Flames Suck, Byron Rulz!ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ The Monabae Hates Life Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Wow, okay, just watched the highlights. I'm not going to read back through this thread, but I'm assuming everyone agrees this was basically a goalie loss?

Man, don't think 100TG is going to be eating crow on this one any time soon. Ortio is not currently an NHL goaltender. Whether that's just rust or what, he just gave us the worst goaltending performance we've seen all season long in a season where we've had very shaky goaltending.

Eh, Ortio was pretty bad. Russell and Wideman were somehow worse. Everyone will say the first goal was a back-breaker, and it was definitely soft, but the team didn't actually quit trying until it was 3-2 Habs.

Thing is, Ortio was no worse than Hiller or Ramo; all of them have let in soft goals at the worst times in every game they've played. If at any given time, one of them is playing poorly, it's an isolated incident. Two? Poor timing. Three? That's some incredibly bad luck.

So the question is, did all three goalies suddenly forget how to make saves over the off-season? Or is something else going on here?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Wow, okay, just watched the highlights. I'm not going to read back through this thread, but I'm assuming everyone agrees this was basically a goalie loss

lHpnGc1.png

It was an "everyone but Gaudreau" loss. Hamilton actually played well, comparatively.

Icing on the cake was Byron with the short handed breakaway goal. :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Weird. Highlights were misleading then. What I saw was the Flames not burying easy chances and Ortio letting in 2-3 bad goals.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Wow, okay, just watched the highlights. I'm not going to read back through this thread, but I'm assuming everyone agrees this was basically a goalie loss?

Man, don't think 100TG is going to be eating crow on this one any time soon. Ortio is not currently an NHL goaltender. Whether that's just rust or what, he just gave us the worst goaltending performance we've seen all season long in a season where we've had very shaky goaltending.

Could Ortio have saved all but two goals tonight? Yes. Absolutely.
Did he let in any genuinely soft goals? No. Every goal scored was in the slot area or crease and would be defined as a scoring chance.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Could Ortio have saved all but two goals tonight? Yes. Absolutely.
Did he let in any genuinely soft goals? No. Every goal scored was in the slot area or crease and would be defined as a scoring chance.

I don't know if there's any reasonable argument for Weise's first goal, and probably second.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Ortio was bad.

That cost us the game.

But what really cost us the game, and has been the primary factor effing up our season is that we entered camp with 3 goalies to begin with.

3 goalies meant that constant media pressure/questioning was envitable...meant that no one was in sync and each tender was looking over their shoulder not at there handcuffing/battery mate but rather at 1 musical (starting goalie) chair and 3 dancers.

With being in the conundrum of having 3 goalies the right move was to waive one of them, and I understand why it was Ramo. The problem then became that when the time came for Ortio to play (which came soon) he literally would be thrust into action with almost no normal Flames season practice time under his belt.

So not only did the 3 goalie situation mean they were all going to be psychologically edgy and set up to fail, but moreover once we went to 2 goalies Ortio hadn't the NHL practice time and first team (NFL comparison) reps to be up to speed.

It's odd to say but the best thing that could happen now would be if Hiller for some reason was out for 6 months. This would allow both to practice, get up to game speed, and soon enough 1 or both would be playing well in a normal 2 goalie rotation and at that point I would trust Hartley's intuition on going with the hot hand (as he did well last year).

The mismanagement of the goaltending, the missing of Brodie at the beginning and Gio needing some time to getting his timing/coordination back are the two biggest factors we've had.

The fact is Ortio let in 2 or 3 BAD goals tonight. Average NHL goaltending and we may have won this tonight. And Ortio is capabale of giving us that ~ but not on 1 or 2 NHL practices.

I don't think most will agree with me, but I've been a season ticket holder since 2001 and a life long Flames fan since 89 and I really believe I'm right. :)

Cheers,

Q

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Would it be crazy to call Gillies up now? I feel like that's the last resort before trading for a goalie

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Would it be crazy to call Gillies up now? I feel like that's the last resort before trading for a goalie

Yes it would be crazy. Treliving and co,. would rather lose every game for the rest of the year then risk rushing Gillies and bringing him up now.

15/16 - Gillies - Zero Games
16/17 - Gillies - 0-5 Games
17/18 - Gilies - 25-50 Games
18/19 - Gillies chance to be the man

I think that's the type of time frame he is on.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Yes it would be crazy. Treliving and co,. would rather lose every game for the rest of the year then risk rushing Gillies and bringing him up now.

Yeah something like that, but still it would be a pipe dream to call him up and then save the goaltending and come back and we win the Stanley cup :sarcasm:

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I knew this would happen and it still happened :cry:

Since it doesn't seem realistic to expect anyone else to step up, I hope Gaudreau starts scoring goals soon. A 50G 80A season from him might give us, what? 10 wins? I'd be happy with that. I just want to see the Flames not lose before I die, to be honest.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
The only positive is that Mathews is moving from my favorite team in Switzerland to my favorite team in the NHL:handclap:

:cry:

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Eh, Ortio was pretty bad. Russell and Wideman were somehow worse. Everyone will say the first goal was a back-breaker, and it was definitely soft, but the team didn't actually quit trying until it was 3-2 Habs.

Thing is, Ortio was no worse than Hiller or Ramo; all of them have let in soft goals at the worst times in every game they've played. If at any given time, one of them is playing poorly, it's an isolated incident. Two? Poor timing. Three? That's some incredibly bad luck.

So the question is, did all three goalies suddenly forget how to make saves over the off-season? Or is something else going on here?

no they hired Edmonton's old goalie coach in secret..:laugh:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Partially, but not all of it should go on the goalie. The team didn't rally back, and **** hit the fan.

The team is not good enough to win with a below average goalie.

Basically they are toast without strong goaltending. Some teams have enough fire power to survive some bad goals. Not the Flames.

Goaltending is not the only problem but it's the biggest blame.

They have no confidence in their goalies. Everybody is playing scare. When you do that, you make a lot of mistakes

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The only positive is that Mathews is moving from my favorite team in Switzerland to my favorite team in the NHL:handclap:

:cry:

Unfortunately the Oilers are still in the lottery and they are very good at it. :laugh:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Last night, goaltending let us down. Plain and simple. We were playing really good hockey for the first half but Ortio couldn't stop the puck to save his life, and it broke the teams back and deflated them. When the teams this fragile, we need those saves.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The goalie situation is truly horrendous. Not a single one of these guys looks like an NHL goalie. Hillier has been horrible, Ramo's been terrible and Ortio's been garbage in his starts.

In addition Wideman has reverted back to his old defensive self. The goal that opened the floodgates both him and Russell screwed up majorly, and that seems to be a common scenario. Hell even in the first goal he falls and goes sliding towards the boards. Taking himself out of the play.

Overall it was a major tire fire again last night. I though Bennett, Gaudreau, Jooris, Brodie and Hamilton looked alright actually. Honestly the entire team didn't play horribly, but bad goaltending and bad defense from the top 4 can sink any ship.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
What now? Panic mode yet? Didn't get to catch the game or even bothered to watch the highlights... and for good reason.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The goalie situation is truly horrendous. Not a single one of these guys looks like an NHL goalie. Hillier has been horrible, Ramo's been terrible and Ortio's been garbage in his starts.

In addition Wideman has reverted back to his old defensive self. The goal that opened the floodgates both him and Russell screwed up majorly, and that seems to be a common scenario. Hell even in the first goal he falls and goes sliding towards the boards. Taking himself out of the play.

Overall it was a major tire fire again last night. I though Bennett, Gaudreau, Jooris, Brodie and Hamilton looked alright actually. Honestly the entire team didn't play horribly, but bad goaltending and bad defense from the top 4 can sink any ship.

You could tell, once that goal went in, the wheels fell off. This team is way to fragile right now to be making those mistakes, and to not get the timely saves.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I think it is too early to comment on his time frame. 5 games into his pro career he has pretty good numbers but is only 3-2. He has 2 shutouts, the first of which he wasn't really tested, the second he stole the game. In his losses he has allowed 4 & 5 goals against, I have yet to watch the San Antonio game where he allowed 5 in 40 minutes, but I assume it was not pretty. In his first loss he really only made a mistake on one of the goals.

If Gillies continues to improve his consistency and has a very strong season he could very well see a few games this year. I think his career path could be quite similar to John Gibson's. Hopefully the Flames have more sense than to make him a backup in the NHL in his second pro season though.

I'd like to revisit this thought when Stockton has played half a season.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think it is too early to comment on his time frame. 5 games into his pro career he has pretty good numbers but is only 3-2. He has 2 shutouts, the first of which he wasn't really tested, the second he stole the game. In his losses he has allowed 4 & 5 goals against, I have yet to watch the San Antonio game where he allowed 5 in 40 minutes, but I assume it was not pretty. In his first loss he really only made a mistake on one of the goals.

If Gillies continues to improve his consistency and has a very strong season he could very well see a few games this year. I think his career path could be quite similar to John Gibson's. Hopefully the Flames have more sense than to make him a backup in the NHL in his second pro season though.

I'd like to revisit this thought when Stockton has played half a season.

Goaltending prospect is a crapshoot. We had high expectation on many of the Flames goaltending prospects for years (latest Ortio)...None of them turned into anything.....Actually the only goalie drafted by the Flames that became something in recent memory was Anderson and he developed somewhere else....

And it is not that recent lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad