Speculation: Flames to move AHL affiliate to Utica, NY?

haldrich1

Feb 24, 2013
Utica,NY
I'm from Rome, NY and I watched several teams fall in Utica like dominoes. I had breakfast at the Harbor Inn in a booth across from Doug Brown of the Devils. I saw the Utica Bulldogs, Blizzard, the Prowlers, the Comets...

Utica is a horrible city with 50% of the inhabitants on welfare. People would be interested in hockey if they didn't have to worry about how to make next month's rent. It's a black hole for hockey. The only hockey that has consistently thrived there is the Utica Pioneer's.

YUP they all failed, and all three had bad underfunded owners. the prospective ownership group is being led by rob eshe (confirmed by wktv news) and one other person (rumor tom clark) and the other rumor is a former AHL owner Frank DuRoss is going to run day to day operations. your right many in utica are on the public dole, but it will not be marketed and aimed at them anyway.its easy for Utica College to thrive when the tickets are basically being given away.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
YUP they all failed, and all three had bad underfunded owners. the prospective ownership group is being led by rob eshe (confirmed by wktv news) and one other person (rumor tom clark) and the other rumor is a former AHL owner Frank DuRoss is going to run day to day operations. your right many in utica are on the public dole, but it will not be marketed and aimed at them anyway.its easy for Utica College to thrive when the tickets are basically being given away.

Why are you making a point that Robert Esche is one of the owners? Is that supposed to make ownership any more stable? You can have the greatest ownership in the world but if no one comes to the games then no one comes to the games.

Heyoooo*

The guy from Rome is downtalking Utica?

I remember youth hockey games growing up, we used to count trailer parks on our way through Rome to pass the time.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm from Rome, NY and I watched several teams fall in Utica like dominoes. I had breakfast at the Harbor Inn in a booth across from Doug Brown of the Devils. I saw the Utica Bulldogs, Blizzard, the Prowlers, the Comets...

Utica is a horrible city with 50% of the inhabitants on welfare. People would be interested in hockey if they didn't have to worry about how to make next month's rent. It's a black hole for hockey. The only hockey that has consistently thrived there is the Utica Pioneer's.

I remember youth hockey games growing up, we used to count trailer parks on our way through Rome to pass the time.

I love this thread. :laugh:

Heyoooo*

Why are you making a point that Robert Esche is one of the owners? Is that supposed to make ownership any more stable? You can have the greatest ownership in the world but if no one comes to the games then no one comes to the games.

Hes still a local guy, and an ex-NHLer with obvious ties and $$$. Kevin Todd is also still around the area.

UC Hockey leads D-III in attendance and is one of the top in the nation.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A pissing match about 2 towns/cities in NY state on a Flames board. I can honestly say I never expected to see that.

pjcnyr22

Feb 5, 2008
It is a hockey town. The New York State hockey high school state finals are held here every year. Several schools within 15 miles of the utica have won the state title in their division several times. The city has had some real bad luck with shady people coming in and trying to run a hockey team here. The place seats about 4000. And I bet most people reading this board have seen it at least once in their life. Slap shot was filmed there. The scene with the brawl before the game starts. You know "I'm listening to the ********* song" that's the utica aud. it's not a bad place to have a team but honestly I'm not sure if they can get the attendance to support a team. They do get about 3000 to 3500 for the local college team. But tickets are only $5. I will say with Syracuse, Albany, and Rochester right down the road it will make for several rivalries that would help attendance.

Heyoooo*

Not a hockey market?

Sounds like a great idea for the Flames to put their farm team, again.

Thats a joke, right?

Utica is a great hockey market. Upstate NY in general. Hockey is big all over the state.

Slap Shot was filmed at the Utica Aud and MSG was modeled after the arena as well. Clearly you can see this in the Facebook cover photo.

Heyoooo*

It is a hockey town. The New York State hockey high school state finals are held here every year. Several schools within 15 miles of the utica have won the state title in their division several times. The city has had some real bad luck with shady people coming in and trying to run a hockey team here. The place seats about 4000. And I bet most people reading this board have seen it at least once in their life. Slap shot was filmed there. The scene with the brawl before the game starts. You know "I'm listening to the ********* song" that's the utica aud. it's not a bad place to have a team but honestly I'm not sure if they can get the attendance to support a team. They do get about 3000 to 3500 for the local college team. But tickets are only $5. I will say with Syracuse, Albany, and Rochester right down the road it will make for several rivalries that would help attendance.

Yep. I know a ton of people that want jerseys already.

People always like to reminisce about the Utica Devils and Brodeur, Guerin, etc.

Fellow Ranger fan, eh?

pjcnyr22

Feb 5, 2008
Yep. I know a ton of people that want jerseys already.

People always like to reminisce about the Utica Devils and Brodeur, Guerin, etc.

Fellow Ranger fan, eh?

Why yes I am. And a huge utica flames fan if it works out.

Heyoooo*

I grew up there, played youth for the Utica Thunder/HS hockey for Proctor. I cant believe there are people who think its not a hockey market. :laugh:

The best hockey players from NY are from Upstate, especially today. Hockey is massive Upstate.

I was never a Devils fan though, for obvious reasons.

Utica is very provincial and will really get behind this team. Trust us on this one Albertans. If I had to pick a bigger city that is like Utica id say either Philly or Chicago, sports wise.

Heyoooo*

I can also see promos with this.

g244000000000000000eeaa401d4a4205cab46190246c4ae9d3b2bcdc69.jpg

The official beer of the Utica Flames.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd rather it be called the Utica Heat, just so I don't have to look at the ugly flaming logo. The Heat logo is a lot more appealing.
seriously first you wish the Flames will lose in game topics and now you trash the logo? who do you think you are? I am offended that you might actually consider yourself a fan.

:yo:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Thats a joke, right?

Utica is a great hockey market. Upstate NY in general. Hockey is big all over the state.

Slap Shot was filmed at the Utica Aud and MSG was modeled after the arena as well. Clearly you can see this in the Facebook cover photo.
Joke, no. Mistake, perhaps - and hopefully so.

Just going off what I read from others. Sounds like what I read was untrue.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
seriously first you wish the Flames will lose in game topics and now you trash the logo? who do you think you are? I am offended that you might actually consider yourself a fan.

I don't wish that the Flames will lose games, what fan does? But if we do lose games, I'd rather the team do it in this shortened season and end up with a better chance to get a top 5 draft to get a good prospect. It would be a much better fate than finishing 9th in the West.

And I just said that I prefer the existing Abbotsford Heat logo than the flaming 'U'. Sorry if I don't share the same opinion of you. I don't see how me having different thoughts on different subjects about this club makes me any less of a fan than you. If you and the others don't like me, fine. I'll stay away from the boards.

Heyoooo*

Joke, no. Mistake, perhaps - and hopefully so.

Just going off what I read from others. Sounds like what I read was untrue.

Hockey market it 100% is, but its no secret the city itself has seen better days.

Its a typical rust belt city. ****** weather and ****** economy.

Theres a brewery in town (FX Matt's) known pretty well in this region for Utica Club and Saranac, and its got a very diverse population for a city of 60,000.

People always say the two good things about Utica are the food and the beer. Lots of types of foods you dont find anywhere else. Thats about it. The Mob ran Utica for about 50 years and its a ****hole now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't wish that the Flames will lose games, what fan does? But if we do lose games, I'd rather the team do it in this shortened season and end up with a better chance to get a top 5 draft to get a good prospect. It would be a much better fate than finishing 9th in the West.

And I just said that I prefer the existing Abbotsford Heat logo than the flaming 'U'. Sorry if I don't share the same opinion of you. I don't see how me having different thoughts on different subjects about this club makes me any less of a fan than you. If you and the others don't like me, fine. I'll stay away from the boards.
I never knew you were talking about a flaming U, i thought you were talking about the Flames actual logo

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

Actually I change my mind. I enjoy conversing with Flames fans here and I learn a lot from these guys, whether it be team updates or even different points of views on issues that in turn broaden my own perspective . If my differing opinions offend you so much just put me in your ignore list.

Last edited:

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH

Maybe in Floyd or Taberg but there are no trailer parks in Rome. And im not saying Rome is anything other than a cesspool itself but Utica is just a black hole of hockey teams. Whatever...enjoy living life in the red, financially, for the next 10 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad