GDT: Flames @ Stars: 3:30 MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
They have scored one goal 5v5, they have the worst on-ice metrics on the team. They've been bad and they have been for months.

So we are 4-1 and the first line HASN'T been costing us games like last year. They aren't trying to do too much and shooting themselves in the foot which is a step forward. As I said previously this line is learning to play playoff hockey and are making sure they are not costing the team. When things start to click or the opposition switches their focus to another line Johnny, Monny and Lindholm will be there.

The Flames are 4-1 and you guys still find a way to b!tch and moan.. go figure.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Shut-up ... They had the most points in the play-in. Many out there are quick to be critical and blindly look away when they are producing. This team has depth for a reason and that is so when the opposition keys on the top line the others can add in.

It's not about producing or not producing. You need your top line to dominate 5v5. Even when they're scoring at ES, it's because Lindholm, Monahan, or Gaudreau has great hands, not because they're imposing their will on the other team.

Our top line is Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane - because they actually impose their will. And at this point, our second line is the one with the corpse of Milan Lucic on it.

On a fundamental level, the Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm line does not play with the kind of transition we need them to. Picking up a few chintzy PP and EN points doesn't change that.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
So we are 4-1 and the first line HASN'T been costing us games like last year. They aren't trying to do too much and shooting themselves in the foot which is a step forward. As I said previously this line is learning to play playoff hockey and are making sure they are not costing the team. When things start to click or the opposition switches their focus to another line Johnny, Monny and Lindholm will be there.

The Flames are 4-1 and you guys still find a way to b!tch and moan.. go figure.

Or the Flames are 4-1 and I think they can be even better? They aren't doing anything at even strength, they might as well be a 4th line. They get outshot and outchanced every game it's only a matter of time until they start giving up real goals against. I want the Flames to be the best they can be and that probably involves splitting up a combo that hasn't worked.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Or the Flames are 4-1 and I think they can be even better? They aren't doing anything at even strength, they might as well be a 4th line. They get outshot and outchanced every game it's only a matter of time until they start giving up real goals against. I want the Flames to be the best they can be and that probably involves splitting up a combo that hasn't worked.
By a Cogliano-Faksa-Comeau line, nonetheless.

That can’t happen

Reactions: Dack

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

I don't think I know they can be better but for a change this team is playing disciplined playoff hockey. They are playing safe and when they have the lead they are locking games down.

I don't care how the Flames win.. just that they do. Our depth is winning us games and that is a great thing because that is one advantage we have on just about every team.

I turn on the games and enjoy the good that I am seeing. You all were freaking out about Gio's delay of game where as I got to enjoy how well the PK is playing.

The Flames are playing the best hockey as a team since 04. You know when ole man Gelinas was scoring game winners and unknowns Montador and Commodore where heros on the blue line. That team made it to the finals as a team.

This is the first time since I have seen the Flames play as a team since in the playoffs. The Flames in 04 didn't start looking all that great until Detroit. That's when the fans started to believe.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Relying on depth scoring is a very unsustainable way of winning. When the Bennett line has an off night (and they will) we will be in trouble - our top players don’t look capable of picking up the slack for them. Unless of course we get a handful of PP’s. 5 on 5 nothing is happening. Even Tkachuk hasn’t created many scoring chances

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
By a Cogliano-Faksa-Comeau line, nonetheless.

That can’t happen

Yeah how can 2 speedsters and a outstanding, physical, defensive center shut down our first line hmmm. Cogliano always caused this line fits in Anaheim... Comeau we have seen shut down other players. And your having problems seeing how this happened? Have you ever watched the playoffs before?

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Relying on depth scoring is a very unsustainable way of winning. When the Bennett line has an off night (and they will) we will be in trouble - our top players don’t look capable of picking up the slack for them. Unless of course we get a handful of PP’s. 5 on 5 nothing is happening. Even Tkachuk hasn’t created many scoring chances
Have you ever watched playoff hockey before? St. Louis scored by committee. Tarasenko was shut down last year in the first round???

Dallas found all of its success this year by playing defense. Ever wonder why Seguin only scored 50 points... Benn 39 .. Radulov 35 .. Klingberg only had 26... All these are career lows for these players.

I don't understand why our guys aren't generating more????? huh??? What games have you been watching?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I don't think I know they can be better but for a change this team is playing disciplined playoff hockey. They are playing safe and when they have the lead they are locking games down.

I don't care how the Flames win.. just that they do. Our depth is winning us games and that is a great thing because that is one advantage we have on just about every team.

I turn on the games and enjoy the good that I am seeing. You all were freaking out about Gio's delay of game where as I got to enjoy how well the PK is playing.

The Flames are playing the best hockey as a team since 04.

They played just as well last time Bennett was a center in the playoffs. Elliott was just awful.

You know when ole man Gelinas was scoring game winners and unknowns Montador and Commodore where heros on the blue line. That team made it to the finals as a team.

Gelinas was on our top line with Conroy and Iginla.

Montadore and Commodore weren't our horses in that run, it was guys like Leopold and Regehr

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Yeah how can 2 speedsters and a outstanding, physical, defensive center shut down our first line hmmm. Cogliano always caused this line fits in Anaheim... Comeau we have seen shut down other players. And your having problems seeing how this happened? Have you ever watched the playoffs before?

Are you seriously defending a 1st line being severely outplayed by a 4th? They didn’t just shut them down, they kept them gemmed in our own zone and generated more at 5 on 5.

That’s such a tough look no matter how you slice it. It can’t be justified. It’s one thing to get kept off the scoresheet, it’s another to be playing nearly all your shifts in the defensive zone.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Have you ever watched playoff hockey before? St. Louis scored by committee. Tarasenko was shut down last year in the first round???

Dallas found all of its success this year by playing defense. Ever wonder why Seguin only scored 50 points... Benn 39 .. Radulov 35 .. Klingberg only had 26... All these are career lows for these players.

I don't understand why our guys aren't generating more????? huh??? What games have you been watching?
If you want to have a serious debate about this, get away from the childish “have you ever watched playoff hockey before”, it adds nothing and is completely false. Grow up.

Moving on from that, your claim really doesn’t hold up with a simple look at the Blues playoff stats last year...their top 6 handily out scored their bottom 6. Like, not even close. It’s pretty clear without their top guys playing and producing the ya Pilsner have rode their depth players to a cup. But hey, whatever fits your narrative, right?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Hanifin and Andersson were a bit shaky, same with all hte defense really. A big issue was lack of communication and abusing the boards on the breakout. Second goal Hanifin has time and space but just smacks it up the boards. Of course, you want Talbot to save a weak shot like that but we aren't in that situation of Hanifin waits and assesses the situation properly, same thing happened with Brodie where he threw it behind the net despite Giordano not being in position to take the pass and it turned into chances for them--you can find a moment like that for most of the D. Need to sort that out, but I also like the pace we played with. Only major issue I had was Giordano with the boneheaded penalty at the end.

The Flames were great at keeping most of Dallas' chances out of the slot. While it was stressful when the Stars were cycling the hell out of the Flames, they were very rarely pushing the puck into the slot cleanly.

Dube was a force out there, Lucic as hit or miss--good in the first but sus in the later periods--Bennett banged it. Second line was also great, they imposed themselves physically and produced chances despite not getting a goal. The powerplay looked clean af and was the cause of one of our goals (obviously). The top line was hit or miss. If they gained the zone they'd cycle and produce chances, if the other team got the zone they wouldn't be able to get through the Stars D and clear the zone. Monahan played great from my eye, Lindholm still needs to give more imo, but that entire line needs to control 5v5 a lot better than they do, until then they're the second line as far as I'm concerned. 4th line produced good chances, Rieder is a great forechecker and PKer, if he just had the ability to finish he'd be great, but alas, he can't. I liked Jankowski's game, he actually hit, and Ryan is always dependable. They had the same issues as the first line in terms of difficulty breaking out.

In away games there's little complaints we can give to the Monahan line, Dallas has a great shutdown line centred by Comeau that, as the home team, they can matchup against our top offensive line. Once we are the home team I think that will be more telling on how that line produces. If they get away from that matchup and still struggle I'll be concerned, but them taking that matchup and breaking even gives Tkachuk and Bennett's lines the ability to produce the way they do.

I love Rasmus Andersson and Dillon Dube. Young guns won us this game.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Could almost say we stole one. Pathetic 40 minutes, really
Not at all. What dangerous chances did Dallas really produce? Did they get more than the Flames? The 2nd and 3rd periods were more even, that doesn't mean the Flames were outplayed either. It was back and forth with either team being able to dominate the pressure and get chances, but Calgary made more plays into the slot while Dallas tried to work it back to the point for long shots that got blocked, or put back in the corners. Plus, their two goals weren't good at all, you could reasonably argue that Talbot could've had a shutout imo, this was a deserve win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad