Speculation: Flames to move AHL affiliate to Utica, NY?

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Have you guys heard anything about this? According to this article, it's a done deal.

http://www.uticaod.com/blogs/x11459...key-Returns-To-Utica-Aud-For-2013-2014-Season

No longer rumor, but fact - professional hockey will once again be on display in New York's Mohawk Valley. An American Hockey League affiliate will be in operation for the 2013-2014 season. The Calgary Flames of the National Hockey League's western conference will be developing their talent in the Utica Memorial Auditorium.

Heyoooo*

I just saw this. Utica is where im from.

Theres been no news on this, or I at least havent seen any.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My response from the Abbotsford topic.

Why would the Heat go from Abby - a drivable distance from Calgary - to New York state?

First I'm hearing of it, but it just doesn't make sense. At all.

I would hate to see Abbotsford lose the Heat, but you have to think logically here.

Since the Heat moved to Abbotsford we have led or at least been near the top in injuries, this is often attributed to travel and scheduling since Abbotsford rarely plays weekday games at home and are forced into back to back, if not back to back to back games on a regular basis. 62 of our 76 games are part of a back to back (or b2b2b) situation! That's over 80% of our schedule!

this map sums up the Heats problems perfectly.

They need to move out east, it will give them more time to practice, travel will not wear them down like it is currently and I hate to take this shot at my hometown but at least people will show up to the damn games if they move to Utica.

Also the owner of the Canucks is trying to (or maybe has by now) buy the AESC, it is rumored that he want's the Canucks AHL affiliate in Abbotsford and may be willing to pay a pretty penny to push the Flames out.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
My response from the Abbotsford topic.

Also the owner of the Canucks is trying to (or maybe has by now) buy the AESC, it is rumored that he want's the Canucks AHL affiliate in Abbotsford and may be willing to pay a pretty penny to push the Flames out.

Wow that map is jarring. I see your point that they should be moved.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
A move eastward makes a lot of sense actually. Logistically, financially, from a players health perspective, travel and so on. And I'm sure the Flames are receiving a fairly substantial financial incentive to leave Abbotsford.

But it would be nice if the farm team could have some stability too.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Way less travel for the guys. Probably a good thing and it never did make sense to have a Flames affiliate in Canucks territory. The downside is emergency callups are no longer a short flight away.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Way less travel for the guys. Probably a good thing and it never did make sense to have a Flames affiliate in Canucks territory. The downside is emergency callups are no longer a short flight away.
how many times in the past 3 years has there been an emergency call up situation where they didn't know the day before? Quite frankly I don't remember a single time.

Sep 13, 2009
Wtf..

Why do we keep relocating our minor-league affiliate every 3 or 4 years? It's no wonder we can't develop any of our prospects. They don't know where to report. :rolly:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why do we keep relocating our minor-league affiliate every 3 or 4 years? It's no wonder we can't develop any of our prospects. They don't know where to report. :rolly:
that is pretty common in the AHL. Affiliations change regularly.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

haldrich1

Feb 24, 2013
Utica,NY

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 6.24.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 6.24.40 PM.png
    358.6 KB · Views: 20

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I'm from Rome, NY and I watched several teams fall in Utica like dominoes. I had breakfast at the Harbor Inn in a booth across from Doug Brown of the Devils. I saw the Utica Bulldogs, Blizzard, the Prowlers, the Comets...

Utica is a horrible city with 50% of the inhabitants on welfare. People would be interested in hockey if they didn't have to worry about how to make next month's rent. It's a black hole for hockey. The only hockey that has consistently thrived there is the Utica Pioneer's.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad