Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign John Gaudreau and Bill Arnold

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Would prefer to see them sent to the Heat then play in Vancouver on Sunday. Dont see 1 NHL as beneficial as the AHL playoffs.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Such a glorious day. I'm not gonna lie. Being a Flames fan for my entire life, it seems this team has the Devil's luck more times than not. Welcome to the big time Billy and Johnny!

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
lel I THINK DEM PARENTS ARE PRETTY PROUD

Bk-m7CvIgAAAtuN.jpg

WE ARE TOO JANE AND GUY!! Calgary will take care of him!!

53! Great picture. Can't wait for Sunday!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm so happy, this really is a great day for Gaudreau, Arnold, their families, the Flames and their fans. We got a really special kid under contract here and this is a day huge for the franchise.

I honestly haven't been this excited since Iggy made his pro debut in the playoffs against the Hawks. I'll never forget that day and I won't forget Sunday either.

Congrats boys, you deserve this and welcome to Calgary!!

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Awesome news. It'll be interesting to see which of Arnold and Knight is better; they're extremely similar players.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
boston college fan here. have to ask, if gaudreau plays sunday does that burn a year off his deal? why would the flames do that? did that come from the gaudreau camp as a condition before he would agree to sign?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
boston college fan here. have to ask, if gaudreau plays sunday does that burn a year off his deal? why would the flames do that? did that come from the gaudreau camp as a condition before he would agree to sign?
Yes, it burns a year. Who's idea that was, I have no idea. But Burke likes giving college guys a look so he gets an idea how close they are to being NHL ready. So it wouldn't shock me if it was outright offered.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I always thought players need to play 10 NHL games/year before a year is burnt off, which is why there's always buzz at the start of the year as to which kids stay up with the big team or goes down by game 9?

If that's the case, playing one game doesn't burn a year off the contract otherwise these kids just got paid $900K for 10-15 minutes of game time!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I always thought players need to play 10 NHL games/year before a year is burnt off, which is why there's always buzz at the start of the year as to which kids stay up with the big team or goes down by game 9?

If that's the case, playing one game doesn't burn a year off the contract otherwise these kids just got paid $900K for 10-15 minutes of game time!
that is only 18 and 19 year olds. Once you are 20 your contract starts no matter what league you are in, unless it is specifically signed for the following season.

and contracts are pro-rated, they will get paid being being on an NHL roster for like 3 or 4 days. They will get their 90k signing bonus then 4-5k per day they are on the NHL roster. Still a nice haul though

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site

Gaudreau could have gone back to college for his final year and that was a real risk for the Flames because he could have become a free agent in August 2015 if he wasn't signed by then. They used it as incentive to get a deal done.

I think this could actually work out in the Flames' favour. If Gaudreau needs a bit of time to develop, this two-year deal (in reality) could be good for Calgary. Gaudreau could spend one year in the AHL and one year as a rookie in the NHL, which maybe means he doesn't have as much of a chance to light it up, resulting in a cheaper bridge deal. By year three as a pro, I would expect this kid to do some real damage, which could have been more costly for the Flames.

I'll put my crystal ball away. Everyone's happy right now.

Last edited:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
that is only 18 and 19 year olds. Once you are 20 your contract starts no matter what league you are in, unless it is specifically signed for the following season.

and contracts are pro-rated, they will get paid being being on an NHL roster for like 3 or 4 days. They will get their 90k signing bonus then 4-5k per day they are on the NHL roster. Still a nice haul though

Ah! You're right, I totally forgot about that, especially the pro-rated contract :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
now if you guys can just get kevin hayes to spurn the blackhawks...

;)
Meh, I personally think he will have the worst career of the 3 and I doubt they would even all play together if they were on the same organization.

I am of the opinion that if he becomes a UFA that he would be worth chasing, but not worth trading for.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I can't remember where I saw it, but I think it was TSN saying that even if they play it won't burn off a year. Again, not 100% sure and I have to force myself off the computer now.

It was not TSN. Nvm. Trying to find again despite need for sleep.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I can't remember where I saw it, but I think it was TSN saying that even if they play it won't burn off a year. Again, not 100% sure and I have to force myself off the computer now.

It was not TSN. Nvm. Trying to find again despite need for sleep.

From what I can tell, contracts can only slide if the player is 18-19. Gaudreau's first year of the contract will be burned as soon as he plays an NHL game.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
From what I can tell, contracts can only slide if the player is 18-19. Gaudreau's first year of the contract will be burned as soon as he plays an NHL game.

Again, the deal would have been hinging on playing in that one game. That way he gets his signing bonus and a few grand for being on the roster for a few days, but more importantly burning a year off the ELC. If the Flames wouldn't have agreed to the one game, he would have went back to Boston College next ear and been a free agent at the end of the season. Flames had too guarantee the game, which I think was a good move for both parties.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
THe ELC max is less than $1,000,000, plus bonuses. I think they are two year contracts, or at least they will be once they play SUnday.

I believe Arnolds will be two years and gaudreaus will be three! Both will burn a year off with tonights game, meaning Arnold is effectively signing a one year deal and gaudreau a two year deal.

And elc maxes base salary at 925k but bonuses over that can push to somewhere between 3.5 and 4 depending on negotiated bonuses

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
their base contract information has been added to the contract thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad