Friedman: Flames trying to acquire a first round pick

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I agree Konecny has more value.

But people fail to realize Sam Bennett is still going to be a very effective top 6 forward.

In general most offers for Bennett are pointless.

If you get a Tolvanen or a Konecny, sure, trade him. But won’t happen. So me might as well keep him.

All honesty, where do you see Bennett ending up position wise, point wise.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Bennett is the kind of player that breaks out when they get to 24-25. That's when his size becomes offset by the addition of man muscle and some more smarts.

This is due to his style of play.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yes. Hence why I said do you "settle" for Bennett, or roll the dice with guys who could be top 6 players. I roll the dice and if wrong, they still could be another Bennett.

Yeah if wrong they can be another Bennett. That's funny. Showing you know nothing about Bennett or just being ignorant.

Not everyone can be an effective NHLer. He is not scoring like a top pick but he is not a total bust....Go look at his draft year and see how many are better than him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
All honesty, where do you see Bennett ending up position wise, point wise.

He’s looked better on the wing, at least more productive but I’m not sure that his position has been set quite yet. He has parts of his game well suited for being a C, but he’s also built really well for playing on the wing as he has good speed, physicality, and is more free to use his skill to create offence.

I think when all is said and done, he’s going to much like Zibanejad in terms of production. Some fans think lower because our fan base has zero patience, but I think 50-65pts (ie. Simmonds) is probably a fair projection. Of course his floor is what he is now, but I see lots of room for growth in his game.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He’s looked better on the wing, at least more productive but I’m not sure that his position has been set quite yet. He has parts of his game well suited for being a C, but he’s also built really well for playing on the wing as he has good speed, physicality, and is more free to use his skill to create offence.

I think when all is said and done, he’s going to much like Zibanejad in terms of production. Some fans think lower because our fan base has zero patience, but I think 50-65pts (ie. Simmonds) is probably a fair projection. Of course his floor is what he is now, but I see lots of room for growth in his game.
If he ends up like that, then you should be happy.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If he ends up like that, then you should be happy.

I know I’m a little more optimistic than most, but he has so much growth in his game and his skill is undeniable. Honestly his biggest issues are his finish and trying to do to much. I think added strength, some maturity will solve a lot of his issues. I also think having a new coach will do wonders, he had his best season a rookie.

Reactions: Tripod

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Do you see him at C or wing? If he ends up being that, he can still be a very effective player.

I think the thing with Benny is that he’s versatile. If you needed him to be a C, I feel like he could eventually be a very good one. If the need is greater to play him at W, it wouldn’t be an issue. He said he’s been used as a C most his career and feels very comfortable there, but he’ll play whenever he is needed.

To this point he’s looked better as a winger, but now that Monahan has been shutdown, he’s back to C to finish off the season.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
That's not true at all. It comes down to this:

Do you settle for Bennett who is looking to be a 30-40 point guy.

Or do you roll the dice on a guy who still has more upside.

Just look at the last draft. Bennett would not return Frost, Tolvanen, Kostin...and they were 3 of the last 5 picks in the 1st Rd.

Now obviously if you are a GM and you think you can "fix" Bennett and turn him into a 50+ point guy, that is a different story.

When you draft in the 1st Rd, you are still dealing with top 6 talent and guys that can be top 6 players. The current Bennett level is what you hope for if the guy does not reach his potential. I would never "settle" for the lower end and trade a 1st for 30ish point forward.
Good point

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Fox+ to NYR for their latest 1st is what I see happening. The + is added because it’s unsure if Fox would sign

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Fox+ to NYR for their latest 1st is what I see happening. The + is added because it’s unsure if Fox would sign
I'd really rather not unless Fox straight up tells us he won't sign here.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I'd really rather not unless Fox straight up tells us he won't sign here.
As a Rangers fan I’d rather keep the pick because we’re already good on RHD but that’s just something I can see happening

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
If Hartman+5th can return a late 1st and 4th I think Bennett might be able to? Bennett can play C (how effective not sure I beleive most his points come at wing), is a year younger and have similar point totals prior to being traded.

Hartman has had a lot more success compared to bennet and is a much better player.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
That is actually not true based on data. Hartman is almost 2 yrs older and their stats are not that much difference.

What Data?

PPG Hartman > Bennet

This season Hartman > Bennet

even strength points Hartman has 60

Bennet has 73 (while having an entire extra season of games played)

Bennet has entire season's worth of games played more than Hartman yet only has 26 more pts the gap will be a lot closer as Bennet hasnt even broken 30 pts since his rookie year while Hartman has done it twice already. As of now Hartman is rising while Bennet is falling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brock Radunske

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad