Speculation: Flames to move AHL affiliate to Utica, NY?

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Not really sure why Saskatoon or Regina doesn't have an AHL team. Would be perfect for a Flames farm team.

Aug 3, 2010
Not really sure why Saskatoon or Regina doesn't have an AHL team. Would be perfect for a Flames farm team.

Probably related to existing arena deals with the WHL or whoever, like the Regina Pats or Saskatoon Blades.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I know where Utica is. Syracuse is an hour away while Kingston is 2.5 hours away.

How do you know Kingston where Kingston is but not Syracuse? Sryacuse is 5-6 times the population AND they have a popular college basketball team! :laugh:

I generally know where some places are on a map in the US, but typically the most I can do is name a quadrant.

Seems like a hotbed of junior hockey. Maybe they're just too much into that.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Probably related to existing arena deals with the WHL or whoever, like the Regina Pats or Saskatoon Blades.

It would be a fun pipe-dream if OKC moves to Saskatoon and the Heat move to Regina and a saskatchewan rivalry develops.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Seems like a hotbed of junior hockey. Maybe they're just too much into that.

That's pretty much it. Neither city would be able to support an AHL and a WHL team. And if it's one or the other, it's WHL 100%.

We had another thread a few months ago where somebody mentioned Fort Mcmurray. Interesing idea, but too many obstacles IMO. No AHL calibre building, out in the middle of nowhere, and a one dimensional economy.

My pick for the Heat...................Las Vegas. That would be awesome.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't buy this rumor at all. The Canucks signed a 2 or 3 year deal with Utica that was said to be iron clad.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I don't buy this rumor at all. The Canucks signed a 2 or 3 year deal with Utica that was said to be iron clad.

If the Canucks come in and promise the Flames the same kind of deal that they have in Abbotsford right now, I can't see the Flames not taking that deal.

And "Las Vegas Heat" has a nice ring to it as well. I would catch a Heat game while in Vegas; way more incentive to go there than Abbotsford.

Wow. A 2 or 3 year deal? That's almost a 3 or 4 year deal. No way they could ever move.

It's actually a six year deal, so if you add the 2 years from AH and 4 years from GS, there's six. ;)

http://www.uticaod.com/x1484774957/...-team#Utica-scores-with-new-hockey-team?tag=2

With

Esche acknowledged there is an escape clause but suggested it is heavily weighted in MVG’s favor and something the Canucks would be very reluctant to exercise.

Last edited:

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
And "Las Vegas Heat" has a nice ring to it as well. I would catch a Heat game while in Vegas; way more incentive to go there than Abbotsford.

I went to a Wranglers game a few years ago and it was one of the most unique game experiences of my life. The promotion was "Midnight Game". That's right, puckdrop at 12:01. No kids allowed!! Pole dancers set up in the seating bowl!! Beer servers wearing bikini tops!! And best of all, sold out building. It was awesome.

If the Heat moved to Vegas, I'd go at least once every winter. Hell, I'd consider giving up my Flames tickets and using the money to go 5 times every winter.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I went to a Wranglers game a few years ago and it was one of the most unique game experiences of my life. The promotion was "Midnight Game". That's right, puckdrop at 12:01. No kids allowed!! Pole dancers set up in the seating bowl!! Ber servers wearing bikini tops!! And best of all, sold out building. It was awesome.

Sounds almost like that Ben Eager/Canucks playoffs incident in 2011. Except kids were allowed to that game, of course. :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Fill me in on that Anglesmith, I don't remember that one.

Well, as a moderator, I have to behave myself and not try to post a picture. ;)

But a lady beside the penalty box showed off a pair of wonderful... "tracts of land"... to Ben Eager during a Sharks/Canucks playoff game.

Maybe this was a bigger deal here in the Canucks kingdom.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

But a lady beside the penalty box showed off a pair of wonderful... "tracts of land"... to Ben Eager during a Sharks/Canucks playoff game.

I'm not sure what you're getting at… care to tell us more? :naughty:

mustange70

Nov 27, 2010
That's pretty much it. Neither city would be able to support an AHL and a WHL team. And if it's one or the other, it's WHL 100%.

We had another thread a few months ago where somebody mentioned Fort Mcmurray. Interesing idea, but too many obstacles IMO. No AHL calibre building, out in the middle of nowhere, and a one dimensional economy.

My pick for the Heat...................Las Vegas. That would be awesome.

They are in progress of building a new building in fort Mac with a seven thou seating capacity, they haven't broke ground, as they are still in talks with the builders, but the money and land have been set aside. This is probably the best option if we want fans (they have one of the highest ajhl attendance records and the rink they use isn't that big), and easy access to calgary (remember it's just not flight time, but total flights per day), but there's still the scheduling issues.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
They are in progress of building a new building in fort Mac with a seven thou seating capacity, they haven't broke ground, as they are still in talks with the builders, but the money and land have been set aside. This is probably the best option if we want fans (they have one of the highest ajhl attendance records and the rink they use isn't that big), and easy access to calgary (remember it's just not flight time, but total flights per day), but there's still the scheduling issues.

Ugh, Ft.Mac is so ugly and expensive to do anything, even to get a hotel. Only executives will be paying for Heat games I take it.

Besides, I didn't know Maritimers are Flames fans :sarcasm:

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

Pics or shens.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
It seems like the talk of the Flames leaving Abbotsford and heading east is starting to heat up again and if you do swap AHL locations with Vancouver and come to Utica you won't be disappointed. The Utica Comets have had tremendous fan support this season and being centrally located in Upstate New York they have one of the easiest travel schedules in the entire AHL.

Yes, callups may take a little longer but that hasn't been an issue even a single time this year with Vancouver. The increased practice and better development outweigh the callup issues.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
It seems like the talk of the Flames leaving Abbotsford and heading east is starting to heat up again and if you do swap AHL locations with Vancouver and come to Utica you won't be disappointed. The Utica Comets have had tremendous fan support this season and being centrally located in Upstate New York they have one of the easiest travel schedules in the entire AHL.

Yes, callups may take a little longer but that hasn't been an issue even a single time this year with Vancouver. The increased practice and better development outweigh the callup issues.

That's great news and I agree completely. I think our guys deserve a home crowd that cheers them on. I think they deserve a break between games - especially after tough losses - as opposed to constant back-to-backs. And I think call ups are rarely a concern if its only a difference in 3-5 hours needed. So maybe a call up misses the morning skate the very rare occasion because a short-notice call up? With our farm team playing the very same system, it should be less of a problem

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The Comets played 6 games in Abbotsford this season and won 5 of them. In every game it looked and sounded to me like there were more fans cheering for the Comets than the Heat. Two of the games were back to back OT wins for the Comets and the cheers were very loud each time.

It has to be very demoralizing for the Heat players to have more fans cheer against you than for you in your own building.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
The Comets played 6 games in Abbotsford this season and won 5 of them. In every game it looked and sounded to me like there were more fans cheering for the Comets than the Heat. Two of the games were back to back OT wins for the Comets and the cheers were very loud each time.

It has to be very demoralizing for the Heat players to have more fans cheer against you than for you in your own building.

Surprisingly enough, the Heat are starting to build a following in Abbotsford. Went to 2 Utica games, and in one the cheers were about even for both sides, and in the other it sounded like Abbotsford was getting most of the support. The arena's were pretty full vs. Utica though, it seems like those games sell more

Then again, I was watching this from Club seats where the people around me cheer for Abbotsford because they go to most games over the Canucks affiliate

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Surprisingly enough, the Heat are starting to build a following in Abbotsford. Went to 2 Utica games, and in one the cheers were about even for both sides, and in the other it sounded like Abbotsford was getting most of the support. The arena's were pretty full vs. Utica though, it seems like those games sell more

Then again, I was watching this from Club seats where the people around me cheer for Abbotsford because they go to most games over the Canucks affiliate

It's hard to tell for sure watching an internet stream and listening to a radio feed. The Heat goals are artificially loud since they are aided with a goal horn and music. I know the two game winning OT goals it was noticeably loud without the addition of any artificial noise generation.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
can anyone add any insight to this article??

http://poststar.com/news/local/calg...cle_d24a5e8a-b087-11e3-ad54-0019bb2963f4.html

looks like the flames are looking for options. and word on the canucks moving in to abbotsford???

There's been speculation for the better part of a year now that something's in the works. This is another wrinkle.

If the financial terms have to be re-evaluated this summer, then I can't see the City of Abbotsford being too excited to pay out millions of dollars over the next five years.

Perhaps a way to recover some of the lost money in the sweetheart deal would be to sell the franchise rights to Vancouver?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad