Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Josh Jooris to 1-year, $975K contract

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I like the AAV. If nothing else, the term allows managements to keep him a RFA when the contract is over so they can buy more UFA years after next year.

Where did I say he wasn't going to be good? or something along those lines? I didn't.

All I've said is, prove that he can play like he did over a longer period of time and then give him an NHL contact... Ex. Backlund, Bouma.

giving him a long term contract could really hurt if he regresses to the Josh Jooris that was a long shot to make the NHL as early as last year.
You're exaggerating Jooris' "decline".

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, the other thing with Jooris' "decline" other than his injury is the fact that he was playing between Hudler and Gaudreau earlier in the season. That's going to make you look really good.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Where did I say he wasn't going to be good? or something along those lines? I didn't.

All I've said is, prove that he can play like he did over a longer period of time and then give him an NHL contact... Ex. Backlund, Bouma.

giving him a long term contract could really hurt if he regresses to the Josh Jooris that was a long shot to make the NHL as early as last year.

Agreed. This is more of a "Do it again and we'll give you more" type of deal. He wasn't even supposed to be on the roster initially, and unfortunately he didn't return to form after he came back from his injury.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Congrats Josh! Hopefully you can bring even more next year and continue to grow as a player in the NHL.

Good deal for both parties, I can't help but wonder who is going to get eventually get cut from our roster as a result of these signings.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Yeah, the other thing with Jooris' "decline" other than his injury is the fact that he was playing between Hudler and Gaudreau earlier in the season. That's going to make you look really good.

And he did not look out of place playing with those two.

Happy he's signed up and I think he has to show more next season. He was absolutely outstanding early in the season but his quick, hard forecheck game slowed down a bit later on. He's the prototype of the style of game we play.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Congrats Josh! Hopefully you can bring even more next year and continue to grow as a player in the NHL.

Good deal for both parties, I can't help but wonder who is going to get eventually get cut from our roster as a result of these signings.

I think training camp will force some moves. Like, we all odd man out a guy like Shore; but according to Treliving, the guys was a commodity at the deadline.

You have to assume they want him playing some minutes. Along with Jooris, Ferland and the other kids.

This team has way too much depth on it right now, it's painful, because you know someone will likely have to go; and you know they'll be an effective player elsewhere. The only guys I don't think most people care about seeing moved are like Raymond, maybe the super stud... And a few dmen.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think training camp will force some moves. Like, we all odd man out a guy like Shore; but according to Treliving, the guys was a commodity at the deadline.

You have to assume they want him playing some minutes. Along with Jooris, Ferland and the other kids.

This team has way too much depth on it right now, it's painful, because you know someone will likely have to go; and you know they'll be an effective player elsewhere. The only guys I don't think most people care about seeing moved are like Raymond, maybe the super stud... And a few dmen.

Honestly, Shore is really underrated. I think he's going to be a more productive scoring forward than Colborne in the league. He came here last year, didn't play a lot and had to learn a new system, plus he's a young guy so I'm not surprised he didn't exactly blow the doors off in his debut. I think this coming preseason, you will see him hit the ground running. I think he could actually steal Jones spot, and I know for a fact that management is extremely high on Shore as every time I hear Treliving reference his name, he speaks glowingly about him. He mentions his name in with Ferland and Poirier, so I think that says a lot.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly, Shore is really underrated. I think he's going to be a more productive scoring forward than Colborne in the league. He came here last year, didn't play a lot and had to learn a new system, plus he's a young guy so I'm not surprised he didn't exactly blow the doors off in his debut. I think this coming preseason, you will see him hit the ground running. I think he could actually steal Jones spot, and I know for a fact that management is extremely high on Shore as every time I hear Treliving reference his name, he speaks glowingly about him. He mentions his name in with Ferland and Poirier, so I think that says a lot.

Shore is as talented as Granlund but with more size and strength and not a god awful centre.

He could also be the #4 centre if they have Stajan as a #3 and keep Bennett on the wing.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Shore is as talented as Granlund but with more size and strength and not a god awful centre.

He could also be the #4 centre if they have Stajan as a #3 and keep Bennett on the wing.

I fully about agree him being on par with Granlund in terms of talent. Many Panther fans were choked when Shore got traded, they had him pencilled in as their 3C for years behind Barkov and Bjugstad. But then they signed guys like Bolland and McKenzie to hit the cap floor, and suddenly that spot for Shore became less clear. When we acquired him, I looked at some of his highlights from his time with Florida, and he's scored some really nice goals. He has a really nice shot, he's a good skater and he has nice hands. Frankly, he's a prospect in a tier above Knight was for us.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I fully about agree him being on par with Granlund in terms of talent. Many Panther fans were choked when Shore got traded, they had him pencilled in as their 3C for years behind Barkov and Bjugstad. But then they signed guys like Bolland and McKenzie to hit the cap floor, and suddenly that spot for Shore became less clear. When we acquired him, I looked at some of his highlights from his time with Florida, and he's scored some really nice goals. He has a really nice shot, he's a good skater and he has nice hands. Frankly, he's a prospect in a tier above Knight was for us.
Actually I disagree on that last part, Knight was quite talented and IMO is in the same class as Granlund & Shore, he is a little bit less offensive but he is better defensively and is going to be dominant in the faceoff circle when he finally gets a chance.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Gaudreau- Monahan- Hudler
Bennett- Backlund-Frolik
Bouma-Shore- Colborne-
Ferland- Stajan- Jones

Poirrer, Jooris, Byron, Granlund, Raymond, Bolig fight for the 13th, 14th spots

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Actually I disagree on that last part, Knight was quite talented and IMO is in the same class as Granlund & Shore, he is a little bit less offensive but he is better defensively and is going to be dominant in the faceoff circle when he finally gets a chance.

Only reason I say that is because I think Shore will likely play in a top 9 role, sometimes even fill in the top 6 when needed. I think Knight is destined to be a very good bottom 6 center.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Only reason I say that is because I think Shore will likely play in a top 9 role, sometimes even fill in the top 6 when needed. I think Knight is destined to be a very good bottom 6 center.

Honestly, I think Knight and Arnold are basically the same player, the only difference being Arnold is a year and a half younger.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly, I think Knight and Arnold are basically the same player, the only difference being Arnold is a year and a half younger.
Agree 100%, Arnold made Knight expendable and Knight had no success when he was tried on RW in Abbotsford.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Shore didn't have the level of conditioning that Hartley demands from his players. One of the reasons he wasn't playing all that much. The other being learning a new system and what not. Pretty much a guarantee to be on the final 23 man roster. A good off season and training camp and he might even be in the opening night lineup. Same can be said for Ferland to a large extent.

Shore will be Jones' replacement moving forward. Doubt he see much if any time at centre unless injuries strike. I also think he'll end up surpassing Colborne on the depth chart sooner than later.

If Jooris's wrist injury is healed, he should be fighting for a spot on the opening lineup as well. Could even see him making Stajan wholly expendable before the year is out. Treliving really has some work to do on moving some bodies out. Although who knows, maybe he's saving Raymond and Smid for the odd chance the expansion draft is next summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad