Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Bryce Van Brabant to 2-year ELC

JulianHopper*

Welcome Bryce Van Brabant

I admit I don't really know to much about this player. Sounds like Burke is a taking a risk here and signing a bit of an unknown player.

But it sounds like other teams wanted Van Brabant as well and seeing as he was given the maximum ELC contract could end up a good signing.

I like his size and toughness.

Welcome to the Flames Bryce Van Brabant.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I admit I don't really know to much about this player. Sounds like Burke is a taking a risk here and signing a bit of an unknown player.

But it sounds like other teams wanted Van Brabant as well and seeing as he was given the maximum ELC contract could end up a good signing.

I think there's a good chance that we had scouts watching him, and as such that he is not unknown. And the very fact that there were multiple teams offering him contracts suggests that he is very much known.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site

I think Burke sees him as a pretty low risk player. A way to increase 'organizational size' quickly.

Best case he has added some size and toughness to the Flames.

Worst case he has added some size and toughness to the Heat.

JulianHopper*

I think there's a good chance that we had scouts watching him, and as such that he is not unknown. And the very fact that there were multiple teams offering him contracts suggests that he is very much known.

Bryce Van Brabant is also an undrafted player, that's what makes this more interesting. How did he miss being drafted and then after a couple season in NCAA all of a sudden has this much interest in him.

JulianHopper*

I think Burke sees him as a pretty low risk player. A way to increase 'organizational size' quickly.

Best case he has added some size and toughness to the Flames.

Worst case he has added some size and toughness to the Heat.

The Flames having some cap space probably helped in the decision making here.

Hopefully it will turn out to be a good signing.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Bryce Van Brabant is also an undrafted player, that's what makes this more interesting. How did he miss being drafted and then after a couple season in NCAA all of a sudden has this much interest in him.
Sometimes even undrafted guys turn out alright
8470966.jpg

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

An article I linked in this thread described that this season his offensive totals skyrocketed from what they were previously. It sounds like he really underwent a lot of development this past year. Seems like a bit of a late bloomer.

Also, he attended our camp as well as a couple of other teams' this past off-season, so he wasn't a complete unknown even to Feaster.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
An article I linked in this thread described that this season his offensive totals skyrocketed from what they were previously. It sounds like he really underwent a lot of development this past year. Seems like a bit of a late bloomer.

Also, he attended our camp as well as a couple of other teams' this past off-season, so he wasn't a complete unknown even to Feaster.

I agree with this and will add that other than goalies, power forwards usually take the longest to develop because it is hard to do what they need to do night in and night out.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
excited to see him in action tonight! hopefully we can strike gold with our own Lucic with all these truculent players

JulianHopper*

Wouldn't that mean you'd expect him to be more likely to be noticed, not less?

Yes, more likely to be noticed as the Flames did and signed him as a free agent in 2004.

There are a few players that made it to the NHL and weren't drafted. I believe Messier even played in the AJHL even though he was still drafted.

All I'm saying about Van Brabant here is that it appears like a signing from out of nowhere even though he was at Flames camp last year as you mentioned. Just not a player that's been talked about a whole lot this past season.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
7295070.jpg

Didn't play NCAA. Didn't play in the OHL. Didn't play center when we were told he was a centerman.

I don't know what we're talking about.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
7295070.jpg

Didn't play NCAA. Didn't play in the OHL. Didn't play center when we were told he was a centerman.

I don't know what we're talking about.

I completely understand. Take this guy for example:

1318963977_beard_slap.gif

He hasn't even played hockey!!

JulianHopper*

I guess I just don't like how Brian Burke gave Van Brabant the max ELC when all the other players he signed earlier were just under a million.

Also Cap geek shows Van Brabant as $912,500 and the Flames site as $1.35 per season.

I hope Burke isn't trying to hard here to just make something happen.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I guess I just don't like how Brian Burke gave Van Brabant the max ELC when all the other players he signed earlier were just under a million.

When you don't own a player's rights, it means you have to actually entice them rather than simply giving them a "this deal or no deal" kind of offer.

JulianHopper*

When you don't own a player's rights, it means you have to actually entice them rather than simply giving them a "this deal or no deal" kind of offer.

We'll see next year if he's going to be better than Poirier or Klimchuk.

JulianHopper*

He isn't, but that isn't what it's about. Poirier and Klimchuk don't have negotiating leverage like van Brabant did.

But why would you sign him for that much money though? Just give him what you gave the other guys and if he doesn't like it then let him sign elsewhere.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
But why would you sign him for that much money though? Just give him what you gave the other guys and if he doesn't like it then let him sign elsewhere.

Because having the player was important to us. We felt he was worth the extra price. Put it this way, if we had to, we would've payed this much and more for Poirier or Klimchuk, but we didn't have to.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Signing a player you draft to his ELC and signing a FA are not comparable situations at all. Besides, his cap hit is pretty irrelevant to us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad