GDT: Flames vs/at Oilers Split Squad games 6pm MT, Watch on Flames site or listen on Radio

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Let's not just throw him under the bus before the season even starts. It looked to me like he was having a decent game but then I came on here and everyone had their "Seto Sucks" shades on for no good reason.

He's on a cheap deal and seems determined to mount a comeback. I'm rooting for him.

He had a real good 3rd period but honestly the first half of the game the only time I noticed him was when he was giving away the puck or making a soft pass while entering the offensive zone, thus giving it away.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Ffs we already have an unwarranted whipping boy... I thought Seto was fine tonight, had decent poise with the puck as the game went on. Far from terrible. Let's not turn this into Butler 2.0

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ffs we already have an unwarranted whipping boy... I thought Seto was fine tonight, had decent poise with the puck as the game went on. Far from terrible. Let's not turn this into Butler 2.0
Not a shock at all. Seto and Engelland will be put down all year long.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Not a shock at all. Seto and Engelland will be put down all year long.

Well, given the reviews from fans of their previous teams, it'll be warranted. Moreso with Engelland since he's being vastly overpaid (I don't have a problem if Gooch ends up sucking because he's not being paid like a guy with high expectations).

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well, given the reviews from fans of their previous teams, it'll be warranted. Moreso with Engelland since he's being vastly overpaid (I don't have a problem if Gooch ends up sucking because he's not being paid like a guy with high expectations).

Smid also came with raucous jeering from his former fanbase, but I think we've all been fairly satisfied by what he's been able to do for us.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

Why would it be warranted because of what they've done in the past? It's what they do now. I recall Russell catching flak from his former fans, Colborne, Hudler, etc.. The list goes on. This fanbase always feels the need to grasp onto a whipping boy. Give them a couple months before we label them hot garbage.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Why would it be warranted because of what they've done in the past? It's what they do now. I recall Russell catching flak from his former fans, Colborne, Hudler, etc.. The list goes on. This fanbase always feels the need to grasp onto a whipping boy. Give them a couple months before we label them hot garbage.

What I'm trying to say is that, if people view them as crappy during the season it will probably be well-founded, as they both have histories of being underwhelming players. If they end up being positive surprises, then that's awesome; it's just not all that likely.

Smid also came with raucous jeering from his former fanbase, but I think we've all been fairly satisfied by what he's been able to do for us.

We disagree on that one. I was actually kind of impressed with the trade at the time (I understand Smid used to be an effective defender) but so far for the Flames I haven't seen him look very effective. Too slow, too lacking in puck skills.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
What I'm trying to say is that, if people view them as crappy during the season it will probably be well-founded, as they both have histories of being underwhelming players. If they end up being positive surprises, then that's awesome; it's just not all that likely.

We disagree on that one. I was actually kind of impressed with the trade at the time (I understand Smid used to be an effective defender) but so far for the Flames I haven't seen him look very effective. Too slow, too lacking in puck skills.

Once again I question you. Why is it not likely? When we've literally seen half a dozen players turn it around and look great under Hartley.. New team, new coach, new systems... They deserve a fresh start, not to be based on the past, give em 20 or so games, if Seto is playing bad than sure than you can say "I guess Jets fans were right". Don't go into this season thinking "oh Jets and Pens fans say these guys are garbage, so they must be!", it just plants that negative bias right off the bat.

Seriously you guys, GIVE OUR PLAYERS A CHANCE!

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Excited about kulak, 4th rounds picks are like first round picks for us. I really think he will end up being a 2nd pairing calibre player, a sieloff level player just different skills.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Excited about kulak, 4th rounds picks are like first round picks for us. I really think he will end up being a 2nd pairing calibre player, a sieloff level player just different skills.

He's very calm and collected, a little seasoning and strengthening and I definitely see him as a full time NHLer in the future.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I had to miss the games, but I'm back home today now so I'll be able to stay back on top of things. Great to hear about Monahan, this kid just seems special.

kris

Jan 12, 2003
Calgary via Halifax
Probably wrong thread for this, but was at the game, and thought Yakupov was the best player on the ice.

Monahan looked good too, definitely the best player on the Flames, is able to slow the game down/speed it up and control the pace of play and that is hard to do. Didn't notice a much faster burst than last year like some others are saying, but I didn't watch the Flames a ton last year until I moved here.

Overall a pretty boring game, although hard to complain about hockey being back (and I got free tix).

Gaudreau sorta reminds me of Drouin on the PP. Likes to play up high and control things and can move high and low as needed. Dru doesn't have the big booming shot or anything and won't play the point at this level but in the Q he was always much more effective (even with Nate being there) with the puck going through him at the point. Not sure Gaudreau has the same vision for it but he's got similar puck skills. Glad I get to see him live more and more. He didn't necessarily have an overly good game or do anything special but can see it happening.

shammy

Sep 29, 2004
Newfoundland, Canada
Once again I question you. Why is it not likely? When we've literally seen half a dozen players turn it around and look great under Hartley.. New team, new coach, new systems... They deserve a fresh start, not to be based on the past, give em 20 or so games, if Seto is playing bad than sure than you can say "I guess Jets fans were right". Don't go into this season thinking "oh Jets and Pens fans say these guys are garbage, so they must be!", it just plants that negative bias right off the bat.

I agree. Can't judge Seto on one bad year. Have to give him some time... If all teams thought the same way and based everything off of the previous year then I wonder if how John LeClair would have played out his career? Everyone plays differently under different coaches/players, etc.... Like Murf said, have to give him 20 or so games to get use to the system and linemates... And for his cheap salary, if it doesn't pan out then who cares.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wasn't too happy that Knight didn't play as well as I thought he would. Reinhart was one of the better players in the home game.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Fact is most Jets fans wanted him gone and no GM was offering a guy who should be good for 20 goals a 1M+ deal.

Seto needs to step up and show he's one of the 10 best forwards in the organization (cause he wont win a shot-blocking or face-punching role) and if the only guys he's outplaying are Jooris and 19 year old Klimchuk that isn't good enough.

Yeah we've heard he's working harder going into this season and that's great if we see the results on the ice, like we did from both Colborne and Monahan

Agreed. He's KHL bound IMO.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not going to "not give them a chance"; but these are dudes who have been in the league a long time and have established track records, and I am setting my expectations based on those track records. If they exceed expectations, then great. It's the same principle as if a good player comes to the team; if the Flames got Vanek or something, my expectations would be high based on his track record; I wouldn't give him a "fresh start" and expect him to prove how good he is just because he switched teams.

The guys who did better under Hartley were still good players prior: Backlund has been awesome for like the last three seasons, Bouwmeester was always better than people wanted to admit, etc.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Probably wrong thread for this, but was at the game, and thought Yakupov was the best player on the ice.

I'm a bit surprised at this.
Real time stats aren't always the best for this but:
0 shots on a team that needed them.
0 hits (running into Seto behind the play didn't count).
1 Giveaway which is odd as he actually moved the puck forward better than most Oilers this game.
0 Takeaways not odd as he looked to be wandering and not reading the play well when the Flames had the puck.

You may have seen something I didn't from the feed, where did Nail standout watching live?

May 27, 2012
Earth
The guys who did better under Hartley were still good players prior: Backlund has been awesome for like the last three seasons, Bouwmeester was always better than people wanted to admit, etc.

Backlund has only been impressive this season. The other two seasons he was underwhelming. The lockout season was decent at a .5ppg but only after 32 games. The season before he was not great all.

Everybody knew Bouwmeester was good, but for whatever reason people bashed him. We were grateful to have a dman like that. Everybody started eating crow when Hartley came along and let him be offensive, and also when we traded him for that atrocious package. Poirer is the only one worth anything from that trade.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009

The problem is we analyze what we saw in a game each game so if Seto has a bad game and we call him out on it, that isn't the end of the world. it is a small sample size.
But when we're discussing that small sample size in the GDT he still played poorly.

In our tiny 1 game sample size of Engelland; he was a rock that allowed Kulak confidence, and laid out a couple hits while taking no stupid penalties, probably the 3rd best D-man in Calgary after the obvious top pair.

It's the same thing when we discuss contracts as they are being handed out, yeah maybe Engelland lights the world on fire and it turns out to be a good signing 20 games in and we should all be hoping to see that, but at the time the contract is handed out and we discuss said contract it is very appropriate to bring up what his advanced stats say and what the fanbase watching him thought.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Backlund has only been impressive this season. The other two seasons he was underwhelming. The lockout season was decent at a .5ppg but only after 32 games. The season before he was not great all.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw this. For the longest time I wasn't seeing what all the Backlund hype was about and thought he was barely average, but he really stepped it up last season especially after he was given the A for those games.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Everybody knew Bouwmeester was good, but for whatever reason people bashed him. We were grateful to have a dman like that. Everybody started eating crow when Hartley came along and let him be offensive, and also when we traded him for that atrocious package. Poirer is the only one worth anything from that trade.

The 13/14 year was definitely Backlund's breakout year. The previous years were nothing to be proud of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad