game - even going from the low circle out to the opposite point through traffic.
5. Seto wasn't bad at all. He wasn't a game changer, but he looked relatively confident with the puck, just wasn't shooting well. He had that one play where he picked up the loose puck at the line and walked into the hashmarks, but put one right into the Oildrop. I like how he got to his shooting area, but you gotta go for a corner. And I don't think the run-in with Yak is anything, probably just milking it in the last minute to get a penalty or fire the guys up. Didn't see any knee on knee.

Overall, I'd give the guys a B+.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The 13/14 year was definitely Backlund's breakout year. The previous years were nothing to be proud of.

Offensively, maybe. But I'm not sure why people still hold it against him for not producing big numbers playing third and fourth line minutes.

Defensive play is another story however. He's always been quite solid in that area.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Offensively, maybe. But I'm not sure why people still hold it against him for not producing big numbers playing third and fourth line minutes.

Defensive play is another story however. He's always been quite solid in that area.

Backlund has finally turned himself around and in a top 6 role. I always wanted him to be an offensive weapon, which is primarily why I said that his seasons before the 13/14 season was nothing to be proud about. I am glad with what I see from him.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw this. For the longest time I wasn't seeing what all the Backlund hype was about and thought he was barely average, but he really stepped it up last season especially after he was given the A for those games.

Depends what you wanted out of him, I guess. He's been excellent defensively for multiple years. His positional awareness, stickwork, and fore/backchecking were fantastic even when he wasn't putting up points. If he'd never progressed past that stage of development he'd still have been an excellent third line checking centre.

The issues he did have were with offensive confidence. He'd often stay too high in the offensive zone, take outside shots too often, etc. His breakout year was when he really worked past that and managed to gain excellent offensive consistency last season. Even when he doesn't put up points he looks like a beast, now.

The other thing people seem to ignore when talking about Backlund is how bad his luck has been for random injuries. Every time he started to look like he'd found his footing as a younger guy he'd get a shoulder injury or have Stajan break his finger in practice.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Depends what you wanted out of him, I guess. He's been excellent defensively for multiple years. His positional awareness, stickwork, and fore/backchecking were fantastic even when he wasn't putting up points. If he'd never progressed past that stage of development he'd still have been an excellent third line checking centre.

The issues he did have were with offensive confidence. He'd often stay too high in the offensive zone, take outside shots too often, etc. His breakout year was when he really worked past that and managed to gain excellent offensive consistency last season. Even when he doesn't put up points he looks like a beast, now.

The other thing people seem to ignore when talking about Backlund is how bad his luck has been for random injuries. Every time he started to look like he'd found his footing as a younger guy he'd get a shoulder injury or have Stajan break his finger in practice.

He's banging in a lot of goals from the top of the crease these days, which is great. Back in previous seasons, even when he scored a rebound goal, it would be a rebound kicked out into the slot.

Aug 3, 2010
I think that if Backlund were to show his 13-14 season's consistency in all areas of the ice while avoiding freak injuries and top out at a 65-point season (even for his career, plateau at around 40-50) that would be a win-win for him and the organization.

If Backlund topped out as a Travis Zajac-like player (known for defense, decent offensive instinct especially with great linemates but on most Cup contenders would not realistically be in a #1 role) I would be very happy. It's pretty obvious that outside of his injuries, he's worked long and hard to get hinself where he is today and that bodes well for the organization as a whole - to send the message to the rookies of a rebuilding NHL club that the Flames sticks by their youth/longer term projects (Jankowski, anyone?) as long as the player devotes the same attention. Giordano is also another excellent example of that dedication between player and organization.

Having a coach like Hartley helps too. I feel like the relative role placements, youth development questions, and instability of Sutter/Keenan on Backlund over the years gave him some really challenging times.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I've always felt the Zajac comparison for Backlund is a good one. At times last season to I saw flashes of Krejci. Backlund is developing into a fine young player.

Aug 3, 2010
I've always felt the Zajac comparison for Backlund is a good one. At times last season to I saw flashes of Krejci. Backlund is developing into a fine young player.

Seeing as Backlund hasn't yet seen post-season play at the NHL level, I think we'd be too quick to anoint Backlund as Krejci-esque especially when comparing production. Maybe if everything went perfectly for the rest of his career he could see a peak level of Krejci but… it's unlikely. Remember that Krejci is a legitimate #1 centre in this league and an absolute playoff beast. Backlund should be a excellent 2nd line centre but again, not an ideal first liner, like Zajac.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Seeing as Backlund hasn't yet seen post-season play at the NHL level, I think we'd be too quick to anoint Backlund as Krejci-esque especially when comparing production. Maybe if everything went perfectly for the rest of his career he could see a peak level of Krejci but… it's unlikely. Remember that Krejci is a legitimate #1 centre in this league and an absolute playoff beast. Backlund should be a excellent 2nd line centre but again, not an ideal first liner, like Zajac.

I agree with this entirely, I don't think Mikael has Krejci's ceiling (I guess it's possible though), but his playing style is similar IMO. Because Iggy played on the B's last year I caught as many games as I could, and I saw some resemblances in their playing styles. As I said in my previous post, I saw flashes of Krejci in Backlund, but realistically he doesn't hit that level, he should be a good #2 if he stays on his current trajectory path.

Zajac is probably the best comparable from what we've seen.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I agree with this entirely, I don't think Mikael has Krejci's ceiling (I guess it's possible though), but his playing style is similar IMO. Because Iggy played on the B's last year I caught as many games as I could, and I saw some resemblances in their playing styles. As I said in my previous post, I saw flashes of Krejci in Backlund, but realistically he doesn't hit that level, he should be a good #2 if he stays on his current trajectory path.

Zajac is probably the best comparable from what we've seen.

Backlund and Krejci play very similar games but Krejci is another step up from Backlund when it comes to offense.

Zajac is a decent comparable for Backlund.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad